Binge watched tv shows

Agreed. I thought last week’s episode was great, but this week’s was even better. Lots of Easter Eggs for various movies in both.

Great article published today in Rolling Stone:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/ted-lasso-brett-goldstein-interview-1211189/amp/

6 Likes

They get better but I see why people who know her as undercover (in season 6, quite a few) wouldn’t trust her friendship entreaties. The point I suppose is that a half baked detective with integrity is better than a really smart one who takes the law into their own hands or of course than a competent one without integrity.
Season 2 was too bleak for me. Despite Lindsay’s sociopathic reactions (the scene at the neighbour’s with the oil drove home how good an actress Keeley Hawes -Durrells- is) what she went through was too much for me. And I really disliked Steve for what he didn’t do for her that he did for Danny, considering he had some responsibility toward her at least as much as toward Danny.
These 2 seasons really drove home the “nobody is perfect” pattern, it’s all on a continuum of crossing the line a little or irrevocably.
Season 3 was the best with season 6 so far but I am just starting season 4.

I have a couple more episodes of Season 2 of Line of Duty. Probably will stick with it but it does get complicated fast. I also started the first season of Brooklyn 99 and it tickles my funny bone even with the juvenile humor I generally don’t like. I refer to the former as “the confusing cops” and the latter as “the funny cops” when deciding what to watch.

1 Like

Finished Season 3 today. You have to watch if you’ve seen Season 2

2 Likes

Thanks, sounds promising!

OMG, I just learned that Mary Roscoe, who plays Julie Higgins on Ted Lasso, and Jeremy Swift are married in real life!!

I repeat…I love Ted Lasso!

Edited: because I excitedly told my husband and he said, “I know. I read it somewhere.” Seriously??? Am I the only one who didn’t know? Lol!

3 Likes

I just finished watching the six episodes of The Chair on Netflix. Loved it and hope there will be another season. Sandra Oh and Holland Taylor are treasures.

5 Likes

No. I just learned that earlier today as well

1 Like

I just finished the last episode of Mad Men. I’m not sure what to think!

Pieces I loved, parts I’m like “huh?” “Why?”!

I’m looking up reviews of the last episode now to see what other people had to say. Don’t want to post any spoilers here.

But will say, so very glad I made time for this show! Highly recommend.

2 Likes

@smdur1970
Piling on to say 1-2-3 form a triptych or trio, they could have ended the show after the last episode of series3. You definitely have to watch season 3.
If you’re finding season 2 tough, you’re not alone.

This show is all about the puzzles. There are forums deciphering the clues, making hypotheses…:upside_down_face::grin: You can read reviews by Denofgeek and/or The Guardian in order to be less confused.

Glad they didn’t; 4-5-6 form another triptych of sorts.
Am all ready for 7-8-9, which likely won’t conclude for 5 agonizing years. :rofl:

One more thing: the accents. I can’t always tell where they’re from but I can hear a lot of accent diversity, something that’s not all that common on TV.
One person’s Southern accent (meaning “close to London”/“standard”) is even an important plot point in series3. (The city is in Northern-ish England/the Midlands?)

The Chair was amusing and addressed some serious issues in academia in a way that wasn’t too heavy handed, mostly. But the ending disappointed me.

Holland Taylor’s scenes were the best! Student reviews have a lot of sway these days, but unlike those in one scene, they are online and permanent!

2 Likes

Birmingham, specifically. The Midlands, in which Birmingham lies, is in Central England.

Specifically, SE London accent, which is less posh than what one considers the “standard” London accent. Interestingly, the actor in question is from Scotland.

@abasket - i can’t believe i’ve been on this web site for so long. . . but i do remember posting in a long thread about about Mad Men during its ending. maybe read though it? the show ended in mid–may so there’d be lots of comments around then i think. I liked it.

Oh thanks I’ll definitely read it! It’s still on my mind this morning!

I didn’t enjoy the last season as much as prior ones, but loved the ending so glad I stayed with it.

2 Likes

I’m two thirds of the way through The Chair. Feels a lot like real life as I have lived it. However, one thing that is missing is the adjuncts! Even in smaller private schools, those tenured folk in the English Dept. are not teaching most of the first year comp courses.

6 Likes

We just finished DCI Banks (Amazon Prime, 5 short seasons, UK procedural - crime solving but human drama too). Ack… we loved the show and are gonna miss it!

2 Likes

Yes, puzzles…with a lot of missing pieces. Reminds me of Endeavor—he usually was the only one who knew the clues and their significance.
Thanks for the suggestions to read reviews; I’m not too proud to use all the help I can get.

Last night (we finished Season 2 and started 3), I mentioned the varying accents to my husband. I assumed they represent the full range of accent in the whole of Great Britain.

1 Like

“The Chair” is fantastic! We binge watched the entire season.

5 Likes

Just starting The Chair–enjoying it as well. Have no patience for Bill–he’s just not worth the effort Oh’s character is expending on his behalf. What he needs is a LONG leave of absence to either (a) get his bleep together or (b) find another line of work.