Binge watched tv shows

I just finished watching Severance too and thought it was really good! Fantastic season finale - I can’t wait for Season 2. So glad it got renewed.

3 Likes

Honestly, talking about episodes that first aired ELEVEN seasons ago can hardly be called spoilers!!!

4 Likes

For somebody that has just started into a series, anything can be a spoiler.

Call The Midwife - One of our favorites! I am shocked that hubby likes it … but quite pleased. (Ok, it did take some time to get used to the child birthing scenes. But we are fans.). Here is a fun podcast with the writer - BBC Radio 4 - Desert Island Discs, Heidi Thomas, screenwriter

4 Likes

There’s been a general courtesy agreement on this thread not to include discussion that could be considered spoilers. Many people are just discovering old shows, often from recommendations on this thread - that’s why they can be binged. So we all try to be polite and let each other enjoy the shows as new to them.

People who want to discuss the details of a show have started new threads where spoilers are not an issue. Call the Midwife has had a couple of threads in the past: Call the Midwife

9 Likes

Thanks, @Marilyn and @Colorado_mom --As you both pointed out, it’s mentioned at this point of the thread because I literally said I just started it. Appreciate you speaking up. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Masterpiece Studio is another podcast where you can find content on Call the Midwife among the episodes on PBS favorites.

1 Like

Luckily I don’t think Call the Midwife would actually be spoiled by any spoilers I can think of ! There are cast changes over the years, but not huge twists in the plot or anything like that that I can remember. It got hard for us to watch at some point and so I have not seen the last few seasons. I don’t know if I can get my husband back to watching or not.

1 Like

We started watching Bosch (on Amazon) last night and it seems promising.

1 Like

@shawbridge : I watched Candice Renoir, posted a bunch of links and explanations upthread, probably in December before technical problems. (Will try to find link later)

Watched Bridgerton: thought it was good but after a few episodes the “breathing in each other’s face” got repetitive. I liked how in episode 2 of Gentleman Jack they had lots of “tension/chemistry” but had more range in the way of showing it (ie., one character holds the other’s hand under the guise of holding a handkerchief to a wound, this sort of thing). The clothes and dances were great. It’s made to look like history would look like if you didn’t care about accuracy but wanted to have the look of it and let you know it’s absolutely aware of it. Wanting to find a husband is a bit limiting though so I liked how they added stories for the other characters. Am hoping Benedict (?) gets to lead a double life with an artistic boyfriend and that Eloise finds an intellectual match (perhaps that young printer or someone like this) to make it a bit scandalous. Hope we see more of Kate. Disappointed we didn’t see the Duke. Daphne always reminds me of Elsa in Frozen though.

Am binging Our Flag Means Death because I’d been playing Pirates&Knights with foam swords and lots of “I’m not dead yet you just WOUNDED me!” lately – the show is HILARIOUS. Am on episode 4.

Looking forward to Gentleman Jack tomorrow :slight_smile: because the work on historicity is remarkable: the outfits, food they ate, furniture, carriages, props, everything is accurate. Also I started reading the 1832-1834 diaries when I had covid and LOTS of things happen then so we’re in for a wild ride. (A typical diary entry reads like: business report/list of stuff done and people met today/sex/planted a tree/read Civil Engineering report pp 119-152/translated Horace pp 42-43/odd thing that happened/prayed with aunt/fought with sister/plotting sth for election/rainy today – except during the honeymoon which is more like: saw awesome place/sex/food/bought souvenirs/talked with interesting person I cornered/weather too hot). It absolutely blows my mind such a person really existed 200 years ago.

I was not sure if I liked Bosch at its very first episode. I was glad that I gave it time. It was an excellent show (to me). I like Titus as Bosch, but my favorite character was Lt. Grace Billets (played by Amy Aquino). She was something!!

5 Likes

Tell me more about Severence. We are two episodes into it, on the fence about whether to continue. But… there have been some shows in the past (including Counterpart, which we eventually loved) that took a while to get hooked.

1 Like

Husband and I started Slow Horses ——thanks to suggestions made on this topic

2 Likes

Don’t give up! The first few episodes are focused on setting up the world. The initial severance premise seems so really out there in the sci-fi territory that it doesn’t seem to have any connection or meaning to the real world that we live in. And the initial way that the innie characters are portrayed are done for a reason, but makes it hard to emotionally connect with them initially. But the show does such a good job of teasing out the implications of severance, exploring reasons why someone might choose it, and what the real impact would be for the innies versus the outies, and building each of the characters so that you really care about them. I went in thinking ok, this is an interesting premise but I totally can’t see where they are going with this or how they can come up with any reasonable explanations for the things that are happening plot-wise because none of it makes any sense. And lo and behold, with everything that is slowly revealed, they absolutely do that!

4 Likes

Am curious about Severance, too.
(Note: I’m trying to avoid depressing shows - where characters are all shady and cut throat with not one redeeming quality, or where there’s no hope. Is it a show where the subtext is “The future is bleak”? I loved Continuum but wouldn’t watch it now, for instance).
I’m hoping to start The Expanse, Dr.Who (recommended by a friend as including time travel - I thought it was about a British phone booth that travels through space and takes the Doctor to visit planets), The Time Traveller’s Wife, and Abott Elementary.

2 Likes

I totally get this. Even though I was interested in watching the Oscar-nominated movies, I had no desire to watch Power of the Dog as it sounded too depressing, and chose to watch CODA instead. With that said, I don’t think Severance is depressing at all even though it deals with grief. The show is very weird and unsettling, but it has a lot of heart and humanity and highlights how ultimately, it is our bonds with others that end up mattering the most.

2 Likes

we just finished Severance…I’ll admit, we skipped a couple episodes (I read the recaps) because the early episodes were actually giving me nightmares . That being said, the final episode was 100% awesome, so hang in there, skeptics! it is really not about the future as much as it is being human against thr odds.

Now we are watching The Tourist – Jamie Dorrance in the outback, mysteriously bereft of his memory and distrust abounds. We may get a BBC streaming subscription to see thr latest Shetland, too.

3 Likes

I’ve been a casual Whovian forever - watched the early series while I was in college. Then I started back with Doctor 9 in 2005. I have favorite and not so favorite Doctors, companions, and seasons. The link to time travel is that The Doctor travels in the TARDIS (stuck in the shape of a phone booth) which can travel through space and time. He is not of Earth but no more spoilers (if there is such a thing with Doctor Who). There are epic storylines and arcs that encompass the entire series. I still rewatch favorite episodes - like listening to a favorite album.

I loved The Expanse - never saw it when it was first on but started watching it during the winter. After the first season, I started on the books and flip flopped between books and show all the way to the end, always happy with both.

4 Likes

Binging Hacks. Love it!

7 Likes

Laura Neal had a year to write the series finale of Killing Eve, and this piece of crap was the best she would do?!?

4 Likes

Eek. I’m on episode 6…