Binge watched tv shows

I just binged the remake of A League of Their Own. I liked it very much–great characters and story lines. I will say that if you are looking for a baseball story, it really isn’t so much, and the baseball scenes seem the least paid attention to as far as authenticity.

But I, a huge baseball fan, didn’t really mind. It was telling a compelling story about people figuring out who they are, in a time period where there were tremendous barriers of all kinds. And it did that really, really well.

Hoping it gets picked up for a second season.

2 Likes

It is one of my favorite movies! Thanks. I’ll look for the series.

1 Like

Just to be clear, I love the movie too, but the series is not simply a remake. Different characters and story lines, though same general premise, and echoes some famous lines and moments but in different ways.

3 Likes

Enjoyed Paper Girls and Only Murders. I’m not a rabid fan but do enjoy Marvel stuff - Ms Marvel was cute and I liked the window into a different culture. I actually like She Hulk, but Tatiana Maslaney could act in fairy tales and I would watch😊

I love British procedural but don’t have BritBox or Acorn so haven’t had access.

1 Like

The town where I live hopes it gets picked up soon. The Peaches played here (Rockford, IL) and they are beloved.

1 Like

“Endeavour” is enjoyable to watch, particularly the acting and characters that remind us of colleagues from the UK. We prefer when the details of a mystery are exposed throughout, so the viewer has a chance to solve the mystery. Endeavour sometimes fails to do so, holding onto the crucial details until the very end for a “surprise” conclusion with the guilty character having little to no airplay throughout. Overall pretty good.

1 Like

Just finished the 3 seasons of McDonald and Dodds. The plots got better and better as the series progressed. As McDonald gradually accepted and respected Dodds for what he brings to the table, it got better and better.

2 Likes

Spoilers for A League of Their Own - series on Amazon Prime Video

Summary

I just finished A League of Their Own and hoped someone would start a discussion about it. I liked the movie a lot, wouldn’t say I loved it. What I actually didn’t like about the series was the ways it tried to be like the movie. Where they tried to re-create the people in the movie with similar looks, hairstyles, etc. even though they weren’t the same character. I think they could have just gone with different characters. They didn’t need the coach to be similar, especially since he disappeared so quickly. I also wasn’t fond of the two main characters. I didn’t really think they were well developed and I didn’t really see any chemistry between them. And I didn’t like the salty language - didn’t seem realistic for the time. But I liked the baseball storyline, the struggles of trying to accept who one is, and I liked the new Black characters and their storylines a lot. I also would have liked to have had more stories focusing on the other Peaches. I thought it was a 1 season only so was surprised that it seems to be leading into a continuation.

1 Like

Just sayin’ - if you say “spoilers” but don’t say what it’s spoilers for - it doesn’t really help us decide whether to read or scroll past it.

Don’t know if anyone has posted about this series (on HBO Max), but if you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend Barry. Wow—it’s dark, but really well done. Bill Hader (I knew him from Saturday Night Live) is great as Barry (main character). He also wrote, produced, and directed the series. There are 3 seasons.

4 Likes

Episodes 3 and 4 of “Welcome to Wrexham” are dropping tonight. It’s a docuseries about Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney purchasing a professional football club in Wales. And trying to become more successful and promoted from the lowest professional football league in the English system, the National Football League (5th level), up a level to the English Football League (4th level).

I believe there are 11 levels of English football but only the top 5 are fully professional. Below Wrexham’s level they are semi-pros at best. Episode 1 showed a shocking graphic–players in Wrexham’s league average 40K pounds per year salary. EPL benchwarmer makes millions.

For the Tolkien fans out there tomorrow begins “The Rings of Power” on Prime. I haven’t read any great reviews of it but will try and keep an open mind. I think it will be like the Fantastic Beasts Harry Potter series where it’s vaguely based on written stories but they weren’t flushed out like the original books were so there is a lot of leeway as to the story line. Tolkien wrote some stories that took place with the 3000 year span that was the second age but really nothing more than an outline. As a Tolkien fanatic I’m going try to enjoy them for what they are not what I believe they should be.

2 Likes

I learned something new today!

Not really a spoiler:

Could be helpful in this thread!

You have to read the spoiler to see what it’s a spoiler for. :grinning:

I fixed it. I’m still smarting from being told I spoiled the show The Chair for someone on here so I was trying to be more cautious. but apparently still failed.

Edited: And now I just fixed it again with your Spoiler tag suggestion. Cool ! Thanks.

2 Likes

For those who like crime drama, check Bloodlands out. It is a “Northern Irish police procedural”. If you watched Derry Girls, you will recognize a few actors/actresses.

If you like a plot twist, this one gets 5 stars.

Just started Bad Sisters on Apple+ TV and so far, so good! It’s funny but also a thriller. The cast is mostly Irish, with several of them recognizable from other series. Highly recommend!

1 Like

I watched the first 2 episodes of The Rings of Power on Amazon Prime. I enjoyed both shows and will watch the upcoming episodes.

2 Likes

Just finished Endeavour, the prequel to Inspector Morse, which was excellent. Ready for The Rings of Power.

1 Like

Just began “Under the Banner of Heaven” last night.