Binge watched tv shows

@patsmom Am also enjoying “Unbelievable”!!!

Half way through the Longmire series. Interesting. I’m in the part where they changed the format a bit from one crime solved per episode and some of the directing and storyline is rocky. There isn’t a lot of character development. But I like it.

I couldn’t watch something about serial rapists, too scary.

OK, we’ll give Shtisel a try. I can’t imagine it being better than Srugim, but we’ll see! :slight_smile:

^LOL it is not but most people seem to like it more. Looking forward to your opinion.

@IxnayBob , what turned your diabetes around?

We don’t have Netflix, so haven’t seen Shteisel yet. Am halfway through season 2 of Srugim. Love it. I keep adding shows to my watchlist. Usually don’t watch that much TV, but this thread has highlighted some really interesting shows.

Shtisel is much higher production quality, IMO.

But Srugim has better character development.
Shtisel is just overall sad. Little joy…

I think I can stay within forum guidelines by recommending The Diabetes Code by Dr. Jason Fung. I am not cured, but I consider myself a diabetic in remission, having gone from an HbA1c of 10.8 at my worst to 5.5, and no longer injecting 150 IU of insulin daily (pretty high dose); I have not injected any for almost two years. I believe that someone whose Type 2 diabetes is at an earlier stage than mine was can actually be cured.

I have been watching Frontera Verde on Netflix (aka Green Frontier). The BSometer goes to 11 with the story line, which involves both supernaturally gifted Noble Savages and dastardly Evil Scientists. And the presentation generally jumps back and forth among two or three story lines, without giving you cues to understand their temporal relationship until two thirds of the way through.

That said, it’s absolutely gorgeous, which makes up for all of its flaws, and interesting as well. It takes place in the part of the Amazon basin in southern Colombia, with the action split between a seedy river port town and the rain forest. It’s anthropologically very acute, with indigenous people in various stages of coming to terms with the invasion of outsiders, and outsiders with various motives.

An arrogant, intelligent, young detective (female) arrives from Bogota to investigate the massacre of five nuns in the jungle, one of whom, an indigenous woman, was mutilated in a bizarre way. Her presence discomfits any number of locals whose lives are not lived strictly within the bounds of the law, starting with the local police. In classic hard-boiled detective fashion, her investigation effectively involves a social taxonomy of the region, and her own character turns out to require as much investigating as the murders.

Meanwhile, there is a parallel story featuring the murdered and mutilated woman, involving her partner, their tribe, other tribes, and various outsiders encroaching on the jungle where they live. The two women are both strong, beautiful (of course, it’s TV), and principled, and they face the kinds of dilemmas that challenge their principles. I would love to see either of the two lead actresses in other things.

It’s engaging and educational, and the whole series runs about 5-1/2 hours, so very bingeable. It’s not super-violent, given the grisly subject matter, but there are moments of very upsetting violence, including sexual violence.

Can’t get enough of the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel!

@lxnayBob Could you summarize main points of the book? All copies in the local library are checked out. My neighbors must have read your recommendation.

For those who watched “Unbelievable”, true story behind the series if interested,

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/entertainment/a28985921/marie-adler-unbelievable-netflix/

Watching Unbelievable also - almost done with it so will wait to read articles etc until tomorrow or so.

I feel that. This isn’t too bad though. More of a Law and Order type feel than using music and other “thriller” devices. But showing of parts of the rapes mostly as flashbacks.

The characters are great.

I finished watching Unbelievable a few days ago. It is really, really good. That being said, parts of it were very hard to watch, was not sure I would keep watching after the first episode but I’m glad I did. The acting is excellent. It is not exceptionally graphic but seems very real and the emotional trauma of the victims is very present.

Watching Shetland now and I really like it also. Love the setting, love the main detective and I like that each crime takes 2 episodes to investigate and wrap up, doesn’t drag on forever.

Sure.

1. Sugar and carbohydrates in general are the enemy, not protein or fats.
  2. Metabolic syndrome (obesity (especially abdominal), high blood pressure, heart disease, type 2 diabetes) is a modern disease; it was essentially unknown before the push to a low fat diet, high intake of processed carbs (cereals and such). Follow the money. A lot of bad science has been promoted by corn and soy producers, cereal manufacturers, etc.
  3. Type 2 diabetes correlates with the push to a low fat, high carb diet, and the silly phrase that “breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” Most Americans, and many other cultures, snack incessantly rather than having clearly defined meals where they eat to satiety.
  4. Intermittent fasting is a great way to give your pancreas a break from producing insulin. It is easy to fast, especially, if you’re fat adapted (getting energy from ketones rather than glucose), and the resulting change in glucose trajectory is significant. Do not reduce caloric intake, just eat them in close time proximity; reduced calories result in a metabolic slowdown, which is counter productive. Calories in vs calories out is an outdated formula; when you eat matters quite a bit. “Delay, don’t deny.”
  5. Any low carb diet is beneficial, but a ketogenic diet is probably the best of them.
  6. I don’t know that the book said this, but I tell my kids and others: don’t think you’ve avoided the issue if your fasting glucose isn’t high. That’s a cheap blood test, and that’s why they use it. You might have low fasting glucose because you haven’t exhausted your pancreas yet, and it can still produce excessive insulin. That’s fine until it’s not. Get a full metabolic workup.

It wasn’t in this book, but an interesting factor is that much of what is recommended also applies to Alzheimer’s prevention and cognitive decline. Alzheimer’s is often called Type3 Diabetes. There’s a lot of research about insulin’s role in Alzheimer’s. It’s early days, but the research is imo compelling. albeit contrary to the modern model of “find a pill that solves this.” Ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting are showing good experimental results with epilepsy, autism, cognitive decline, etc.

And, more On Topic, some of what I’ve discussed above can also be seen on Netflix’s The Magic Pill. Recommended.

@IxnayBob I fixed my high cholesterol issue with keto diet. I try to be a high veggie keto-er, and since I lost a lot of weight I eat a fair bit of lower GI fruits too. Doctor was not sure about it before - she wanted me to start statins - but thinks the results are amazing and now says to keep doing what I’m doing.

To return to topic, I did see The Magic Pill. I’d already been keto for over a year at the time, so didn’t need the convincing. It’s an interesting documentary though it felt a bit slanted.

I agree about the slant on The Magic Pill. I should have mentioned it next to my recommendation. It is, nevertheless, persuasive.

@IxnayBob I think your posts mistakenly got added to the Binge Watch thread.

I finished Unbelievable. It reminded me a lot of American Crime Story. I finally figure out the it was really quiet - quiet at the police station, quiet when anyone was talking.

Had heard so much about Workin’ Moms but couldn’t get into it. Loved Mrs. Maisel (of course) and Dead to Me