Binge watched tv shows

On Britbox, for Father Brown fans, 2 new episodes per week, every Tuesday, starting yesterday.

Dexter. (On Amazon Prime)

Given the age and length of this thread Iā€™m sure itā€™s been mentioned but I just discovered ā€œDexterā€ and must say itā€™s one of the best binges Iā€™ve ever had.

I saw the promos for the new reboot thatā€™s on Showtime (which I dont have) and that got me thinking that a show that gets a reboot after having a multi-season prior run is likely to be good. After two episodes I was hooked. From the premise I was skeptical I would like the main character but the character storylines are so compelling and well developed across multiple characters. Give it a try. Sorry if this post was redundant but given folks rediscovering series like West Wing I thought Iā€™d toss this out there for any Prime subscribers.

3 Likes

I really like documentary-like shows like Dope Sick (Hulu) and I recently started HighTown (Amazon/Starz), which hits home because Iā€™m from the area where itā€™s based (Cape Cod and southeastern MA). This is a Robbery (Netflix) was good albeit repetitive and could have been accomplished in one or two hours, but if youā€™re from the Boston area, learning more about the Isabella Stewart Gardner heist was interesting.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reference! I came across that title when I looked up one of the main actresses in Vigil, Suranne Jones (the other one is Rose Leslie but GoT is too violent for me). I wasnā€™t sure but Iā€™ll try that next. šŸ˜„

@mwcdss: a friend recommended Dexter but she loves horror movies, Gothic novels, ghosts, goreā€¦ whereas Iā€™m super squeamish, so how would you rateit on a PG to GoT spectrum?

1 Like

Hmmm itā€™s tough to characterize. Definitely more towards GoT territory but not done to shock I feel. More like a forensics show so plenty of bodies and crime scenes but not like slow motion shots of chainsaws going through people. That said, every other word is a swear word and there are also sexual relations portrayed but not with full frontal nudity.

If you like documentaries, we just watched Made You Look on Netflix. About an NYC art gallery that predated the Civil War, who sold to JP Morgan and that ilk, got caught selling 80 million dollars of fake paintings by Rothko, and other 1950ā€™s American artists. Happened around 2011 or so.

4 Likes

My daughter had that assigned for her art history course and told us about it over the break. Same for the one about the Barnes Collection mentioned upthread.

Thanks @MADad, Iā€™ll add it to the list! Not to beat a dead The Americans horse:), but I think the added historical element is what makes it so good. I still remember watching The Day After in the 80s and just how much it affected me, so to see it used in The Americans was really great.

1 Like

We are on the Queer Eyeā€™s last season which is in Austin and love watching it. I read that they have a lot of ad lib instead of all scripted. We are amazed at people that they find and the differences they can make in peoples lives.

2 Likes

I loved Alan Tudyk in Firefly several years ago. Heā€™s a really underrated comic actor.

1 Like

Very late to the party but we compulsively watched all of Lupin on Netflix and it was highly enjoyable. Weā€™ve enjoyed Montalbano and Rocco Schiavone: Ice Cold Murders and this series fit well with them. We arenā€™t traveling abroad anytime soon so the Paris scenery was entertaining.

3 Likes

thatā€™s what matters most to me :palm_down_hand: :+1:

Regarding Dexter , for those curious on the premise itā€™s like CSI meets The Equilizer. The main character works with CSI and thus knows about all the baddies out there. He then often deals out the justice because he canā€™t help himself. Call it killing two birds with one stone.

Speaking of documentaries and for anyone who enjoys parody, have you watched any of Documentary Now? It is hit or miss but there are a couple of outstanding episodes (Sandy Passage, Juan Likes Rice and Chicken.) My personal favorite is ā€œOriginal Cast Album: Co-opā€ with John Mulaney - I could watch it on a loop.

Pretty sure these have been mentioned before, but these were the suggestions I gave to my daughter whoā€™s looking at a couple of days of being snowed in:
Ghosts on cbs/paramount plus if you havenā€™t caught up.
UK version of ghosts on HBO max.
How I met you father on Hulu.
Rewatch resident alien to get ready for the new season?
Get back on Disney. 9 hours of Beatles footage if youā€™re into that.
I can probably think of more if you need them.
Did you see donā€™t look up? Netflix I think
Oh and what we do in the shadows (Hulu) if you havenā€™t watched that yet

Another documentary series Iā€™m finding fascinating is ā€˜24 Hours in Police Custodyā€™ on Britbox. The title pretty much says it all, itā€™s filmed in a Police Station in Luton, a town a bit north of London and it seems in such contrast to so much of the police footage we see. Not really bingeing it, one episode a night is enough.

1 Like

Have you seen Parenthood or Brothers and Sister? Both wonderful family dramas.

6 Likes

E Funny you say that I have not watched either but want to start watching tonight As We See It on Amazon Prime from the producer of Parenthood

I think itā€™s just released today

3 Likes

No, but I will check them out. Iā€™m so bored by tv these days.

Started the new season of Ozark!! Watched the first two episodes. Apparently, there are 14 episodesā€“seven out now and seven later in the year. It didnā€™t disappoint!!

6 Likes