Binge watched tv shows

Thanks for the podcast tip. I’m not that big of a podcast listener (mainly just on roadtrips), but that sounds worthy. I’ll tell my husband about it for sure. He listens to more than I do.

2 Likes

I am not a big podcast listener myself. I would normally much rather read something than listen to it (I don’t know how people can deal with audio books. They are a big no for me). But this Podcast was sooo interesting. One of the very few I listen to.

4 Likes

I never knew this, thanks for sharing. The Americans is one of my favorite shows, maybe I should watch it again and listen to the recaps.

I also agree with @happy1…one of the best final episodes ever. I don’t think I breathed for the pivotal scene that was something like 13 minutes long!

5 Likes

I love, love, love The Americans! One of the best shows of all time.

6 Likes

Just piling on the say The Americans was wonderful. Just perfection.

3 Likes

We just finished watching the first episode of “This is going to hurt” and it is hilarious. A British
show about an OB/GYN. The first episode is free on Amazon Prime and you can get a 7 day free trial at AMC+ where it is streaming.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say hilarious… there’s humour in it but it feels terrible, doesn’t it? It’s not Scrubs.
In my view, it’s a show that depicts what happens when healthcare, once a proudly funded public service, is underfunded, doctors and nurses get overworked, no one can do their job the way they want because they’re put in a position when everything loses meaning.
More like “despair humor”?
Probably an excellent show to show any aspiring doctor to cure them of primetime TV “hospital” shows :frowning:

My only problem with The Americans is that re-watch will never have the same impact as the first time. Ok, I know that’s true for most shows but I mostly re-watch sitcoms and can re-laugh because I’ve forgotten the jokes. But the level of stress and anxiety I felt streaming it the first time (weird, because these people were SOVIET SPIES) won’t ever be repeated the same way.

3 Likes

The stress was real! Haven’t experienced that with any other shows. Maybe a few movies, like Free Solo (and I even knew the outcome on that)

4 Likes

Another show where the stress and tension was super high is The Night Manager. Great show and there were parts I was so tense even though though I was pretty sure they weren’t going to off the lead character, lol.

2 Likes

You’re right, I had forgotten about that show. There was that underlying stress/perceived threat for all 6 or 8 episodes. Highly recommend that short series too, with Hugh Laurie, Tom Hiddleston, Elizabeth Debicki…a strong cast.

1 Like

Just finished the four seasons of Fauda. My wife and I enjoyed the acting as well as perspective of Middle East tensions. I just finished season one of Ganglands based in Brussels. Not the best but solid action with twists with only six episodes.

1 Like

We enjoyed Fauda as well. My H became so obsessed with those little glasses that the men drank their espresso from that he went out and bought a set. And he doesn’t even drink espresso!

1 Like

If you enjoyed Derry Girls (H & I loved it), try to see the holiday special episode of the Great British Bake-Off in which the cast competes. It was so much fun.

I rarely watch rom-com, but there’s a Japanese show on Netflix based on a manga series that has captured both H and me: The Full-Time Wife Escapist. There’s only one season on Netflix, I think it aired in Japan in 2016, but I read that the leads produced a holiday special in 2020 and am hoping Netflix will have it, too.

A more serious but also entertaining Japanese show is Midnight Diner. Just hearing the intro music I find myself relaxing. We’ve had some meandering conversations speculating about various recurring characters. It’s another one that H enjoys as well, which surprised me since he’s more into zombie and post-apocalyptic shows.

4 Likes

Last night we enjoyed the first two episodes The Law According to Lidia Poët (Netflix). Thanks for the recommendation. It was surprising to have an 1880s story with more current soundtrack (and more nudity than expected)… but we liked it. Unlike some shows, the storyline/mystery was pretty easy to follow.

1 Like

I’m having fun watching Grace and Frankie. :joy:

10 Likes

I’ve been watching call the midwife season 12 on the daily motion app instead of waiting for it to drop in the states next month, it’s my favorite show ever.

6 Likes

I was sad, but not surprised, to read today’s casting announcement. Kept vague for those who don’t want spoilers.

4 Likes

I have the last one to go, I’ve heard to have my tissues handy, which of course I always do since I’ve cried every single episode since I started watching it back when it first aired (right after downton abbey Sunday nights).

2 Likes

I also have yet to watch last night’s episode

2 Likes