Binge watched tv shows

We binged through How to Get Away with Murder, then the last season of Good Wife, then Bosch, then the man in the high castle. I wasn’t a fan of catastrophe, I wanted to like it, but didn’t.

We’re watching The 100 right now - ready to go into season 3. Anyone else?

@lookingforward, have you seen Wallander (the one with Kenneth Branagh)? Is that what you mean by Euro Noir? It’s currently one of my favorites. I haven’t seen the original Swedish version, but am curious about it. Another series I’ve heard good things about is The Bridge (Swedish/Danish version). I watched the American version of this series, set in El Paso/Mexico, and really liked it.

Another show I really like is Happy Valley, a British crime drama. And, of course, Broadchurch.

Thanks, I’ve been at this a while and watched a lot. It’s just that I don’t watch as much of the variety of US TV series as some do.

But Wallander freaked me. That house in the middle of nowhere, middle of the night, someone out there…

I started The Missing and like it, doschicos. Thanks.

1 Like

I will have to look for The Missing. I liked the first season of The Bridge. I have to see if I can catch the following seasons and see the original version. I wonder if The Killing’s original version will be streaming. I had watched The Returned on cable, liked it, and found the French version is streaming. Only got through one episode, because I have to sit and read the subtitles, but it is good so far.

Hinterland, a Welch show, is quite good. I also recommend the British series, River, about a very troubled detective.
I just started Witnesses on Netflix. It’s a very dark French police procedural.

It’s not noir, but if you haven’t seen Borgen you should. It’s great tv as long as you’re good with the subtitles.

Loved Hinterland.

Is there some trick to finding these on Netflix?

I don’t think there’s any trick–just search for the titles in the search bar at the top. Most of the ones mentioned are streaming on Netflix, but some are on DVD only (Borgen, The Bridge).

If I like a particular genre I search for something liking “European noir available on Netflix”. You often get columns by European or American journalists with pretty extensive lists.
If you’re willing to pay Borgen is available on iTunes streaming.

Yeah, I had a few sites that mentioned some good ones. It’s just that when I don’t know a name, Netflix seems to want me to slog through their endless, not well sorted lists.

Some shows are also available via Youtube, but often without subtitles. Or one I want to watch, but with Spanish subtitles. (I can only fake through basic radio Spanish, ha.)

Spiral (French) is another one I started. Will get back to it later. I’ll say again that Dicte (Danish/female reporter) is great.

While recovery from surgery I found watching tv was the only entertainment since my brain lacked the concentration to read. I am not a tv watcher. But I remembered this thread and consulted it for recommendations. I watched Broadchurch (loved it!), Happy Valley (I think that’s the best tv series I have ever watched), and Grace and Frankie (love Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlinson).

Because I enjoyed Sarah Lancashire in Happy Valley, I looked for something else she was in and watched Last Tango in Halifax. The concept was cute, but even though it was written by the same writer who wrote Happy Valley, it just became too much of a soap opera. I wouldn’t recommend it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/09/business/media/netflix-studied-your-binge-watching-habit-it-didnt-take-long.html?_r=1

I liked Last Tango in Halifax, and I liked it more the further I got into it. I liked the contrast between the almost sisters; their attitudes toward the babies is interesting–in one household whoever is available is considered worthy to take care of the baby, in the other there is all kinds of angst about who is going to take care of the baby. And yet the almost sisters get along in a funny kind of way. I’m looking forward to the next season. I’d recommend it.

I gave up on “Hap and Leonard” after three episodes. It had gotten mixed reviews, and while the positive ones said slogging through it would pay off, I just couldn’t go on. That parakeet scene at the beginning of episode 4 was the nail in the coffin for me.

I like weird, off-beat shows, and I can handle a fair amount of violence, but this show was a waste of an incredible cast IMHO.

I also really like LTiH. AFAIk there is supposed to be a series 4 but no word on when.

Last night I watched the first episode of the ESPN documentary on OJ Simpson on ABC. The remaining episodes will be on ESPN this coming week and on ESPN online. It was excellent and I am looking forward to the rest.

I recorded it and watched it this afternoon – I agree that it was really excellent!

@oldmom4896, I watched it also. It will also be on repeated ESPN2.

I fast forwarded through all the football stuff but the rest of it was good.

Good to hear, @oldmom4896. I recorded it to watch later. I really liked the earlier, dramatic version of the story on FX, but I’ve heard this was even better.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/american-crime-story/about