Binge watched tv shows

I felt like Ginny and Georgia was “trying too hard”.

1 Like

I enjoyed Hinterland. (But I do find having the subtitles on a lot of the British, especially Welsh, shows is helpful!)

Proof I’ve spent too much time on CC:

I just finished Mare of Easttown (late, I know). When Mare says, “I never heard of Bates College”, I immediately thought of @Lindagaf :rofl:

2 Likes

Too funny that you mention this, because I watched that series recently and felt very important when she said that.

In an almost completely unrelated twist to this tale, I once loaned Kate Winslet my credit card (she didn’t have one, strangely) so that she could make a phone call to James Cameron…from an airplane. She promised to pay me back because she also had no cash. Lol.

Imagine her surprise when she saw me on the same flight about a month later. It’s fair to say she was a bit embarrassed. And she still had no cash. So I’d like to think she is paying me back just a bit by mentioning Bates in the show. Although, no doubt some script writer who graduated from Colby was just having a laugh.

Edit: If she really wanted to pay me back, she should have mentioned Bates in Titanic. “I’ll never let go Jack. I’ll never let go! One day our children will attend Bates!” :grinning:

15 Likes

I’m enjoying “Unforgotten” also.

I enjoyed the first 4 seasons of The Durrells, but I think the show than ran out of gas. Or maybe I got tired of seeing the animals and the peeling paint.

1 Like

For Unforgotten, we found the trick was to expect to be very confused the first episode of season… try to be alert about meeting the various new characters.

1 Like

EXACTLY— in the first episode of any season of Unforgotten, the seemingly random people we are introduced to will become the suspects, once we learn how the crime has linked them to each other and the crime.

1 Like

I watch ALL tv with the captions on. Just prefer it. I’m a fast reader and just like being able to read rather than listen.

4 Likes

For fans of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, final season of 10 episodes launch on NBC on August 12. A double episode per week for five weeks, but not consecutive weeks (don’t ask me why!).

3 Likes

Okay, I need a new show to watch with my husband, S22, and D25. We typically have 2 going at once. I need some suggestions so I’m not stuck watching Lost again. lol We are about to finish Prison Break and Good Omens. Shows we’ve watched together: Stranger Things, Friday Night Lights, Criminal Minds, Atypical, Locke and Key, Killing Eve, All American. I was wondering about Lupin or The Tunnel. They keep rejecting my suggestions of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The West Wing. :roll_eyes:

Didn’t binge enough Hinterland to see it all before it left Netflix, partly because our new favorite is “Silk” – British barristers, lots of intrigue behind the scenes and interesting characters.

When we were growing up, pre-cable, my siblings and I used to pull the channel knob off the TV and hide it so nobody could change the channel while we were watching. We had four channels - the three major networks and the local university channel that only showed boring, educational programs.

2 Likes

A vote for Lupin. He’s a master thief avenging his father’s imprisonment and death. And a very likeable character. Part 1 has 5 episodes, as does Part 2. Some of his capers suspend belief, but fun to watch. We watched with English dubbing and subtitles. Dubbing sounds like it was done by American actors.

6 Likes

Another vote for Lupin. I’m currently watching, although I am only up to the third episode.

My one criticism has nothing to do with the show itself. I’m watching in French (since I always prefer original dialogue anyway). I don’t know how the English dubs are, but the English subtitles are so badly translated, I had to switch to French captioning.

3 Likes

Ohhhhh let’s see.

How about Giri/Haji? Partly in Japanese partly in English. Thriller involving Japanese detective who goes to England to find his Yakuzu brother. Excellent characters. a bit of humor. Very tense serious violent otherwise.

The Tunnel was amazing. I’ve seen different versions of it but I think the French/British version is the best.

Buffy. Omg one of the best shows. Truly. My advice don’t ask them to plod thru season one. Consider having them watch the first episode and then skip to a “ gateway” episode. A friend hooked a very reluctant me that way. Halloween season 2.

1 Like

I always ike to watch shows with the captions on as it is so much easier for me to follow and hear everything. DH insisted on watching the English dubbed version of Lupin and it was so distracting how badly dubbed it was - the English words they chose were just awkward and horrible. And even worse, the captions did not at all match what the actors were saying - it was so distracting. I would have much preferred to listen to it in French with English subtitles - no matter how bad the subtitles were, it wouldn’t be as jarring to have what I was hearing not at all match what I was reading.

3 Likes

Lupin! Hub and I enjoyed - character, mystery, charm.

2 Likes

I watched the French with English subtitles. I’m sorry to hear that the translation was bad, but my French is not good enough to keep up even with FR. subtitles. I watched about two minutes of English dubbed, and switched because it sounded so fake.

1 Like

If you want to hear bad dubbing, there are a couple of Icelandic-produced series on Netflix that we’ve watched because we visited there a couple of years ago. They are The Valhalla Murders and Katla. English dubbed by Icelandic speakers is very stilted and clumsy!

End of the F&&&ing world, Sex education.