Binge watched tv shows

is behind her eyes worth watching? i started it . . .but felt anxty and didnt finish the first episode. Should i continue?

@Marilyn I recommend The White Queen and The White Princess which I thought were Netflix but they are streaming on Starz.
Netflix Derry Girls stars Bridgerton Nicola Coughlan who played Penelope Featherington. Half hour episodes, Northern Ireland in the 90s, they are in high school but itā€™s a family comedy. Iā€™m also Irish and went to Catholic grammar school, some scenes brought back memories. The cast and writing make the show.
Poldark was very good but that is on Amazon.

2 Likes

This type of show is my genre so I may be biased. I love Gone Girl, Girl on the Train, A Perfect Murder type surprise, suspense, anything with a twist. I canā€™t wait for Amy Adams The Woman In The Window which got delayed. And Behind Her Eyes is only six episodes. I find myself looking up songs from the show too.

@3sonsmom if you liked White Princess and White Queen, then I hope you also watched the 2 seasons of The Spanish Princess also on Starz. Also based on Phillipa Gregory novels, continues the story of the Tudors with the story of Catherine of Aragon. Am hoping Starz continues the series with the other wives of Henry VIII.

We donā€™t pay for Starz, but a couple of times a year Comcast will have free Starz on demand for a week or 2, trying to lure subscribers. Thatā€™s when we binge watch and get caught up on Outlander and the Phillipa Gregory series. Looking forward to binging Men in Kilts at some point. Kids gave me Clansman, the book Men in Kilts is based on, and it looks hilarious.

1 Like

Iā€™ve read all of the Phillipa Gregory books and watched them on Starz; also saw Poldark on Prime. I just finished binging Emily in Paris on Netflix. Didnā€™t care for the main character or some of the plot lines, but the visuals and music were gorgeous. Much more fun than watching Olivia Colemanā€™s deadpan face for extended periods on The Crown :wink:.

I keep hoping Shogun with Richard Chamberlain will show up on on of the streaming services. At the moment itā€™s only available for purchase as a DVD.

1 Like

I didnā€™t watch The Spanish Princess yet but it is on my list. I watched both Queen and Princess shows for the lead actresses (The Greatest Showman, Rebecca and Killing Eve, Jodie). I am up to date with Outlander and look forward to Men in Kilts too. Sam and Graham look like fun together, Iā€™ve never been to Scotland so it will be like a tour of the country.

My DH doesnā€™t watch these so he was going to cancel Starz last year but we got a $5.99 or thereabouts offer. It was right before Outlander Season 5 so I had to keep it!

@2VU0609 , I canā€™t find it on demand. I went to TV > networks > CNN Specials. Is it somewhere else?

Iā€™ve been watching I Hate Suzie, and I think itā€™s great. Billie Piper plays such a three dimensional person who I actually just cannot hate, even when sheā€™s awful.

@conmama, I have Xfinity and I just use the ā€œtalkie buttonā€ to access episodes that way. Maybe not available on your service provider? If not, it re-airs on Saturday night.

Awhile back I got a subscription to Acorn primarily to watch all 8 seasons of Doc Martin. Since then Iā€™ve found 2 other series that have caught my fancy. First was "The Good Karma Hospitalā€™. It made me want to learn more about India. I believe they intend to do another season but like many programs have been put on hold by Covid. Second and most recent is ā€œA Place to Call Homeā€. The series ended in 2018 but itā€™s an Australian series with a hint of Downton Abbey, Doc Martin and maybe Outlander if you really want to stretch it. The main character is a nurse and a key Outlander actor is a main supporting character in this.

2 Likes

We recently watched The Sinner and really enjoyed it, too. Iā€™ve always liked Bill Pullman and was glad to see him in this series.

1 Like

I have Xfinity. I guess I need to keep searching.

We are currently bingeing Grantchester. I did not like the first episode or two, but it grew on me - and James Norton, who is very easy on the eyes, gives me something to look forward to after dinner!

2 Likes

Iā€™ll second (or maybe itā€™s third) your recommendation for The Sinner.

I didnā€™t realize there is more than one season and somehow ended up watching season 3 first. I just finished season 1 and while the actual murders are stand alone stories, getting the lead characterā€™s backstory really helped me understand the later season better. Iā€™m looking forward to starting season 2.

4 Likes

I think you will have a very different impression of him if you watch Happy Valley.

The wife and I recently watched ā€œThe Fallā€ which ran for three seasons between 2013 and 2016. It stars Gillian Anderson as a police detective in Belfast trying to catch a serial killer played by Jamie Dornan. The acting is excellent and we enjoyed the first season. Unfortunately, we both felt the show went off the rails after that. Three or four episodes into the second season, we decided to skip to the final episode just to see how it all ended.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting! Now you have me curious; I will definitely have to add Happy Valley to my BritFest list!

I enjoyed the first season of ā€˜The Fallā€™, the subsequent seasons, not so much! I either like Gillian Anderson, or I donā€™tā€¦thereā€™s no halfway!

Thanks for the Happy Valley tip. I am definitely going to watch; I hope Nortonā€™s character does not crush me too much :slight_smile:

1 Like

We have one more episode of season 1 of ā€œThe Sinnerā€ to watch. The show is pretty disturbing to me. Butā€¦like a lot of such shows, itā€™s good.

Happy Valley is excellent. The acting is great all around, especially Sarah Lancashire in the lead role. But be warned, it depicts violence in a realistic manner that can be disturbing at times - especially the first season. Itā€™s funny, we started watching ā€œThe Fallā€ right after finishing ā€œThe Crown,ā€ and Gillian Anderson used the exact same voice in The Fall as she did playing Margaret Thatcher in The Crown.

4 Likes

What Iā€™m getting frustrated with is starting shows that probably wonā€™t continue but ended filming abruptly so there is no ending to the stories. I watched Indian Matchmaking and there were quite a few of the stories where there was really no ending. Right now Iā€™m watching Imposters and it appears the same thing will happen.

Searching to see if there will be a Season 2 or 3, usually I find that there probably wonā€™t be since, with Indian Matchmaking, the international filming will probably be too hard to do and with Imposters the cast and crew have moved on to other projects.

Iā€™m a huge fan of political series and House of Cards and Homeland are perennial favorites. I finished The Americans a few months ago and now Iā€™m making my way through The Man in the High Castle. Currently in season 3 and the series has jumped the shark, but the acting is good and the story is compelling so Iā€™ll stick with it.

2 Likes