Binge watched tv shows

@eb23282, yes stick with it. About a year ago I watched 7 episodes and it just didn’t seem my cup of tea. I picked up where I left off 6 months later and ended up binging and really enjoying it. I did read some article about it saying it had a slow start the first season with corn ball comedy with Rolan, but changed it subsequent seasons to not rely on that and work on the relationship aspect that carried this show to awards. I tend to agree. Keep at it!

2 Likes

Pretend It’s a City by Martin Scorsese on Netflix. A 7 part series featuring Fran Lebowitz . I watched the first two episodes last night. Just released .

1 Like

With my kids scattered all over the country, one of them quite isolated, I wonder if part of the appeal of Schitt’s Creek right now is the togetherness of a family living in two rooms in a motel, where adult kids are protected from adult pressures and are safe!

4 Likes

We’ve been watching a lot more TV during the Pandemic.

We loved

Agent Carter
Queen’s Gambit
His Dark Materials
Mandalorian
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Designated Survivor (watched years ago)
Madame Secretary (watched years ago)

We liked

Virgin River (but like many shows the plots become more contrived over time and we stop watching)
Burn Notice (just pure escapism but fun)

Watched before this year

Shows we dropped quickly
The Expanse
Fleabag
A Very English Scandal

3 Likes

The second series of “Upstairs, Downstairs” is streaming now. The two seasons take a new family through the years leading up to WWII. It stars Keely Hawes and Claire Foy. I really enjoyed it.

It is very true that Schitt’s comedy stopped being so silly and crass and became much more sophisticated and relationship based. This was because Eugene Levy who reveled in the silly and crass comedy he became famous for, turned over by the end of season one the full creative reigns to his son Dan. Dan Levy is a creative genius with a warm sharp sense of humor. He also was the one who determined that Eugene Levy should play against his usual nerdy type and instead play the man Dan knew from his childhood a hard working successful handsome caring guy who dressed impeccably.

10 Likes

@maya54, thank you for that explanation. I love it.

1 Like

Okay, I did not know that “Johnny” and “David” created the show, nor did I know they were father and son. This adds a whole new dimension. And the switch from Eugene to Dan is interesting too.

2 Likes

AND the actress who plays Twyla the waitress is also a Levy, Eugene’s daughter.

4 Likes

My daughter just informed me of that…it makes it a family ensemble that kind of mirrors the togetherness of the show!

2 Likes

Originally Chris Elliott’s daughter Abby was going to play Alexis! But she got a different job and the marvelous Annie Murphy got the role. I find some of the profiles of Chris Elliott pretty interesting. Unlike many of the comedians who play crazy off the wall characters who are often less than stable in real life ( see e.g Andy Dick who often competed with Elliott for roles) Chris Eliot is apparently a very low key stable guy with a 35 year marriage.

1 Like

Some wonderful moments at the virtual Emmys this year with the Schitts cast - if you didn’t see it, look it up. A whole lot of affection there.

Also be sure if you finish the series to watch the one episode documentary on the show. Really wraps it up

2 Likes

During the pandemic we have binged (either watching for the first time or rewatching) Broadchurch, House, Revolution, Zoo, Happy, Good Omens, My Brilliant Friend, Lovecraft Country, and 8 seasons of Doctor Who. My kids also rewatched all of Euphoria and Glee. If I don’t like a show I really don’t get past the first 2-3 episodes at most, so if I binged it I enjoyed it for one reason or another. Some were just stellar shows- My Brilliant Friend comes to mind, and others are mindless fun (looking at you, Zoo).

I’m going to start The Thick of It soon, and have been watching the short but funny Staged, too.

1 Like

We started watching Mad Men again. I forgot how much I love this show.

3 Likes

I started watching it again, too! I love seeing how different Peggy was at the beginning of the show.

Stick with it–it gets better and better.

Yes but beyond crazy dark which I simply need reprieve from at this point. Undoing sort of same but hello Nicole Kidman’s wardrobe and movie-like production quality ! If you like the genre have you seen “Truth Be Told” ? Yes super dark BUT I watched it on the heels of listening to the Serial podcast w similar storyline … and it was very well cast and had a tidy ending. Maybe 8 episodes or so.

Stick with it. We all love Schitt’s Creek. We just watched it again, and I liked it even more this time through, especially the earlier episodes, probably because I already know the characters. I love Daniel Levy (Eugene, too) and when you finish the show, there is an after-show episode where the cast members talk about their experience with the series and how that last day of filming felt.

1 Like

My son (high school age at the time) and I watched all of The Vampire Diaries, then The Originals, then recently, Legacies. Should I be embarrassed it only took me a few episodes to know I needed to see Damon on a regular basis? LOL

3 Likes

I just finished the 6 episodes from this season’s Grey’s. The way they deal with the pandemic was interesting to watch, but there were a whole bunch of new characters that I just did not understand. I don’t think it’s worth going back to catch up, but I guess I need to see how they resolve the cliffhanger.

1 Like