Binge watched tv shows

I believe you can get 4 months with Target Circle too.

Get Apple TV+ free when you buy a new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac.
Terms and conditions
ā€¢ Offer is available for a limited time only.
ā€¢ Eligible devices activated July 1, 2021 or later will qualify for offers of 3 months free Apple TV+, while those activated on June 30, 2021 or earlier will qualify for offers of 1 year free Apple TV+.
ā€¢ Offer cannot be combined with Apple One.
ā€¢ Only one offer per Family, regardless of number of devices purchased. You can share your Apple TV+ subscription with up to 5 other family members via Family Sharing.
ā€¢ The 3 months free Apple TV+ offer is not available if you or your Family have previously accepted the Apple TV+ one year free offer.
ā€¢ Make sure your device is running the latest iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, or macOS.
ā€¢ Offer must be claimed in the Apple TV app within 3 months after first setting up your new device. To see the offer appear, you will need to sign in with your Apple ID on your new device.
ā€¢ Upon claiming the offer, you agree to a $4.99/month subscription that starts immediately after the free offer period and automatically renews until cancelled. You can cancel at any time in Settings at least one day before each renewal date. If you cancel during your free offer period, you and your family members will immediately lose access to Apple TV+ and the remainder of your free trial. You canā€™t reactivate this trial.
Eligible devices
ā€¢ Any new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac capable of running the latest iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, or macOS, from Apple or an Apple authorized reseller.

You have to claim it via the Apple app on the phone/device. I activated mine via the phone; not sure there was ever an email.

2 Likes

@Colorado_mom, Call the Midwife premiered for the season this past Sunday. Just an FYI. It is one of my favorites and Iā€™m always happy to see it on my dvdā€™s list of scheduled recordings!

5 Likes

Also enjoying the PNW references on Maid! (although filmed in Canada).

1 Like

Finally started Maid. Itā€™s really well done and well acted. This is not too far off the reality of my life and that of people I know, but itā€™s almost comforting to see it put into the world for more people to understand.

2 Likes

We finished Maid tonight. We all thought it was well done. I thought Margaret Qualley was very good and was surprised when I looked her up during the first episode and found out she was Andieā€™s daughter. I thought all the acting was superb, and especially liked BJ Harrison in her role.

I mean itā€™s a testament to her that she has none of her mothers ( extremely annoying in my opinion) acting mannerisms. I think she comes off as a great fresh actress. Oh and in this role the mannerisms actually worked in her moms favor. She was SUPPOSED to be annoying! Lol.

Margaret Qualley occasionally reminded me a little of Anne Hathaway. I bet Andie McDowell loved playing that role.

Finished it last night. Overall, I really enjoyed it. Of course, thanks to someone pointing it out upthread, I couldnā€™t get past the detail of there conveniently being a toddler carseat in a certain car in episode 9. I have to think that there are probably really strict safety laws that they couldnā€™t get around while filming in order for them to so obviously stray from reality on that detail.

We noticed ā€œthe car seat thingā€ in episode 2. The first thing both my DH and I commented on when she was clearing out her car, was to take the car seat (which she did not), but in all subsequent rides there just happened to be a carseat. :wink: , including a cab ride.

I donā€™t buy the fact that these wealthy home owners use such a crummy cleaning service. I mean, I probably would to save money (back when I had someone clean my house she definitely wasnā€™t vetted or insured).

It doesnā€™t seem like a crummy cleaning service. What we see of Alex doing her job seems like she does a great job. Sheā€™s got her ā€œuniformā€, the clients wouldnā€™t know she had to buy her own supplies and wouldnā€™t care whether sheā€™s got health insurance, I assume.
The premises where the serviceā€™s owner works are crummy, but people would contract by phone and wouldnā€™t know that, all theyā€™d know is the cost to them and the serviceā€™s quality, with possibility to request a specific cleaner or request not to have a specific cleaner (we know that because Alex is reluctantly ā€œhired backā€ due to being requested.)
Theyā€™d be insured for breaking things but wouldnā€™t necessarily have health insurance.

2 Likes

Iā€™m talking about things like background checks for employees who are left alone in the homes, I think thatā€™s usually a big worry homeowners have about cleaning services. The social worker said there was a high turnover rate as well. I guess the cleaning company could be misrepresenting the business, or it could be the only service there.

I assumed a mix of both: misrepresenting the business to the islandā€™s rich clients as a way of dealing with high turnover due to being on the island (despite providing ferry passes, which shows that cleaners come from the mainland) + being the only cleaning service on the island (apparently based on Whidbey island, which according to the interwebs has about 40,000 people in easily accessible areas and about 30,000 in really isolated areas; main town has 22,000 people so having just one cleaning service would make sense.)

1 Like

Started watching Maid last night and got through the first two episodes. We noticed the car seat thing right away. H said after the second episode that he guesses this isnā€™t a feel good show.

It felt realistic rather than purposely bleak. Thereā€™s almost always something positive (except in a few episodes), kindness, hope, good news, a revenge on life, a good wordā€¦

It did make me review my perspective on any benefit that is ā€œmeans testedā€. Because what that means, really, is ā€œmaking it conditional, not necessarily on income, but on ability to wade through tons of red tape which the neediest single moms donā€™t have time forā€.
Looking at all the paperwork and appointments meaning missed hours/$, I imagined a system where, when your income hit $z, all boxes got automatically checked for you and you automatically accessed the benefits, but you could uncheck any box that you felt didnā€™t apply, just one online form and only if it didnā€™t apply. (I know thereā€™s probably no realistic way to make that work :frowning: ).

2 Likes

I agree. We are so obsessed as a culture with making sure no one gets too much ā€œbenefitsā€ that we would rather accept that some people are not getting what they should.

Also, as far as the maid service, I think that is based pretty closely on Landā€™s book and her experiences.

2 Likes

I recently started binge watching The Expanse on Amazon Prime. I somehow bypassed it when it was first on SciFi but am glad because now I can watch it commercial free. I also have been reading the old tv boards to help my understanding , which led me to the book series starting with Leviathan Wakes. Iā€™m hopscotching between the show and books, staying slightly ahead in the books. Itā€™s been a lot of fun seeing the similarities and differences and what other viewers thought about it at the time it first aired. Sometimes it does take me a minute or two to remember where the plot is when I switch!

1 Like

On fall break with afternoon free. Just finished final episode of season 2 of Ted Lasso and it does not disappoint. I have loved the whole season, but especially episodes 4(Christmas), 5,10,11 & 12. It will be hard waiting for season 3.

5 Likes