Binge watched tv shows

Last week, I was listening to NPR about TV shows and the reviewer talked about a new TV show on the Peacock channel called Poker Face.

My ears perked up when he said the show was created by the writer and director of Knives Out. He went on to say that the show as an element of Columbo (starring Peter Falk), one of my favorite detective shows re. how to catch the bad guy. The reviewer said it is a smart whodunnit show with great acting.

Of course, we had to check it out. Two episodes in, it is as good as advertised. If you like this type of detective show, I think you should check Poker Face out.

8 Likes

We finally got on the White Lotus bandwagon and binged both seasons in the last couple of weeks. Lots of stuff to discuss after each season - I felt like the series really commented on classism, sexism, racism in many ways. Plus beautiful scenery :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for this review. D and I love Natasha Lyonne and are looking forward to watching this together.

1 Like

You are welcome. We usually watch tv shows without our D because the crime/detective shows we like are often too gruesome for her faint heart.

Poker Face will one of the shows she will be willing to watch. It is a smart show without blood and gore.

By the way, if you and your D want to watch a light hearted detective show, I suggest Brokenwood Mysteries, a New Zealand detective drama. We call it a New Zealandā€™s Midsomer Murders.

2 Likes

Thanks for the Brokenwood Mysteries recommendation. I am adding it my To Watch list though I am not sure D will be that interested. Though I adore mysteries, sheā€™ll be watching Poker Face for Natasha.

1 Like

My 21 year old daughter is the same way, but, if Iā€™m watching something like criminal minds and she sees it, she canā€™t look away. She will slowly sit down, with a look of horror on her face, and watch until she canā€™t take it anymore.

2 Likes

Lol. Thatā€™s what why I watch now everything on my iPad. The screen is plenty big enough to get involved in any story without noticing the screen size and no ā€œ creepersā€ as I call those (ok my husband) who feel the need to interject themselves into what Iā€™m watching. I donā€™t wanna see your reaction to whateverā€™s going on.

4 Likes

Iā€™m a big iPad watcher, my husband can watch his Bigfoot conspiracy shows and I can watch call the midwife, in the same room.

6 Likes

Thanks for rec. enjoyed it, director Rian Johnsonā€™ s style distinct, as is Natashaā€™s accent, which could use some softening.

1 Like

Yes, Natashaā€™s voice can be unbearable at times. Otherwise, everything else is excellent.

4 Likes

iā€™m trying to like Poker Face, but it reminds me a bit too much of the old Hulk show for some reason. I am fascinated by her hair though. itā€™s such a perfect hot mess. Imagine all the time stylists are spending on getting it to look so incredibly grungy like that!

I just binge watched The Leftovers. Loved it! I really never thought of Justin Theroux as more than Jennifer Anistonā€™s ex, but his performance was superb. Well acted by the entire cast. I was sorry when it was over, but an excellent series finale.

1 Like

Watched one episode of Poker Face. Weā€™re always taken aback by crudeness when we donā€™t expect itā€“some here described it as a light bloodless whodunit. About 2/3 of the way through though, we were hookedā€“looking forward to Charlie getting out of Vegas and helping people along the road.

1 Like

I enjoyed season 1 more than season 2. I loved Murray Bartlett as Armond. I just watched his wonderful performance the third episode of The Last of Us.

My ā€œa light, bloodless whodunnitā€ comment was based on my experience watching tons of crime dramas.

Some shows like Harrow (an Australian show) or Cardinal (a Canadian show) are bloodied and gruesome. So, Poker Face is ā€œbloodlessā€ by comparison :smile:

As for crudeness if you meant language, we donā€™t mind characters swearing esp. when suitable to their characters. (We donā€™t swear ourselves).

I love Derry Girls but some posters here found the language too crude esp. Michelleā€™s character. She was a foul mouth and Iā€™m OK with it.

2 Likes

Iā€™m assuming you both wear earphones? Iā€™d like to suggest that, but I think H would object. I do sometimes ask him to use them, but havenā€™t done so at the same time. And he wouldnā€™t care if I did or not, because heā€™s partially deaf and can tune things out. I just donā€™t watch something if he is. Or I negotiate a common choice and watch my things when heā€™s not home.

1 Like

Not binge-able yet, but if you have HBO, The Last of Us is great so far (3 episodes in). Episode 3 is amazing, a mini-movie. It wrecked me.

I know; I know. Another post-apocalyptic show? I really hope Episode 3 is not an anomaly.

7 Likes

I didnā€™t mind the swearing but didnā€™t need the photos of male anatomy on the guyā€™s phone.
I loved Derry Girls as well. Dear wife is less tolerant of language than I am, however, so I watch my mouth when sheā€™s around!

I watched the first episode and stopped before it was over. I was a big Walking Dead fan and am tired of the genre. Plus, these zombies were stressing me out. But I heard about the 3rd one and continued. Still didnā€™t like the rest of episode 1 or 2 (I think the dialogue is really poor and the storyline is just not grabbing me).

The 3rd episode blew me away! I told DS, who is also watching, to just let me know if any other episodes are as good as this one then Iā€™ll watch.

2 Likes

I was a big fan of TWD too (or at least the first four or five seasons, before it jumped the shark), but I have been enjoying the Last of Us. I still havenā€™t seen episode 3, now I am really looking forward to it.

3 Likes