Binge watched tv shows

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned this series, but a friend recommended it and we’ve enjoyed it so far–The Righteous Gemstones. It’s a satrical look at a family of TV evangelists. Great cast–John Goodman from Roseanne plays the head of the family and does a great job.

2 Likes

The Righteous Gemstones is one big hot crazy mess. And I’ve watched both seasons and am looking forward to the 3rd. I first watched it when I read it’s filmed around Charleston, SC where I’ve been many times visiting family. I recognize some of the locations. John Goodman is great in it, and also has lost A LOT of weight in recent years.

1 Like

We really enjoy “Julia”, though we are certainly disappointed to learn one of the stars and our favorite character, ‘Alice Naman’ is Hollywood fiction.

3 Likes

I’d say 6 episodes a day counts as a binge!!!

We all have our idea of what “binge” might mean. To me it just means taking a show/series and watching it in a shortened period of time than when it aired???

3 Likes

We finished Derry Girls and I have mixed emotions. I know that Lisa McGee faced Covid problems and the passage of time (the actors playing the teenagers are pushing thirty and it required significant suspension of disbelief in some cases). I just felt that the third season was not as good as the first two. My favorite episode was the one involving the parents with the flashbacks to their youths. I thought the closing episode, with the voting on the Good Friday agreement, was really strong. The idea that the kids have grown up enough to vote was a quite powerful and effective conclusion to their coming-of-age story, although I could have done without the NYC epilogue (won’t provide spoiler). But much of the third season was awkward and self-conscious and just missing the magic of the first two seasons. However, still a great show that I loved. RIP Derry Girls.

I guess if you read the meaning of the NYC part in IRL it makes sense. I just loved all three seasons and especially the way it ended.

3 Likes

I love the way it ended, too.

On a lighter note, love Orla’s ID picture.

1 Like

I loved the end of the last episode of Derry Girls. The music was great and I had to find it for my walking playlist. It was a good show.

1 Like

I also thought Derry Girls had a perfect ending and really like S3 just as much as the first two seasons. There are very few shows on my list that I thought had perfect endings - The Americans, Fleabag, and Parenthood to name a few. Most shows seem to end up running too long and going out with a whimper. Not to mention the ones with atrocious endings like Game of Thrones and How I Met Your Mother but you have to give those showrunners credit at least - it’s not easy to come up with an ending that totally destroys every speck of love and goodwill you had towards the show, lol.

2 Likes

Loved season 3 of Derry Girls. Probably my favorite season.

1 Like

I thought it hit new levels, especially the last couple episodes, which felt more like watching a movie.

The NY ending, as someone said, made sense in both connecting to an earlier season’s moment, and in the life of the show creator.

1 Like

I thought the last episode of Derry Girls was a perfect bookend to the season 2 finale, with the Bill Clinton visit bringing hope that The Troubles could end.

Having visited Ireland 5 years ago, the people there do NOT want Brexit to bring a return to those days. The open border is non-negotiable.

3 Likes

Just finished the four episode series “Inside Man” starring David Tennant and Stanley Tucci. The premise was pretty unbelievable, but it was still a good thriller with many twists and a lot of sardonic humor. I’ll watch anything with David Tennant! The final episode was a letdown, though.

1 Like

I hadn’t watched the fourth season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (I am a fan) and watched the first four episodes last night. I think this may be the best season yet. The third episode really focuses on Susie (Midge’s manager)–wow! Alex Borstein, who plays Susie, stole the show. She’s a very good actor.

6 Likes

I thought the 3rd season of Derry Girls had good episodes and great episodes. I think it faced the problem of other good series in that the expectations are higher because of past great episodes. Was the final filmed a long time after the rest of the series? It had a different feel and the actors looked different to me. Overall as a show, though, it’s one of few I will watch again, probably several times, when I need to laugh.

3 Likes

I will keep this in mind as I wait for the new season of Ted Lasso.

5 Likes

Two series that I can watch any episode, any time and feel good afterwards are Derry Girls and Detectorists. The Johnny Flynn soundtrack on Detectorists alone can lower blood pressure significantly.

1 Like

We just LOVED The Marvelous Mrs Maisel. The storylines are funny, and the comedy monologue each week is great too. It has some actors you know (including Tony Schalhoub from “Monk”) and others you don’t… but all really, really good at their roles. If you have Prime, give it a try.

4 Likes

Yes! I almost mentioned Ted Lasso when I wrote that.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of Detectorists but now that I’ve read a description I’ll look for it. Other series like that for me are MASH, Parks and Recreation and Miranda.