Binge watched tv shows

Do you ever find yourself binging a show that you don’t really love but you just feel the need to finish it out? I think binging lends itself to this happening more than a network series that comes on once a week which you can detach from easier??

I started watching Sweet Magnolias based on someone IRL’s recommendation. FOR ME, this show is like an extended Hallmark movie to a degree - and I hate Hallmark movies!

But here I am in the middle of the second season (there are only 2) - I read something about a dramatic season 2 ending - so I feel I have to finish it out - even though it’s SO predictable and to me, cheesy!!!

4 Likes

It’s so sappy and seems to get more so in season 2. Way too much prayin’ and whatnot, but I stuck with it. You are already vested so it’s worth the end of the season. At least in my opinion.

1 Like

I feel exactly the same about Sweet Magnolias! I just texted to some friends that I didn’t expect to like it because it was too “Hallmark movie-ish” for me, but I got sucked in. I just chuckle at the cheesiness. I’ve finished S2 and I’ll just say that I hope there is a S3 because it ended with another cliffhanger.

2 Likes

Same here with Sweet Magnolias. I sat next to DH and he’s like- what are you watching, some Christian inspirational movie?

1 Like

Space Force now on season two Netflix. Just a LOL comedy I needed right now.

1 Like

I’m totally enjoying As We See It. My niece has Asperger’s and they are doing a good job. The writer must have someone in his family with it. Parenthood is a generational drama and one person has it. I think they are also doing a nice job discussing how tiring it is for parents and other caregivers. As extended family, I can attest to how tiring it is to be around someone with this, even just for a little while.

You should definitely give Parenthood a shot. You’ll need to watch a few shows, as the first few are just introducing the characters.

1 Like

I’ve thought that maybe Parenthood will be my summer binge! I’m glad you are enjoying As We See It.

2 Likes

Last Tango in Halifax!

1 Like

I loved Ozark and have watched all of it—anxiously awaiting Season 4 Part 2. Mostly, because I liked Julia Garner (Ruth), I decided to binge on Inventing Anna. I can’t stand Garner’s accent in this series and I’ve only have two episodes left. My H stopped watching after the first episode. I’m only watching because I feel the need to finish it out.

1 Like

I will preface my bingeworthy pick by saying I haven’t read the whole thread and I’m an 80s kid. That said, I love Cobra Kai. Sure, it’s corny and cliched but Zabka and Kove hit every nostalgic note. Macchio seems less enthusiastic but he doesn’t spoil the fun.

3 Likes

thanks to all above for the Durrell suggestion! started it last night and have a feeling a binge is coming on - it’s delightful and quirky! Sven and the accordian -so strange! I love the youngest kid. **and the older brother who’s advice to his 16 yr old heartbroken sister was “loose weight” - so true on what a teen boy might say; even 90 years ago!

edited: it was in the thread “shows like all creatures big and small” where The Durrells was mentioned . . . . not this thread. But - still - THANKS!

5 Likes

Just finished space force Netflix season two. Just plain fun.

1 Like

Dh and I watched the first season of Sweet Magnolias and, while not dh’s favorite, he went along on the ride with me. He made it through the first two episodes of this current season and said all the religious references were too much and he was bowing out. I feel like they have new writers and the show would be more appropriate on a Christian network. Not sure if I’ll go back to it or not.

2 Likes

I felt the same way about Virgin River! (An attempted Hallmark meets Northern Exposure.)

We were so excited about “The Marvelous Mrs Maisel” (season 4) being released Amazon Prime. I see in a prior post that only 2 episodes a week, probably ok because we try to ration the shows we love. My husband and I both laugh a lot at it! Lots of interesting characters, including one played by Tony Shaloub (from “Monk”.)

2 Likes

I don’t know where to post this. I don’t want to trivialize it. Everyone needs to watch “Winter on Fire: the Ukrainian Fight for Freedom” covering events of 2013-4.

9 Likes

I recommend Traces, a British crime drama set in Dundee. Season 2 is showing up an episode at a time on Britbox so we’ll wait till all episodes are available then watch one a night. We rewatched season 1 in preparation then were disappointed to see only 2 new episodes available. It’s hard these days to wait a week for a new episode!!

Season 4 of Killing Eve premieres tonight on BBC America

I’m the opposite. I wait til a show I love has released all episodes to watch. I love the binge…hate the drip…drip…drip of a slow release watch.

3 Likes

I understand the appeal of binge method too. Sometimes we’ve watched 2 episodes of a show same night, and it is especially fun when it is a combo of season-end cliff hanger and first episode of the next season.