Binge watched tv shows

@amsunshine - yes! David Tennant’s Hamlet was the best I’ve ever seen. Spectacular.

1 Like

This show was mentioned before in the thread but if you are a David Tennant fan, try Good Omens on Amazon Prime. He was great in that too!

4 Likes

David Tennant was marvelous in Jessica Jones which is probably my favorite of all the Marvel TV series.

2 Likes

Shtisel’s Season 3 is back on Netflix! Excited about watching that. I enjoyed Lupin and several Spanish series including Velvet, Cable Girls, and Gran Hotel. I also liked Emily in Paris.

1 Like

What accent is he using in that? I love him in Broadchurch and Doctor Who and Staged, but I just cannot stand his American accent at all.

Season 3 of Shtisel is out on Netflix, picking up about 5 years after season 2. I’m about 4 episodes into it, and so far, it’s quite good.

I honestly feel that Shtisel is possibly the best drama ever made for TV. Forgive me if I said it already, but it has that feel that the Sopranos did - the juxtaposition of the pathos of the human condition, against the setting of North Jersey Italian Mafia. Occasionally, the Sopranos hit it out of the park. Shtisel does the same thing, but within the setting of ultraOrthodox in Jerusalem, no sex or violence, and it hits it out of the park every single episode.

1 Like

It’s British. I just listened on youtube him reading an audiobook where he’s switching between British and American. It’s very weird how deep his voice goes for the American accents. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B834-0f4rdY But I feel like the accent isn’t quite right - the a in “hat” is off.

1 Like

Is anyone watching Queen Sugar? IMO, this season especially is among the top series ever. The most recent episode (titled May 27, 2020) is simply stunning. Both the writing and the acting…just remarkable. I would say every single American should watch it, but the impact would not be the same without the character development from the previous seasons.

I am also watching Halt and Catch Fire, finally. It was mentioned in this thread years ago, and has been on my list since then. I don’t know what I waited for. Love all the 80s history, sets, clothes, etc, and the writers do a fabulous job of making the even the geekiest dialogue interesting.

2 Likes

@scubasue I watched Halt and Catch Fire 2 years ago and it is firmly in my top 10 drama list. I loved the 5 main characters/actors and even when a little lost on the tech stories, I still felt invested. Where was the Emmy love for these actors and writers?!

3 Likes

Would people please tell how they are watching their recommendations? Prime, Netflix, etc? It would be really helpful there are so many out there now. I’m as guilty as everyone in forgetting to do that!

7 Likes

I keep meaning to try this but someone told me that if you use a Roku (or have Roku tv) you can do a search on the main page (not an app page) and it will bring up the show and then tell you what app it is on. I guess if you aren’t using a platform like that you won’t have that option.

1 Like

You can do that from the home page of the Amazon Fire Stick, also. I speak the name of the show and get options for watching it.

4 Likes

I think that is the reason some people don’t know which app they used. We have to drill down separately into Netflix and Amazon Prime… and even then I don’t always remember which we used. Still I do try to include that detail if I recommend a show here.

3 Likes

To all who convinced me to watch Friday Night Lights… Watched the first season and enjoyed it. Tons of plot holes but kept my interest enough to stick with all 22 episodes. We’re on season 2 and it’s pretty bad. Does it get better?

As for identifying where to watch a specific show, Google knows all - it’s not that complicated :slight_smile:

If someone mentions a show here that I’m unfamiliar with, I just google it to find out which streaming service it’s on.

1 Like

Thanks @MaineLonghorn I wasn’t sure about the Firestick so didn’t want to provide false info!! :slight_smile:

What don’t you like about it? We can tell you if you’ll get more or less of that.

1 Like

Of course people can Google, but also if they are already posting about it with name and content it’s a nice courtesy to also post the streaming source.

3 Likes

FNL had that implausible plot twist in the second season, right? They ended that fairly quickly and never got that outlandish again. I liked it all after that.

Thanks so much for the Shtisel recommendation. I am completely hooked! The novelty of the setting along with the complex characterizations is a home run. On Netflix.

We also use the Amazon Firestick. You can use voice or keys to search across all of your apps. We have YouTube TV as our main (just cut the cable) TV source and subscribe to Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu (1.99/ month deal).