Binge watched tv shows

I started binge watching Call the Midwife, from season 4 on. (I may try to get my hands on Seasons 1-3 DVDs!)
Am now starting Season 7, with the arrival of Nurse Anderson, from the West Indies.
In terms of relationships, I really liked Delia&Pasty, and Fred&Violet are a favorite, but Delia&Patsy got a very soapy storyline just to keep them apart when I think it’d have been so much more interesting to have them live together and try to “pass”.
I like how social issues and medical discoveries (good… or that we know to be bad) are presented for what they were in that time period, generally with no good or happy resolution. The show is too sentimental and I skip the births, yet I keep watching…
I was amazed to learn that all the newborns are real infants! There are about 70 per season and they ‘shoot’ for 15mn, then can “rest”, then 15mn again, and that’s a wrap. Parents volunteer their babies all the time but they have to go through agencies apparently. They also have about 200 child actors per season (all the big brothers and sisters to the newborns, these kids skipping rope and running around in the background, plus the Cubs I suppose, who are sort of like urban scouts with green uniforms).
There should be a Christmas special upcoming, with Rhoda&Susan Mulkus (?) returning.

4 Likes

I also started this a couple of months ago. I’m up to season 10, and will probably finish the series next week.

I fast forward through that.

The deliveries are dolls.

There is indeed.

Mullucks

I binged From Scratch this weekend. A sad, but beautiful story.

3 Likes

I’ve watched this from day one, it was on after Downton Abbey on Sunday nights. There is an annual Christmas special on 12/25, set your dvr. Try to find the early seasons, they are fantastic, plus the Christmas specials.

4 Likes

Watching Wednesday on Netflix. It’s pretty enjoyable. The lead actress is quite compelling. And yes, it’s really a show for teens. But I’m a big fan of Vampire Diaries so….

2 Likes

I waited for the BritBox Black Friday sale ti resubscribe so I could watch Season 7 of Shetland. I thought it was the final season but just read yesterday that they have signed on an actor who will be taking the lead role and a new season is in the works!

Since I have BritBox for the next two months I’m watching all the shows that appeal to me. I’m on the final episode of Sherwood, which I am very much enjoying. I recognize several of the actors from other British shows I watch.

2 Likes

Ashley Jensen will head up the team as DI Ruth Calder. For the Yanks, she is best known for her role as Christina McKinney, seamstress turned fashion designer in Ugly Betty. Brits, or those who watch UK TV, may know her as Maggie Jacobs on the Ricky Gervais-created Extra.

In the middle of having Starz for free this week, so we’re binging Becoming Elizabeth. Thought it was based on a Philippa Gregory novel (like White Queen, etc), but it’s not, but similar style, English history from the perspective of female characters.

Very interesting—the period between the death of Henry VIII and the long reign of Elizabeth I was quite a mess. Sort of like a mini War of the Roses, with less bloodshed but just as much political manipulation.

Charles in the show is too good looking compared to the real one (sorry King C!) Maybe he is just too tan. :laughing:

I find it harder to watch the current and most recent seasons with people from “my” time (Charles Diana, William…)

6 Likes

I wasn’t loving it :frowning: (I watched a few episodes). Maybe because it seems so long since the last season? Maybe I will go back and rewatch the last season.

I didn’t start it yet. It has been a long time since the last season.

D2 and I started watching Only Murders In The Building. Nice short episodes. Easy watch. Not sure how they will get 2 seasons (and making a third?) out of it but we’ll see! I do love the cast that rallied around this effort by Steve Martin.

@RookieCollegeMom , I have made it through episode 6 at this point. I am reading Vulture recaps as I go and the reviewer is right on point with you about tv Charles being more handsome than real Charles. The reviewer says the voice is good, but the appearance throws her off a little. D & SIL are also watching and are a bit ahead of me. D says they don’t think this season is as good as previous seasons. My jury is still out, but knowing what history is for some of them does make it a bit sad to watch.

I liked Only Murders in the Building (watched both seasons)–I agree that there doesn’t appear to be enough material for a third season. Martin Short is great in this. Steve Martin is always good, but Selna Gomez??? Don’t think she adds much.

2 Likes

She was definitely like the odd man out with the cast!! She is fine and her role (so far as I’ve watched) doesn’t require a ton of acting/emotion….I wonder what the story was in recruiting her for the role??

1 Like

I just watched the episode of Better Things when her oldest daughter graduated from high school. OMG so good! Hulu, Season 2, episode 10. I am going to be so bummed when I finish the series.

2 Likes

My only thought was that she was there to attract a younger audience ??? Her acting was just odd, although I thought better in S2 than S1.

1 Like

“Bad Sisters”. So good! I rarely see it mentioned. It is good. Trust me. Apple TV.

5 Likes

They were filming Season 5 by my office about 6-8 weeks ago.

2 Likes

I know this is an ancient show, but I finished Parenthood tonight. Always hard to finish the last episode of a show I’ve watched for months to complete!
I got pretty attached to the show. I feel a little bad for ragging on Zeke - but I truly did not love his character a lot of the season - maybe that was intentional.
I was sort of disappointed that the final season, season 6 was only 13 episodes. I was expecting a longer season and then all of a sudden the season seemed to wrap up in 2 episodes! Wonder if the cast wanted to be done or what???
Have to say I don’t know what much of the cast has been up to since the series except for “Jake” - he actually grew up here and attended the undergrad my daughter attended so I have read about him on and off.

I’m watching a little Derrick Girks but am going to need a new, old series to start in 2023!!

3 Likes

If you have HBO Max - I just watched the first season (8 episodes, new 2022, and I hope it renews!) of The Big Brunch - brunch along with appetizers happen to be my favorite way to eat…this is a competition show, with the winner taking home $300k to launch their concept (they all have something different) - it was so refreshing to watch as the chefs all became very close - “family” they called themselves. No cutthroat stuff. It’s got some coarse language, so if that offends you, don’t watch! I grew up in the hospitality industry (front and back of house) so it was especially fascinating to me. And the food…omg! Yes please!

3 Likes