Binge watched tv shows

We just started “Ted Lasso” and I have to say I am enjoying it more than I thought I would. It;s a comedy with a little heart . . .and there are enough throwaway quick funny lines to keep me laughing.

Not watching the Crown this time. I would watch a documentary, or fiction, but this just seems kind of blurred, and people involved are still around.

The Queens Gambit and Ted Lasso - have my vote for best of the year.

Our S played chess for years so the characters resonated with us as well as the tournament play. I took him to play at the Las Vegas International Chess tournament for many years - he loved it and I found it fascinating.

Ted Lasso is what we have needed for a long time! Big in heart and with unbridled optimism (also just plain funny).

1 Like

Thank you to all that recommended Call My Agent - enjoying it and it also makes me quit multi-tasking and forces me to pay attention to just one thing with the subtitles!

Appears we will need to get the free 1 week trial of Apple +, so we can binge Ted Lasso. Watched the preview and it looks fun and also a bonus for my soccer/football loving husband.

I find that I am reading the college treads less, as we in the thick of it and enjoying the escape of good tv/movies more and more - so this tread is very appreciated.

I really liked Queen’s Gambit, but also found it suspenseful. I didn’t care if she won the chess matches but just kept thinking someone would hurt her or she’d have a breakdown.

1 Like

I’ve been watching the documentary by Leah Remini about Scientology and my niece recommended the one about the cult that took over a town in Oregon. I lived in Oregon when that one was happening and she lived in the area years later and never knew about it.

Wife & Daughter been watching Greys Anatomy. McDreamy coming back?

I’ve been watching Grey’s Anatomy (Netflix) for a year - I’m almost done with Season 8… they are long seasons, and many more to go. Teased to the kids that I know those characters now better than my real/distanced family.

I never saw any of it on the original run. I pull it up on my chromebook when hubby and I have watched some TV we both like and then he wants to switch to a choice that is not my cup of tea.

My DH gave up on Grey’s a few years ago so I watch it on the weekends or when I’m exercising inside. There were a couple of weak seasons along the way, but the last couple of years have been really good again.

1 Like

@twoinanddone , the Oregon cult one is bizarrely riveting.

I lived in Portland when it was happening. It was very scary then. One of my friends was clerking in a Portland firm that represented them and would tell us stories, but when you look back and see they were poisoning people? Scary.

I found I really loved “The Queens Gambit”. I read the book after watching the series. It stays very close to the book and where changes occurred I liked the series better. One of the things I liked about the series was that there really wasn’t a villain. There were opponents, adversaries, challenges etc. but no one was out to get her, there was no politics (it alluded to the tensions of the time but that never became even a minor plot point) and her biggest adversary was her addiction. No one was attempting to prevent her from becoming who she could be. The actress should win best actress in whatever awards there are for such a series. She was amazing. The costumes were astounding and if one is in to such things the chess was fascinating. My favorite series bar none.

3 Likes

Lately, I’ve not been in the mood for serious tv shows and have been sticking to funny. My son-in-law recommended My Name is Earl (it’s available on Hulu). I just finished season one and thought it was excellent. The premise is a bit unrealistic, but the actors pull it off. It’s four seasons and there are lots of episodes in each season, which are very short.

2 Likes

My Name is Earl is one of our all-time favorites, one of the funniest shows ever.

2 Likes

@lvvcsf Agree about the lead actress in Queen’s Gambit. She was riveting. I enjoyed the acting in general. Perfectly cast.

2 Likes

I highly recommend the show Counterpart on Amazon Prime. It stars J.K. Simmons and originally ran for two seasons on Starz (20 episodes). It’s a sci-fi/spy thriller set in Berlin, and is riveting. DH and I are only four episodes in and are totally hooked.

1 Like

We are also enjoying Counterpart, maybe 8? episodes in. But… just as we were getting the hang of things, more twists and confusion. The lead actor (playing 2 parts) does a great job.

If you’re looking for a quick series (8 less than 30 min episodes) that:

1. reminds you of the old Disney channel movies your kids watched and loved.
    2.reminds you of a Hallmark movie (which I never watch)
    3.is Christmas filled…

Watch Dash and Lily. After the YA book of the same name. Cheesy and all but easy breezy and the young actors are endearing. Directed by Fred Savage. Nick Jonas (and the bros) appear in the show but also Nick executive produced?? So watch with your daughters. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

H and I have been enjoying the Crown. We just finished season 4, which was good, but very intense. God, the royal family sure has had their share of issues…makes you realize that being royal isn’t always a fairytale. The latest season doesn’t put the royals in a very positive light.
We also just started Deutschland 83 (Hulu) on D’s recommendation. It’s a cold war era story about an East German spy who joins the West German army. It’s really good! It is in German so you need subtitles, but I don’t care. Can’t wait to watch the next season!

1 Like

We are watching Dash and Lily tonight (Netflix). It’s really a sweet series. Light and fun, perfect for a lazy evening.

2 Likes