Binge watched tv shows

Binge watched season 3 of Jack Ryan on Prime. It was a classic Tom Clancy storyline. I really enjoyed it.

1 Like

Hub & I watched “The Recruit” - 1 season Netflix show about a new, young, CIA lawyer who gets into all kinds of international shenanigans. Actually well-written (w/preposterous elements of course) - interesting character development, some laugh-out-loud moments, and really engaging. We rarely like the same shows so this was almost a first, LOL.

5 Likes

I’m a big fan of the various Tom Clancy movies with the Jack Ryan character, so I/we finally got around to watching Season 1 of Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan with John Krasinski. Although it’s a bit of an adjustment for me from his role in The Office.

We’re looking forward to watching Season 2 and 3, which are already out on Amazon. So far, the show has filled in some of the holes and early career of the Jack Ryan character development.

4 Likes

HLN is having a West Wing Bingeathon. I don’t know when it started (I found it in Season 3, but had watched the first 2 seasons when they had a marathon around Thanksgiving).

I love this show.

3 Likes

Has anyone mentioned another British mystery thriller, the Capture?

BBC One - The Capture.

The lead actress in the first season is Holliday Grainger, from C.B. Strike. It has been thrilling for us esp. my hubby who enjoys the fact the plot is harder to guess (he is quite good figuring out whodunit and/or how).

It is also very timely with the current environment of disinformation. “Don’t believe what you’re seeing” is very intriguing.

If you have seen it, what’s your take?

1 Like

We finished “The Terminal List” (Amazon Prime, 8 episodes). We mainly watched it due to recommendation from friends. For us, it was too heavy in gun fights, conspiracy theory, vigilante payback. However there was some compelling storyline/mystery too. I just read that mostly critics gave negative reviews
 but viewers liked it. If you opt to watch it, be prepared to be confused along the way.

Thanks for “storm for Christmas” finished last night

. Your recommendation led me to it .

3 Likes

About halfway through latest season of The Crown

(hope this is not a spoiler, really don’t think so)

–

Agree with other opinions–it’s OK, not as good as the previous 4 seasons. Wish S5 was more than just a Princess Diana soap opera.

Opinions are not spoilers

2 Likes

Thanks @skieurope. I may be a bit uber-sensitive about this, as I have been pilloried for opinions that I did not consider spoilers, but others obviously did! I thought the Diana-centric aspect of the season might be tagged as a spoiler.

I also wished the season had covered a longer time span than it did. Leaves me wondering about the final season. Originally the producers had stated that they wanted to avoid current events, but since ERII’s story has been concluded, I wonder if the death of Philip, and her own passing will be intimated in some way.

While I’m spouting-------my opinions of Charles have flip-flopped. S1-S2 he was a sympathetic figure (episode about his prep school, and when he learned Welsh for the Prince of Wales ceremony). Then in S3-S4 he was quite a jerk. Now in S5, as he has matured, he seems a bit less of a jerk.

Interesting too how Charles views about being the king seem to have evolved.

LIked it, even though i found the premise(CIA lawyer ending up in espionage) unbelievable.

1 Like

We watched the first two episodes of The Recruit and are enjoying it so far.

4 Likes

Anyone watched Kaleidoscope on Netflix? DH and I binged yesterday - got totally hooked and didn’t want to stop!

1 Like

Happy Valley Season 3 just started!

1 Like

Is Happy Valley streaming, and if so where???

it’s on BBC iPlayer and this time they worked with AMC so it should soon be available in the US :slight_smile:
They uploaded this - the little musical gag at the very beginning made me chuckle

Thanks for letting us know. Can’t wait. Sarah Lancashire was excellent in the first two series.

I think a new series of Vera is coming soon, too.

3 Likes

Yay for Vera!!
The first episode was excellent. Very complex. Several new people are introduced organically, 2 of whom you can’t help but feel terrible for, and 1 who is a jerk at first sight but, in reality, turns out to be an “ordinary monster” (not a psychopath like Tommy Lee Royce, just your garden variety seemingly nice neighbor who really, really isn’t. Eww.)
Mild spoiler so read at your own peril:
Catherine is considering going out on a date with someone!! Perhaps as a joke but still.

1 Like

Have you seen Three Pines? From Louise Penny’s novel set in Canada. It is worth watching.

5 Likes