Binge watched tv shows

I got an email that The Politician, season 2 is now out for those that watched season 1.

@abasket, thanks for telling us!

We’ve been watching The Rookie with Nathan Fillion. It’s got a nice ensemble cast, no on camera sex, I don’t think any bad language (though I might not notice. It usually starts with a sweet little comedic scene before the credits and then a more serious story. It follows three Rookies (with Fillion’s character being 20 years older than the other two) and their training officers. I’ve gotten very fond of the characters and, in fact, think some of them are more interesting than Fillion’s.

We also watch Bosch which is grittier, but again I don’t think there’s ever been any on camera sex.

DH and I have enjoyed Upload on Amazon Prime. We should finish its first season tonight. It’s a quirky take on the afterlife.

I just finished the Netflix documentary series, Lennox Hill, which was recommended by my D. I enjoyed it and found it to be very similar to Hopkins, Boston Med & New York Med series from years back. Evidently, the producers were able to get into the hospital to do a bonus episode on the COVID19 crisis that will premiere on Wednesday. I imagine that will be insightful.

I’ve been watching Maine Cabin Masters. The ultimate order out of chaos show with the possible exception of all the Mike Holmes shows. What I really need these days is someone to fix it.

I watched Lenox Hill but was a little dismayed by the difference in the portrayal of the male hero surgeons and the female docs, one of whom had more social work cases in the ER and was pregnant, and the other in OB-GYN who was also pregnant. Much time devoted to neurosurgery done by the males and to the labor and delivery of the female docs (neither of whom had natural childbirth, a side issue). The entire neurosurgery department at Lenox Hill appears to be men.

I finished season 2 of The Politician tonight. I’m still enjoying the series, but Ben Platt sang a beautiful song near the end, which sent me down a rabbit hole.

I vaguely remember him in Pitch Perfect, but have not followed his career. (I don’t know anything about Dear Evan Hansen.)

So now I’ve spent the past two hours listening to his deluxe album and watching his YouTube videos. I think he’s my new favorite musical crush. He’s so ridiculously talented. I also found that he has a special on Netflix from May, live at Radio City Music Hall. Can’t wait to watch that tomorrow.

@psychmomma, if you haven’t already found it, search for the duet he did with Lin Manuel Miranda for March for Our Lives. It’s called Found/Tonight and it’s a mash up (right term?) of two songs - one from Dear Evan Hansen and one from Hamilton.

I am watching SEE on Apple plus. Such a guilty pleasure. My kids are totally judging me :slight_smile:

I loved BB, watched it since it came out many years ago. Now every time I see “Jesse Pinkman” in any show, I yelled “Yo b
tch” like I had tourette syndrome lol.

@2VU0609 - thanks! That was so beautiful!

Raising hand for the Ben Platt fan club! I WISH so badly to have been able to see him in Evan Hansen.

^ I read that Universal Pictures and his dad bought the film rights so maybe we will get a chance to see him in that role after all.

I just finished watching the first episode of Lenox Hill. This was where all three of my grandchildren were born and my daughter-in-law was an attending physician.
Regarding the mention that neurosurgery appeared to be full of men, selecting a specialty is a choice
the road to neurosurgery is very demanding mentally and physically
being on call every 2 to 3 nights depending on seniority, standing up in surgery 10-12 hours a day
 not many want this lifestyle, especially when you have a family. Many doctors (males and females) need a partner who can make time to be home caring for family and this type of partnership is not easy to find.
My H is a physician and I understand the lifestyle and if I were a physician who wanted a more balance work-family hours, I would choose the specialty accordingly.

I just finished watching I Know This Much Is True on HBO. I had never read the book so wasn’t familiar with the story. I was blown away by how good Mark Ruffalo was in the two roles he played. Actually, the entire cast was amazing. Ruffalo deserves an Emmy for this.

I also watched Defending Jacob. I had read this book so there weren’t any surprises in the plot, but it was pretty good, too - not as good as Ruffalo’s series but just right for quarantine video.

Loved Chocolate – a Korean 16 episode series. It plays on Netflix. The first few episodes are a bit slow but in the end it is a show I will never forget. The music is beautiful. The ending is incredibly touching.

We just started The Americans – looks promising.

I haven’t watched Lenox Hill but one of the doctors featured lives across the street from me LOL.

The Americans is amazing. I am stretching it out, watching 6 or 7 episodes a week. I’m up to Season 2, episode 3. Especially useful after a long day doing zoom or phone therapy sessions at home. Definitely breaks the spell of that kind of work.

@cbreeze my post was mainly about the choice to portray heroic neurosurgeons and their surgeries, but focus more on the labor and delivery of the two female docs. I mean, they couldn’t find a female doc to follow who wasn’t pregnant?