Binge watched tv shows

I really like the Strike series. The last one (Lethal White, I think) was also a fascinating look into British aristocracy and Parliament.

1 Like

I read and enjoyed the books but could never picture what Comoran was supposed to look like. And then when I saw the series I found myself thinking Oh THATS what he looks like! Great great casting.

2 Likes

We agree the casting is good - we were skeptical before watching. Robin is spot on and I know in the books Strike is a bit more imposing, but we are letting that go :slight_smile: Also realized my daughter has a much better memory from reading the books, as at times I donā€™t remember the storylines and it all seems new !!!

1 Like

Like many others, just finished Lupin. Canā€™t wait for 3rd series.

We end every evening with an episode of Still Standing, with Johnny Harris (from Murdoch Mysteries). Leaves us with a good feeling. He visits struggling Canadian small towns for a week then does a stand up routine based on what heā€™s learned. Very gentle humor, and he has an amazing ability to get what makes the town tick and survive. Free on Tubi.

Almost done with Sunderland Til I Die. Nice companion to watching Euro 2020 tournament.

On another board, someone mentioned a 4 part series that followed the Leeds soccer teamā€”anyone know its title, and/or who is streaming it?

1 Like

A Place to Call Home is rather addicting. I got Acorn to watch all of the Doc Martin episodes and stumbled upon it. I loved it. Another series I enjoyed on Acorn was ā€œGood Karma Hospitalā€.

Just finished binging on Sweet Tooth on Netflix. Very good, if a bit weird. Only disappointment is in having to wait for season 2 to continue the storyline.

For those who watch, I see that ā€œAtypicalā€ is back with a new season July 9.

4 Likes

Watching the 4 part series on Netflix about the hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper. Like watching a British police procedural, except the story is true and the cops are somewhat incompetent. Apparently that whole affair changed how the Brits approach major investigations. One episode to go.

3 Likes

Watching the Unforgotten online on PBS,

2 Likes

We are watching Atlantic Crossing (amazon primeā€¦you have to pay $10) and both H and I are really enjoying it. Only 8 episodes I think but interesting and very well done.

2 Likes

Agreeā€¦Atlantic Crossing enjoyableā€¦Think Norwegian version of The Crown.

In addition to Atypical, season 3 of Virgin River is supposed to start on July 9;
Never Have I ever on July 15 and Outer Banks on July 30.

1 Like

I loved Atlantic Crossing and watched it on PBS this spring. It might still be available for free.

Sunday nights were my ā€˜WWIIā€™ night. I watched Atlantic Crossing, World on Fire, and the one about what the grandparents did during the war (4-5 British actors looked into what their grandparents did during the war; it was pretty interesting).

1 Like

Unforgotten returns to PBS this Sunday (July 11). Later this summer I believe we also get Grantchester and Baptiste.

Between Baptiste, van der Valk, and Us, PBS seems to be going to the Amsterdam well for programming. OK with usā€“itā€™s fun to see locales we visited in fall of 2019 (last trip before the world changed).

3 Likes

Bosch fansā€”I just finished the final season of Bosch on Amazon. I was pleased to read that a new version of Bosch is coming (with just three actors from the current series). DO NOT read this article if you havenā€™t finished the Amazon seriesā€”there is a spoiler.

2 Likes

Glad to hear there will be a new version of Bosch.

We watch a lot of police/detective shows. Happy to know Unforgotten is coming back. What a show with great story line and performance.

Line of Duty is another excellent/must-see police detective show.

Waiting to find out when new Happy Valley will be here.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t noticed The Great Pottery Throw Down mentioned here yet. Recently discovered it on HBO Max and itā€™s like the Great British Baking Show - but making ceramics rather than grub. I think there are 4 seasons available and Iā€™ve really enjoyed learning vicariously about pottery making. Despite it being a competition the participants are (as on TGBBS) kind and supportive towards one another. My other current TV binge is on Brit Box and called New Tricks. Itā€™s about an unsolved crime unit staffed by police force retirees who investigate old cases with remarkable success. Itā€™s a pretty light weight police drama with good acting and a fair bit of humor, not too much anxiety and tension which is about what Iā€™m up for at the moment.

1 Like

I donā€™t know if anyone else is watching the Parisian Agency on Netflix. H and I started it last week after finishing the first season of Lupin. It is a reality show about a French family selling high end real estate (French subtitles). Itā€™s like the Million Dollar Listing shows on Bravo. We are finding it entertaining so far.

1 Like

We liked Atlantic Crossing a lot. We are now watching The Durrells of Corfu. Such a quirky, fun show, based on a real British family that moved to a Greek island in the 1930s. Itā€™s wonderful.

2 Likes

We liked Atlantic Crossing a lot. We are now watching The Durrells of Corfu. Such a quirky, fun show, based on a real British family that moved to a Greek island in the 1930s. Itā€™s wonderful.>>>>>>>>
[/quote]

One of our all time favorites. I miss them.

1 Like

Shark Week!
Some Discovery channel streaming shows, Chopped, Tournament of Champions.

1 Like