Binge watched tv shows

I have just started and am enjoying Dear Edward on Apple TV+. Quite sad (at least initially), but well written and well acted. It is by the same creator as Friday Night Lights and Parenthood (two of my all time favorites). He also created As We See It. Another great show if you haven’t seen it. Unfortunately Amazon canceled it after one season.

In real life, Jason Katims (the creator) has a son who is on the spectrum (the character Max Braverman on Parenthood is loosely based on him). As We See It focuses on three adult roommates that are on the spectrum and are learning how to navigate adulthood and all that comes with it. Many of the actors, writers and crew members identify as neurodiverse, including the three main actors. Sosie Bacon plays their shared aid and is excellent in this role.

2 Likes

I just started watching CB Strike. Liking it and the format. a few episodes for each plot series.

3 Likes

I’m watching Le Bazar de la Charité. I’m finding it tough sledding - every episode is so grim. I hope it ends happy. Ha, but it’s French, so it probably won’t. We’ve noticed that about French productions.

This is season 5

I loved As We See It. I also loved the character of Max Braverman. Max Burkholder who plays him also played Jack, Rob Lowe’s character son on Brothers and Sisters. And real life Max also has Asperger’s.

2 Likes

I saw it said Season 5 but somehow, I thought I only saw two seasons. Looking up wiki, I saw them all. Season 2 and 3 are so short. Somehow, they all blended in my brain.

Nicely done and I like it.

I don’t know whether that’s the right place to ask, but…
Are there shows that take place (or appear to take place, with shots of famous landmarks) in DC or NYC? preferably not too grim, can include specific neighborhoods (ie., Foggy Bottom, Harlem, Brooklyn, South Manhattan…)
Trying to find ideas for kids who’ve returned from either one and have some nostalgia… But all I’ve come up with for DC is the older show “Bones” and for NYC “Dash&Lily’s Book of Dares” + Marrvelous Mrs.Maisel, and I’m SURE I’m missing quite a lot, especially for NYC.
I also thought of Law&Order SVU but not sure I’d show that to NYC-nostalgic young adults.

Probably too gruesome, but all 3 law and order shows (L&O: Organized Crime is mostly set in Queens), FBI, and Blue Bloods are filmed in NYC. As is The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, but obviously not NYC of today.

Others are set in NYC, but filmed in California.

Ncis is set in DC, but filmed in California.

2 Likes

Thanks!
Would someone watching NCIS “feel” that they’re watching DC?
I get that a lot is filmed on sets so it’d be for exterior shots and the “location” shots mostly.
I remember how native Chicagoans and New Yorkers could both tell The Good Wife was shot in NYC for instance, or how many people feel Vancouve is masquerading as whatever US town.

Aside from the aerial views, I’d have to say no. Admittedly, most scenes outside NCIS HQ are in “Virginia” or “Maryland” But the DC street scenes are pretty obvious a studio lot.

3 Likes

First thing that came to mind was the X-files. :grinning:

2 Likes

DC–West Wing

2 Likes

NYC - White Collar?

2 Likes

Shameless–South Side of Chicago. The scenes outside that show the homes in the neighborhood are real houses on the South Side; the Gallagher house (the outside anyway) is a real home.

2 Likes

NYC - Girls. The first few seasons are very NYC/Brooklyn centric. Some of the later seasons are more diverse in location but the main characters are still very New Yorkish.

I just watched Stolen Youth, about the father of the Sarah Lawrence student who started a cult. Yikes, hard to see. I’m so glad he will be in prison the rest of his life. No chance of parole. What an evil monster.

We are loving Poker Face (I’m a huge Colombo fan and Natasha fan).

6 Likes

Mentioned earlier this week that I had started Derry Girls based on recommendations from this thread. Finished it last night and I think it’s my favorite show since Ted Lasso (anxiously awaiting season 3). My kids sometimes ask me what I am still doing on CC - well, this! Getting great recommendations and opinions on things that matter to me in the Parent Cafe :heart:

16 Likes

YOU has a new season #3. Love this series.

3 Likes

Derry Girls was sort of one of those memorable, impressionable shows. I mean it was funny and silly at times but the whole of it was so much more than that.

6 Likes