Binge watched tv shows

I just discovered The Bear on Hulu and watched it straight through five half hour episodes. I’m holding off finishing the eight episode season until tomorrow just to stretch out the pleasure. Fantastic drama (and comedy, to some extent) about a James Beard award winning chef returning to take over his family Italian beef restaurant in Chicago. All of the characters are interesting and all well acted. Plus bonus of Chicago scenes! (They did a bit of filming at Mr. Beef on Orleans.)

No spoilers, tempted as I am to go into details. It’s a huge hit - scored 100% critics and 92% audience on Rotten Tomatoes.

10 Likes

I loved The Bear! I finished binging it a couple of days ago. A friend of mine’s daughter co-wrote the sixth episode.

4 Likes

@abasket - We thought Severance was OK, but often horribly slow paced. The season conclusion did help pull things together somewhat, but in retrospect it is one of the programs that we could have easily skipped if not desparate for time fillers (which neither of us vetoed) during Covid. A few scenes are a little creepy but no intense violence.

1 Like

I was looking for something to binge on Netflix while I walk on our treadmill. I chose How To Get Away with Murder because of Viola Davis. I didn’t watch it when it originally aired. I’m about 10 episodes into season one and I have to say it makes the time fly by. It helped me actually up my step count during our recent hot spell.

2 Likes

I wonder anyone has seen a new British/Irish police detective show called Redemption. The story was set in Dublin, Ireland. The first time watching Paula Malcomson playing the lead role. I like her.

Sister Michael from the Derry Girls has a supporting role. Love the Irish accent.

For the people who liked The Bear, there’s a documentary on Netflix called Bad Vegan that’s about the restaurant world as well. It’s a fascinating story about the chef/owner (Sarma Melngailis) of Pure Food and Wine in NYC, a very popular vegan/raw food restaurant/store in NYC. Lots of intrigue as you follow Melngailis who goes from being the queen of vegan restaurants to being a fugitive.

2 Likes

Enjoying Single Drunk Female (Hulu).

2 Likes

I just found this one last night and watched the first 3 episodes. So good! I worked in restaurants throughout college and grad school and the writers nailed it, as far as capturing the culture in the back of the house.

1 Like

I’ve read a number of articles agreeing with how accurately the show captures the world of restaurants.

Finished Single Drunk Female–I really liked it! What to binge next? Maybe Uncoupled on Netflix.

Uncoupled was excellent - not sure who recommended on this thread - but highly appreciated.

Just finished Bosch. Final season really suffered under COVID.

Just finished first season of What We Do In The Shadows. Son’s been campaigning that I should watch this. It’s offbeat for sure with lots of dark humor, with bits of the style of The Office (a film crew) thrown in.

The 4th season is being released, one episode every Wednesday. Seasons 5 and 6 have already been approved.

Bummer. We’ve really been enjoying Bosch. We watch 2 episodes at a time, like we do with many series to make it more “movie-like”

2 Likes

The very last episode was back to the regular level but I think they mashed a few episodes together due to COVID. The last season was filmed in 2020 and only had 8 episodes vs 10 for the other seasons so my guess is they had to cut filming short and squeezed 4 episodes into the space of 2.

2 Likes

Finished the last episode of the latest season of Stranger Things. H teases me constantly while watching as I constantly say “children in peril!” What a scary, great season.

2 Likes

I am still trying to get through the 9 episodes of Severance! I think I am on 5. I LIKE it, but it freaks me out and I sometimes have to pause it and go back later - I’m a mild tv watcher and this is out of my comfort zone! I guess I’m not bingeing it if it’s taking me a month to watch 9 episodes!

3 Likes

We watched the new (2nd) season of Reservation Dog. We like it.

3 Likes

I’m not much of a streamer, but I just finished watching all 3 seasons of Umbrella Academy. I really liked it alot. My D turned me on to it.

Also, just recently got caught up on Only Murders in the Building. A little campy, but entertaining nonetheless.

3 Likes

We felt the same way about Severence. The last few episodes were maybe a little better, but it was a slow slog. Were you the poster who was contemplating Parenthood? We enjoyed that more, and lots of seasons.