Binge watched tv shows

Love Friday Night Lights. Someday will rewatch the whole thing.

Kyle Chandler’s series on Netflix - Bloodline - is great also. Not at all like FNL though! From the people behind Glenn Close’s show Damages - another Netflix binger that reeled me in from the first episode. Both excellent shows - nonlinear, some mystery. Damages is 5 seasons and I believe Bloodline is coming back for at least a second.

+1 to Bloodline. Looking forward to season 2 but won’t come out until summer.

Binge watched Olive Kettridge on a recent 7 hour flight. Very well done. I had read and loved the book as well.

I’m currently bingeing on Nurse Jackie, and finding it hard to like her!

I think you can like “Nurse Jackie” without liking Nurse Jackie. If you know what I mean.

Much to hate and much to like. It will be revealed!

We’re enjoying Mozart in the Jungle. Thanks for the recommendation!

@alwaysamom – there’s actually a “walking dead” thread on cc. It’s pretty quiet right now but it should pick up in two weeks when the series returns to AMC.

@scout59 Thank you. I’ll have a look for it! I have never gone through a series so quickly! Enjoyed it very much and will see if I can catch up on the Season 6 episodes already shown prior to the return.

@alwaysamom - I binged on The Walking Dead last fall just in time to see the first half of the current season, so no, you aren’t the only one who found it addictive! The funny thing is that DS had wanted me to watch it with him early last year and I only made it through the pilot before declaring it much too intense and gory for me. Obviously, things changed over the summer :wink:

Also, you may be interested in seeing the entire cast of TWD interviewed by James Lipton on Inside the Actors Studio on Bravo, February 11. I’m really looking forward to it.

“The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story” just started. Very interesting so far.

Just watched the third episode of “Billions.” I keep telling myself to hang in there, but it seems more suited to STARZ than Showtime. What a terrible waste of the talents of Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis so far.

There are some funny scenes. The mom freaking out about her son’s rescinded admission to Stanford is hysterical (“He’s a double-legacy with perfect SAT scores … and he plays the violin!”), but I feel like the show needs to figure out what it wants to be and get some better writers, STAT. It’s not very good as either a black comedy or a serious drama IMHO.

^ The false note that bugs me is Chuck’s wife, in the office and at home. What I like in the rest is the slow burn. It’s a different watching experience, not the usual linear, less is delivered to us. I know it’s a light view of Axe’s and Chuck’s world, but am intrigued. I still need to catch episode 3.

^^^ It’s not the non-linear element that bothers me (heck, I love “Better Call Saul,” and I never even saw “Breaking Bad,” so I’m no doubt missing many, many references); it’s that the writing is just terrible. It’s a shame, because on paper I should love the show. Hoping they get it together in the next few episodes.

I’ll be curious what you think of this week’s episode, @lookingforward.

Speaking on non-linear, is anybody watching this season of “American Crime” (not to be confused with FX’s “American Crime Story”) on ABC? I thought the first season was pretty terrific, especially for a network drama, but this season is just as good, and is particularly fitting for people with kids of high school age (and longtime CC’ers might find a lot of its themes particularly of interest). It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty darn good!

http://nyti.ms/1mDwM9F
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/01/american-crime-season-two-review/422913/

Thank you for the suggestion of Mozart in the Jungle. I binged watched both seasons last week while H was away on a business trip and really enjoyed it.

We – especially my wife – fell down the rabbit hole of The Newsroom last weekend, and watched the first season over 4-5 days. (That’s super-quick for her. She doesn’t like watching TV for long stretches.) It’s been awhile since I watched an Aaron Sorkin show, and its fun to see all of his favorite themes and tricks again. It’s hard not to love Will and Mackenzie, the show’s central characters (Jeff Daniels and the very fetching Emily Mortimer). The show gets maudlin and mawkish sometimes. I doubt anyone I know remembers where he or she was when the announcement came that Osama Bin Laden had been killed, or regards that as the latter-day equivalent of V-J Day. I don’t believe the era Sorkin’s characters constantly whine about returning to ever existed. And the romantic comedy aspect of the show strains credulity and often breaks it. The men – from the 20-somethings to the 60-somethings – all strain to achieve the emotional maturity of an 18-year-old. But on the micro level the writing is great, with tons of wonderful moments, the acting is good, and the journalistic fantasy is appealing.

I suppose it’s a feature of all us boomers approaching (and passing) retirement age, but I do appreciate the current raft of shows in which women well over 40 are allowed to be sexy and not necessarily angelic, while still being smart, tough, and caring, etc. The Good Wife (that sort of kicked off the trend, although I am tired of this version), Madame Secretary, Empire, Nashville (sort of), maybe How To Get Away With Murder (which I have never seen), and also Bernadette Peters and Saffron Burrows in Mozart In The Jungle and Mortimer in Newsroom. (Jane Fonda, too, but without much screen time or character development.)

I was going to claim credit for introducing Mozart In The Jungle to this thread, but a search shows that @2VU0609 did it over a year ago.

Thanks for the acknowledgement, @JHS! When I originally mentioned MITJ, no one else seemed tempted, but now that Season 2 is out and they won 2 Golden Globes, it has picked up interest. For that, I’m glad, because I hope it means there will be a Season 3!

BTW, for those who have watched it, I saw Dermot Mulroney on The Today Show recently and he mentioned that he actually does play the cello (and evidently pretty well, to hear him tell it). So, not everyone is completely faking their musical ability on the show:)

Love Newsroom.

We really enjoyed Newsroom, too. So happy to read of some new additions to the CC FNL fan club! Whoever mentioned Grantchester, you had me at doppelgänger (ZachGilford). Just put it on hold at the library. Oh- I’m also a huge Walking Dead fan, but I think S and I are a season behind. For some reason it’s taking forever to get from the library. It took me two episodes to get past the gore and be all in. And that reminds me of our other favorite - Dexter. Love that show.

@LucieTheLakie I am! Terrific cast - Timothy Hutton, Lili Taylor, Regina King, Felicity Huffman, Hope Davis and, of course, all the kids in the show. Wonderful acting by all.