Binge watched tv shows

There is no single word for “please” in Danish; there are multi-word phrases as in French. “Tak” has many meanings depending on the situation, similar to “prego” in Italian or “bitte” in German. But yes, “tak” is common when ordering coffee.

That’s the challenge with some when learning a foreign language; they tend to try to translate using the sentence structure of their native language instead of formulating the sentence as it should be done. The Dutch even have a word for bad ESL phrases - steenkolenengels ([stone] coal English). BTW, and along those lines, Dutch does have a single word for “please” (alstublieft), but it is far more common to use “graag” (gladly) when ordering coffee.

“Hej” and “hej hej.” There are other ways, but these are common informal words like “hi” and “bye.”

Thus ends the European culture lesson for the day.

4 Likes

yes, Vigil - submarine. Will fix my typo :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just finished binge watching “Old Enough” on Netflix. It is a Japanese reality tv show about toddlers running errands on their own. Like going to a grocery store and buying a short list of items. It is a must watch! Each episode is about 10-15 minutes long. Adorable, a little harrowing at times (though totally safe), and really amazing what little ones can do when they put their minds to it.

7 Likes

The non-use of surnames was really what I found most fascinating. At the beginning I thought the children were using her first name to be “cheeky” and then I realized, nope. Thats just how it is there. Teachers are called by their first names by students. It’s like how here in many places in the US children no longer call adults Mr or Mrs. ( teachers being the only exception). Families who move to my area from the South seem stunned by this.

1 Like

I learned tak (thanks) and jeps (yeah - pronounced “yeps”). Trying to work them both into my every day vocabulary :laughing:

Was also happy to see pushy parents are universal!

2 Likes

It’s that way in Iceland, where your last name comes from your father (for males) or your mother (females). So siblings can have different last names. If Magnus Anderson has a son, the son’s last name is Magnuson. If Inga Marisdottur has a daughter, her last name is Ingasdottur.

So in Reykjavik, if you meet the president of the country on the street, you address them by their first name.

Other Scandinavian countries eliminated this at some point as their population grew and the confusion grew along with it. With only 330,000 people, Iceland has kept this system.

2 Likes

Absolutely loving After Life and finally, after all this waiting, the final season of Better Call Saul.

1 Like

I just finished all 11 episodes of Shameless. I had somehow missed ever hearing of this show. One certainly sees how hard it is to be poor without resources, especially in the first season. And in eleven seasons, you sure become involved with the kids and their bad choices. If you haven’t seen it be aware it is very explicit when it comes to sex. I have seen more of William Macey’s backside then I ever wanted to see!

I started the first episode (of 4) of a documentary on Netflix called Bad Vegan. I don’t remember this story on the news, but so far it is very interesting. It’s sort of a mystery/crime with the backdrop of this famous restaurant owner/chef.

We just watched The Outlaws on Amazon Prime. I LOVED it. Not only is it funny, but there’s a real plot too, with twists and turns. The acting is great. So good, that I can’t even believe they are acting. And I happen to be very fond of Bristol, where it’s located. Such a hip, vibrant city, and it’s definitely a character in the show. Christopher Walken is hilarious. Watch it!

5 Likes

We got hooked on Escape to the Chateau as a result of PBS reruns. On Peacock (have it free as a result of being a Comcast customer) we’ve watched all episodes of the original series. The spinoff DIY series has close to if not more than 100 episodes! Have watched about 12 or so of those.

For some reason we find the show relaxing----I noticed the other day that much of their background music seems to be many of the tunes used by British Bake Off–that may be it!

Could not agree more. I’m so glad I caught a radio interview with Stephen Merchant two weeks ago. Eleanor from Poldark, Walken, Darren from Imagine Me and You (2005) a movie I loved. Some actors new to me but what a great cast. Love the British shows, never been there though.

2 Likes

Gervais can grate on me after a while, but really like the ensemble feel of the show. Personal fav is Penelope Wilton, who has a small part as the widow he meets at the cemetery on a regular basis. She is so completely effortless and natural - there are no small parts, only small actors, as they say.

1 Like

It’s super cute to watch. I’m not sure that any of those parents would have really allowed the kids those adventures if a whole crew of camera operators and other tv crew weren’t making sure the two year olds weren’t going to be hit by a car. I personally don’t believe that having kids do things at a certain age really matters for their ability to do it later in life. Both my kids grew up the opposite of any free range parenting but yet as young adults have navigated complicated bus and subway systems and travelled around the world on their own as soon as I let them ( subways around 16…travels in college) . My favorite story is that because I’m territorial about my laundry room and actually like the task my kids never did laundry growing up and then in college their grandma gifted them laundry service so they didn’t even do it when they first got there. More than one horrified person expressed concern about how they would manage later in life. Her junior year my daughter was abroad. No laundry service. She FaceTimed me and was like “ I don’t understand what the big deal is. I googled how to do laundry and this could not be easier. What’s to “ learn” that takes more than 10 minutes?” My kids were also not given an opportunity to cook growing up ( again I’m just don’t like other people in my space). Yet both are excellent cooks learning fast and easily as adults.

I agree - there are things kiddo has no clue about. He could do laundry young, but cooking not so much. And power tools? Fahgetaboutit.

The thing I like about this wack-a-doodle show is how much the little ones love doing thing to help their parents. It is such a human instinct. Plus, how they get this sense of pride in their accomplishments.

But no way in h$&@ I would send a 3 year old out on his own to catch a bus.

2 Likes

The last episodes little boy had such a sweet personality. He reminded me of my younger daughter. Worried that he was taking too much stuff and thanking everyone so profusely for helping him and wishing them well. And being concerned that his mom was worried. That kind of emotional intelligence some kids are just born with. It can’t really be taught.

He was such a really kind person.

The other one that got me was the sashimi boy and the dandelion/second soda (no spoilers). :heart:

1 Like

I’m 3 episodes into The Outlaws and glad to know it continues to be good. It’s a good blend of funny and suspense. Giving me Ted Lasso vibes with how they’ve stuck up for each other. So far at least.

3 Likes

I just love Abbott Elementary. My 21 yr old son was over for Easter and as he’s a sitcom and tik tok fan I was telling him about the episode with the desk walking. I kept laughing as I explained it in detail to him.

2 Likes

I think it’s a great ensemble cast. I am not a teacher but still found the finale very emotional. And funny .