Binge watched tv shows

We watched 2 episodes, not a great show so we stopped. And I loved Mean Girls, SNL, 30 Rock Tina work.

1 Like

I just finished The Sopranos. Wow! I stretched it out averaging an episode/day. So now that I am paying for HBO, I guess I will go to Mare of Easttown.

5 Likes

I just binged through the first season of Broadchurch–very good, though rather depressing. I can’t imagine how they can have more seasons but I guess there are. The cinematography was gorgeous, great acting, solid writing. Have to think about whether I want to go through another season, though. Hard to see how the characters will/can move on.

Also I was in that area many years ago while on a summer college semester in UK/Ireland. I wasn’t exactly where this was filmed, but nearby for a day or so at a stunning rock formation archway called the Durdle Door, which I tried to climb out on to the end (you are not supposed to do that) and lucky I didn’t fall off!

2 Likes

Broadchurch season 1 they catch the guy. Season 2, he goes on trial. Season 3, totally different crime.

2 Likes

I thought the same thing after Season 1. Took a chance on Season 2 and was glad I did
very much worth it. Now beginning Season 3.

2 Likes

Thanks, @MADad and @pishicaca I will give Season Two a try!

We loved Broadchurch season 1. We liked season 2 ok, except H hated the ending so much, he doesn’t want to watch season 3. I think we will eventually. I hope.

hmmm. Sort of wish I hadn’t read that.

I thought it was an ok ending, but H can have strong opinions.

1 Like

Just started Kim’s Convenience (Netflix) based on a NYT article. Hilarious and as an immigrant myself, rings a lot of truth.

3 Likes

@BKsquared, we watched a season or so of Kim’s Convenience at the suggestion of our kids. Very funny at the beginning but, like many sitcoms, wears thin over time as the plots have to be more and more contrived.

We just started watching an Australian series called “A Place to Call Home.” It’s on Acorn (which we paid for through Amazon Prime). The first three episodes are a) terrific writing; and b) excellent acting. Really a cut above most of our TV fare (though I can think of a few others that are excellent also). It’s about a nurse who returns to Australia after 20 years. The plot unfolds, it turns out she married a Jewish man and converted and was living in Paris when the Nazis came and her husband is lost and assumed dead and she suffered greatly. Her mother won’t talk to her unless she returns to Christianity (Catholicism I think). Very good on social structure in post-war Australia.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion!

@shawbridge, I watched A Place to Call Home a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

Last season of Kim’s Convenience, season 5, just showed up on Netflix. Everyone involved wanted a final 6th season to close out all loose ends, except for the creator/show runner, so it’s not going to happen. Cast was crushed.

Just finished Queer Eye including the Japanese ones. We just loved it. It really is amazing how they are able to hone in on the problems and help. Watched the Master Class by Tan France and it made more sense how he did the fashion part.

Also, in reference to Broadchurch, anyone else notice that one of the leads is Alec Hardy and the show is set in Dorset which is Thomas Hardy country, plus a character says he was reading Jude the Obscure? No wonder it feels as brooding as it does.

A show that was even more brooding was Hinterland, which was filmed in Wales. Every episode was filmed twice, once in English and once in Welsh. Very stark landscape and very dark mood to the crime show.

1 Like

Finished Halston. It was good, not great. Although I think Ewan Mac Gregor did an excellent job portraying Halston. I found myself doing searches on Halston as I watched the series. Looking forward to the new Lupin episodes coming soon!

2 Likes

I’ve been watching Everybody Loves Raymond, super funny show. I’m not necessarily binge watching this, but it’s always on TV. Also there’s no continuous plot so I watch it in any order and the episodes still make sense, a huge plus. Another great sitcom is Community (on netflix), but it usually has a plot for each season.

We finished it and I was tearing up the last few episodes. Idk why tv shows get to me and I feel like I’m losing my friends when a series ends. In this case, it was the characters as well as the topic of the show.

1 Like