Binge watched tv shows

Sylvie annoys the heck out of me. ( I’m currently on episode 4 of Season 3 so if there’s something that might change my mind after all this time please don’t tell me.) I would watch a show about Mindy though. I love her character and think her back story would make a great series.

1 Like

The subtitles can be distracting at first. But after a while (at least if I’m watching a show/movie filmed in English), I’ve learned to watch the action just look at the bottom of the screen when there’s a word or phrase I could not decipher. Probably as my ear adjusts to accent, I look less at the text… but it’s nice to have it there.

Ha, sometimes for UK show hubby and I laugh to realize that we actually did hear it right but did not know the country-specific idiom. Methinks that happens most when watching “Endeavor”.

1 Like

We finished all three seasons of Jack Ryan last night. I really enjoyed it, but lots of location switching and going back in time, which made it a little difficult to keep up with. I’ve read the 4th season will be the last one, which stinks.

I’m going to try The Recruit next.

1 Like

Oh, we’ve been really enjoying “The Recruit” (Netflix, 8 episodes). It has some action/violence but not too bad. Mostly it is a sort-of spy story, with plenty of comedy and drama. There have been some funny things that hubby and I remember and talk about the next day.

2 Likes

I just watched the trailer for The Recruit and looks good to me. Appears to have all the elements that I like, spies, comedy, drama, action and violence.

If you like Jack Ryan, I highly recommend Slow Horses on Apple TV. There are two seasons - the first season was great and the second season that just came out is even better.

3 Likes

I binge watched the first two seasons of Jack Ryan and then switched to the first two episodes of the new season of Emily in Paris. First thought: Emily changed her outfits a lot more often than Jack. Second thought: can’t decide which had more improbable plot lines. Third thought: one had more cutting lines; the other had more actual cutting.

1 Like

I had gamma knife radiation at Tufts in Boston. My choices were 15 minutes of radiation or a 12 hour operation requiring 3 surgeons with a 4% mortality rate! I believe that is called a no-brainer.

Folks have varied results. A woman I used to work with ended up with only minor hearing loss but much more balance loss than me, and she has a bit of facial paralysis. I lost a decent amount of balance, all of my hearing on the affected side, but no facial paralysis.

When this happened in the late 80’s what was being touted was BAHA–bone-anchored hearing aid. This would carry the sound through the skull to my good ear. A screw would be implanted into my skull, and an electronic receiver wouls snap onto the screw.

The inventors made the mistake of putting “hearing aid” into the name of their device, so insurances used that as an excuse not to pay for this device and procedure. It is not a conventional hearing aid, but an implant into bone tissue! So I have lived 30+ years with this hearing disability.

Sorry for the tangent from the topic of this thread—I seldom “meet up” with fellow acoustic neuroma patients.

1 Like

For fans of Father Brown, season 10 launched today on BBC. I have no idea when it will come to Britbox. I did not keep up with speculation during the hiatus, so was surprised to see some characters written off.

2 Likes

Yes, sorry all for the tangent, we will be done. They made great strides in the 20 years between our procedures, although they still do the gamma knife…,but typically much more than the 15 minutes. But I think I remember there was a greater chance of hearing loss. You must have had a larger tumor.

I still have balancing issues and sometimes veer to the right when walking. I get wonky-head, mainly due to the change in barometric pressure and have to take 5 mg of diazepam. May go for months without it, then 2 weeks of taking it. I was terrified…I mean terrified of facial paralysis and feel so very lucky.

After the radiation, a year went by then the tumor swelled before necrosis if you recall. That was a terrible year. I lost all hearing one morning, totally deaf. I called Stanford at 3 am their time and they put me on an extremely high dosage of steroids, which thankfully brought it back, it that’s where I did lose some high pitched hearing that never really recovered. I’d get so dizzy at work, I’d almost faint. Bad time.

We are very lucky. 50 years ago it would have been a death sentence as the tumor kept pressing against the brain.

1 Like

I think Reservation Dogs might be more appealing to those that have lived near NA communities or have an good understanding of the culture. Its kind of similar to Napoleon Dynamite and the Mormon references in it that some people probably didn’t catch.

As for Derry girls, my daughter hated it bc of the overacting of the main character and I found it kind of frenetic the first few episodes. I liked it more and more with each episode though. My husband and older daughter loved it from the beginning.

I felt Gilmore Girls to be the same, the conversations were way too fast and it annoyed me a lot sometimes, but I stuck with it. I didn’t watch the reboot episodes after I read spoilers about Lorelei and Luke. Just knowing how that part of the story ended was enough for me.

My wife who is British is appalled at the accents on most ITV/BBC productions. When it is intentional like on Vera, she understands. But for Endeavour, it drives her crazy. She has to ask me what they said!

Half the battle with Endeavour is understanding all the Oxford “slang”. When a character vanished during the “long vac”, that means it happened in July, August & September which is the “long vacation” between the end of Trinity term in one academic year and the start of Michaelmas term in the next academic year. With our oldest having spent four years there, we picked up a lot. Also recognize a lot of the locations.

I wear over the ear (rather than on top or in) noise canceling headphones when I fly and also take them when I go to live theater performances - they’re a lifesaver - I have these…(oh they’re on sale!) Sony MDRZX110NC Noise Cancelling Headphones, Black https://a.co/d/30niZT6

I must read a lot of books set/written in England, because I knew what the “long vac” was as soon as you wrote it.

3 Likes

I am having a hard time with The Recruit. I thought it was going to be more realistic. It is a little lighter weight but that is ok. But it just seems too unrealistic - if you worked for the CIA, I don’t think you and your co-worker would be sitting on a commercial plane talking about cases. Or telling people you worked for the CIA.

I like the main character and his boss, but the two co-workers? I am not sure if it is the characters or the writing or the acting or what. The roommates do nothing for me either.

I will give it a little more time - sometimes it takes time for the cast to meld, etc.

1 Like

They do have funny slang. Like “cuppa” for “cup of coffee.”

“Cuppa” is fairly universal in the UK; it’s not regional, and almost always means tea

4 Likes

Oh, good to know.

Oh, I’ll agree that “The Recruit” is not very realistic on CIA stuff. (the same for many shows and movies we watch… I often joke, “we’ll Iron Man is a bit far fetched too”). We finished it and are hoping there will be a Season 2.

At some points it reminded me a bit of the “My Spy” comedy movie we enjoyed, where a kid gets involved in they spying fun.

I’ve watched the 3 episodes so far of The Recruit. “Fanciful” is the word I keep thinking about it. How is this guy not dead yet? :grinning:

And all the spies look like they’re young models.

2 Likes