Binge watched tv shows

I will finish the recently released season of Orange is the New Black tonight. I really liked it.

Bingeing on Flipping Out.

I’m binging movies and documentaries as I’m doing some summer purging. Watched Spotlight, The Butler, both movies I missed at the theater but very much wanted to see. Watched the Team Foxcatcher documentary. Highly recommend. And now I’m doing some thrillers that I don’t remember if they made it to theater or not. One was very good, a Stephen King movie with Joan Allen and Anthony LaPaglia called The Good Marriage. Also watched All Good Things, with Kirsten Dunst and Ryan Gosling. Currently watching Suspect Zero, with Ben Kingsley and Aaron Eckhardt. Son had told me he clicked on horror movies and watched Hush, and really enjoyed it. Not a slasher movie. I’m hoping they bring the Criminal Minds spinoffs to Netflix, as I caught an episode on Ion television this morning of the spinoff with Forest Whitaker and really liked it. Even though I watch LOSVU all day long, I decided to hit the Netflix and actually found some episodes I’ve never seen. Husband replaced my DVD recorder with a Blu Ray that allows me to get Netflix in that room, so I can binge when I get to purging that room.

I would love to watch Ray Donovan. It’s not on Netflix and we don’t get Showtime. Will it come to Netflix, and will Homeland as well, or do we have to buy the DVDs if we don’t have Showtime? We bought the DVDs for Homeland for the first few seasons, but the boys lost interest. I still want to watch it. And I believe Liev Schreiber is in Ray Donovan? If so, I think I’ll like it, because I’ve enjoyed his acting in everything I’ve seen him in.

It seems to be DVD on Netflix. http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Ray-Donovan/70245234

If you have either Hulu or Amazon Prime, you can add on a subscription to Showtime for $8.99/month and then cancel it at any time after you’ve watched what you want to. That’s how we’ve seen both Ray Donovan and Homeland.

Or try your public library. I get lots of DVDs from mine and the system of which it’s a part.

We are watching Ray Donovan right now - checked it out from our library. Very good so far.

I have finally gotten around to watching Sense8, which my kid has been pushing for the past year. I am ambivalent – not “eh” ambivalent, but strong positive and negative feelings. It’s just about the most visually beautiful show I have ever seen, a new benchmark for TV. I love the idea of an ensemble show that spans the globe and gives equal weight (sort of) to eight characters only two of whom are American (but five are white, and all are gorgeous). Some of the characters’ story lines are compelling. But. The central premise is inherently silly – eight people who suddenly can experience each other’s feelings, can talk and touch and even you-know-what from wherever they are around the world, and even sort of take over each other’s bodies to help one another out of a jam. And the development of it gets sillier and sillier, almost to the point of being intolerable. Every cliche of the modern “superior being” meme comes into play: we hear a lot about evolution, shadowy military-industrial complex efforts to suppress or exploit the people with extraordinary powers, the inherent evil of corporations and mainstream professionals, etc. Generally, that’s when I turn off the show, but this one is so great to watch that I haven’t.

Hmmmmm…

@JHS, sounds like Sense8 takes a real issue and goes a little crazy.

http://www.utne.com/mind-and-body/invisibilia-podcast-the-woman-who-feels-everything.aspx

@dstark, that sounds fascinating! As a long-time reader of dearly departed Oliver Sacks, I will check it out.

@dstark : Yes, Sense8 would be exactly the same, if you could feel someone get hit while you were in Seoul and he was in Nairobi,

I love dark mysteries and crime dramas. I was looking for something new and found an amazingly comprehensive list with many shows that were new to me. I can’t link it here, but you can find it by searching, “best-of-tv-murder-mysteries-to-binge-watch-now-2016-edition” and following the link to the “brightest young things” site.

Thanks @Anxiousmom1. That might keep some on deck for me.

Not sure if it’s on your list, @Anxiousmom1, but I just started watching “Thirteen” on BBC America, and it fits that description really well. Kind of in the same vein as “Broadchurch.”

http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/thirteen

I’ll check it out @LucieTheLakie…Thanks for the heads up.

@Montegut Yes! Liev Schreiber IS Ray Donovan. :slight_smile: It’s a great series, although dark. Ray never has a good day. Wonderful ensemble cast through the seasons.

Marcella is a quality addition to the British noir detective genre. Currently streaming on Netflix, definitely worth the binge.

Watched episode 1 of “Night of” – a new 7-part series on HBO. Totally binge-worthy, but at first will be offered one episode per week. For a binger, that’s slow torture, but the show may be worth it.

Yay, I currently have free HBO thru August.