Binge watched tv shows

I was late in the Parenthood bandwagon as well, only watching it this year, thanks to suggestions on this thread. What a great show.

The 13 episode final season was NBC’s choice, not the casts. From what I read, there was some thought that the fifth season would be the last, and the show was not included in the annual upfronts. It wasn’t until mid-May that NBC announced the renewal.

2 Likes

Season 2 of Slow Horses is back on Apple+!! Gary Oldman is amazing.

4 Likes

I missed Season 1, but this weekend, Kristin Scott Thomas was on The Graham Norton Show and showed a clip. I’m definitely checking it out.

2 Likes

@skieurope - just wondering how do you watch The Graham Norton Show? It is the one show we miss since cutting the cable and doing all streaming.

That’s probably my favorite recent show. Gary Oldham is amazing. Great casting.

2 Likes

BBC iPlayer

Your knowledge is incredible! Do you moonlight (or vice versa) as a tv critic?? :wink:

3 Likes

I’m watching Last Tango in Halifax. I love Nicola Walker, but I think I’m getting a bit tired of her in angsty roles where her acting is very similar in each. I do like the show as a whole, every episode is a roller coaster. I also really like the actress that plays Caroline, who was in Happy Valley.

I watched one of her more recent shows, can’t remember the name, but it was the first name of her character. There was more humor in this one.

3 Likes

Annika

2 Likes

Not sure if these shows have been mentioned before, but we have enjoyed “Trying” on Apple TV+ (the main characters have great chemistry), “The Outlaws” on Amazon prime (Steven Merchant and Christopher Walken are particularly good) and “Acapulco” on Apple TV+ (this one I was a little slower to get into but really enjoyed it in the end; the 80s colors and nostalgia are front and center).

1 Like

not bingewatched yet bc it’s not out yet, but I’m looking forward to “Christmas Carole”, where Scrooge is a woman who’s the CEO of a Christmas decoration company.
This is the teaser: An Alternative Christmas Advert | Christmas Carole - YouTube

1 Like

Looking forward to watching Three Pines on Amazon Prime. A huge fan of Louise Penney’s Armand Gamache mysteries.

7 Likes

I started watching Parenthood when it was just about ending when it first aired - I was flipping channels and saw a few minutes of an episode with Ray Romano and wondered what the storyline was behind it. So I started watching at the beginning of the series. I ended up not really liking his storyline but loved the show.

My husband and I really enjoyed Trying (Apple+). It was running and heartwarming. I recommended it to my sister after we discussed our mutual love of “Ted Lasso”. Hubby and I also laughted a lot about The Outlaws (Amazon Prime, 2021). T

Typically we don’t binge watch a series… we spread them out and intermix, leaving the light hearted easy-watching shows like these for last show of the night.

I’ve added Acapulco to my Watchlist app :wink:

3 Likes

I was real surprised to see Ray R have a role in this show. Was unexpected for me. I think his role as Hank and his role in the family really blossomed. I loved him but thought he might be too tame for Sara!!

1 Like

We just started watching the first episode of Three Pines last night on Acorn. So far, so good.

As for the novels only (not TV shows), I prefer Ann Cleeves’s Vera to Louise Penny’s Armand. The two authors are friends. Louise was an established author before Ann started out.

1 Like

I liked the Ray R character and his realization about likely having Asperger’s. I did get a kick out of Sara trying to decided between a guy about 10 years older vs the other (the teacher) about 10 years younger.

1 Like

oooh me too!!! :heart_eyes:

thanks for white pines suggestion -

ive been watching white lotus on HBO. it’s a slow burn. curious to see the finale on sunday for season 2. anyone else?

Me. I’ve been binging this week. Season 1 I really liked. Season 2, not so much. But I’m only through 3 episodes. It was almost worth it for Theo James’ nude scene, until I learned it was a prosthetic. :rofl: