Binge watched tv shows

Obviously, I have way too much time on my hands at the moment…
I am now watching The Bletchley Circle - WWII codebreakers, nine years post WWII, turn amateur sleuths.

DH and I are so enjoying Outlander. It can be hard to find a long series that both of us likes, so this is great. We each have a lot of Scottish roots. And of course it doesn’t hurt that Jamie and Claire are easy on the eyes!

@MaineLonghorn Outlander was probably one of my all time favorite binges. I did find that sometimes the sex scenes got a bit too much, and there was one scene I knew was coming so I fast forwarded through that, but overall it was a fabulous binge. I just saw ‘Jamie’ again in another Brit show - Island at War - he was recognizable but I could not put a name to the face. I was astonished when I found it was ‘Jamie’ no longer a Scot, but a posh Englishman!

D2 had been bugging me to watch High Fidelity. I started it last night after hearing an interview with Zoey Kravitz (I did not realize her mother was Lisa Bonet - Denise from The Cosby Show - not wonder Zoey is so beautiful between her mom and dad!)

There is just one season - I’m three shows in and I’ll def see it though. Shorter episodes too which is always a plus for me since I limit by tv time.

@momo2x2018, that’s interesting! It’s hard to picture Jamie as English, ha.

We’ve forwarded through a few of the particularly brutal scenes. We’re in the middle of season 3 now. We like it that Claire went to medical school. She was enrolled at the same time my MIL was! My FIL thought she was a candy striper. A nurse informed him that not only was MIL a year ahead of him in school, she was also smarter. ?

I have been working on Law and Order SVU, with about 20 episodes per season it is taking a while. I am on season 17 so getting near the end. The last long series that we finished was 7th Heaven. I also watched the Mrs. America series, it was interesting since I was born in 1973 so I didn’t remember much from that time and had only covered bits and pieces of it in school.

I have several that are on my list to watch but not sure which one I will start next, sometimes I switch between 2 different ones depending on my mood. Blue Bloods, Law and Order(original), Law and Order Criminal Intent, Criminal Minds, Golden Girls, Frasier. A lot of those shows were things that I watched when they came out, but being busy often missed them so I have lots of episodes that I haven’t seen and have forgotten some that I did see.

I rarely watch any of the newer shows because it seems so hard to find current stuff that isn’t full of bad language, over-the-top sexual content and other stuff. Are there any good newer series that are relatively clean?

^^ LOL! My S, while studying for his ‘final final’, was watching my latest binge over my shoulder last night. There was a scene where the husband, not knowing his wife was a former WWII codebreaker, was dismissing her analytical theory on a spate of brutal crimes; instead of discussing with her, he told her he would buy her a ‘harder book of puzzles’ and not to trouble herself with such matters. S laughed and I told him that’s how (in my lifetime) men treated women, as unintelligent ‘things’.

Back to Outlander - Season 5 finale is brutal

We recently finished all 7 seasons of The West Wing and now we’re watching Breaking Bad.

My kid just finished Lost. We had watched it together but he was young then and slot went over his head. He’s onto Breaking Bad now, too.

I loved BB - but it was so stressful to watch. My stomach was always in knots, but I couldn’t stop watching.

@emilybee Yes, it’s so suspenseful!
It’s probably one of my top 3 series of all time.

If any of you are BB fans and haven’t seen Better Call Saul yet, give it a try. It’s different than BB but still good. This past season, more BB characters have been intoduced into the show, which has been pretty cool.

New Grantchester tonight on PBS. Corny but I’ll watch.

Has anyone else watched the most recent season of Queer Eye? I have loved most of the episodes in previous seasons (didn’t really get into the Japan episodes though), but I really felt this season the episodes are not as cohesive. I still enjoyed the shows but somehow didn’t feel like it was the same quality as the earlier seasons. Although I still got teary eyed on several of the shows.
Also, finished up Gilmore Girls (including a Year in the Life) and my daughter and I cried like babies at the end. Happy that she and I had this time to bond over that series.

@momo2x2018 : The Bletchley Circle was really interesting in that it was a foray into the post war era, especially for these women who were highly skilled and suddenly couldn’t use these skills or even their brains, whom no one took seriously. I hope you enjoy it.

@HeartofDixie : Bletchley Circle, Granchester, Gilmore Girls, Shetland (police investigation so not 7th Heaven since there’s crime and criminals, but it’s not as graphic as SVU so you should be OK), Continuum, A French Village (to a certain extent: it deals with WW2 and Nazi Occupation in France so it’s not “7th Heaven” or “Golden Girls”.) In terms of comedy, The Goldbergs, The Kids are Alright, Black-ish, Schitt’s Creek (watch Episode 1 then skip entire 1st season), Broke, Single Parents, should be OK.

@MYOS1634 Thanks! I loved Bletchley Circle, I was sorry when it came to an end.

Now, I’m watching The Fall with Gillian Anderson and Jamie Dornan; it’s a gripping psychological thriller, with a somewhat unbelievable plot line!

I loved The Fall, too. Both characters are very well-drawn. You really, really wonder whether he’ll get caught. Also, made it very clear how “nice” and “good” are not similar - the “nice” guy is evil, the “abrupt” cop is a remarkably good person (not just professionally, but humanely ← trying to find a non spoilerish way to explain).

@HeartofDixie : Could be a good pick if you don’t mind something dark (ie., realistic, no resolution in a neat 42 mn segment, you have to pay attention.) If you like SVU: it’s a better “SVU”. Very realistic but also useful in understanding the impact of trauma, what family can do if one of their own is traumatized, or what consent is.

One of the most enduring (or haunting) shows I’ve seen in the past few years is Unforgotten.

I am glued to “Yellowstone” The acting and casting are superb. Paramount is showing 2 episodes a night. The scenery is eye candy for me. Kevin Costner still looks great!

Yellowstone season 3 starts next week.

@eb23282 yes it does, I love it!

I liked Yellowstone too; we just got rid of cable and don’t have access to paramount anymore, so I envy you watching the next season. I loved the scenery!

OK: I have a thought about a series I just started. It’s How To Get Away With Murder. I am just not sure what to think of it; it’s sort of over the top. I liked it at first, but now I feel its slightly preposterous; basically based on no moral code whatsoever. yet I keep watching it! anyone else watching it?

I’m rewatching Downton Abbey with my husband, who has never seen it. He loved it after the first episode, which sort of surprised me. His favorite is Carson and Lady Mary, he thinks their acting is supurb. He’s impressed with the different accents used by class.

There are so many things I don’t remember and am really enjoying it after 10 years since it’s debut.