Binge watched tv shows

Last night in episode 10 (I believe), there was foul play that I believe was borrowed from an episode of Columbo, which made me happy!

I finished Jane the Virgin and I really liked it. I also liked that I knew it was 5 seasons and thus when I started to lose interest in the middle of season 3 I powered through and enjoyed the rest. I think if it would have been more seasons or still a live, week to week show I would have quit. It is, after all, a soap opera (telenovela) and is designed to go on and on.

Iā€™ve only watched season 1 but I love Yellowjackets and tolerate (sometimes) Lost. I havenā€™t heard of From though.

2 Likes

From is on Epix. Season 2 premiers later this month. Itā€™s what you might expect if Stephen King was a primary writer on Lost instead of JJ Abrams. The story follows a family who gets lost on a road trip and ends up in an a small town that has seen better days, with unique residents and unique rules. They soon discover that there is seemingly no exit from the town and nocturnal creatures hunt the residents. You learn about the unique history of the town and how the residents survive, thrive, or attempt to live a small town life. Towards the end of 1st season, they start to unravel more about where they actually are and what the town is.

As I write this, I realize, the description sounds more like Wayward Pines or The Promised Neverland than Lost. However, From is clearly trying to be Lost, more so than Yellowjackets. For example, they cast Harold Perrineau as the sheriff and leader of one of the 2 factions (the faction trying to explore/escape), who played Michael on Lost. They also hired Lost alumni as directors/producers. They have a convoluted series of many different mysteries, like Lost, more so than Yellowjackets. I suspect the show is going to be better at presenting an intriguing story than it will be at presenting a satisfying resolution to the many unanswered questions, like Lost.

3 Likes

You got me with the Stephen king reference, watched two episodes last night, I like it.

Fauda - although it can be a bit bloody and gruesome. I also enjoyed Night Agent on Netflix.

2 Likes

Just finished Katla (Netflix- Icelandic)- could only take one episode a night every few nights. Sci fi is just not my genre. But, it did have a point that was interesting.

2 Likes

The show resembles some of Stephen Kingā€™s work, such as Desperation. Stephen King also is a fan of the show. He wrote the following on his twitter:

I just saw the first episode of FROM (Epix, premiering 2/20). I was absolutely riveted. True edge-of-your-seat stuff, believable and scary as hell.

Iā€™m looking forward to the 2nd season in 2 weeks. The season 1 finale left 4 different major cliffhangers, which Iā€™ll avoid to discussing to reveal spoilers. I like how there are multiple fronts like this. Itā€™s like Stranger Things in this aspect ā€“ different characters/character groups have their own investigation and are learning different pieces of the puzzle that eventually come together.

Among he discussed Lost-like shows, From has my favorite intro sequence, by far which is at FROM Episode 1 Opening Sequence | Check out the opening sequence of Episode 1 of FROM featuring Que Sera Sera by PIXIES. New episodes air Sunday on EPIX at 9/8c. | By FROM on MGM+ | Facebook .

1 Like

tell you what; Iā€™m ready for a good series . . but three lately i couldnt even get through the first episodes. including huluā€™s tiny beautiful things, HBOā€™s And just like that (new sex and city) and something else i cant even remember! help!

Do you have Prime. We loved The Marvelous Ms Maisel. (cruder than expected for a 1950s/60s show but really funny). In anticipation of the upcoming new season, we just rewatched the last two episodes,

2 Likes

i do have prime; and Iā€™ve not seen that series. Thanks. I think iā€™ll try it

2 Likes

Iā€™m enjoying New Tricks, a British police show from about a decade ago. It was recommended by someone on this thread. Itā€™s about a female police detective who fell from grace and was assigned a cold case squad made up of three retired police detectives. Itā€™s funny and quirky. I also have developed a girl crush on the female lead, Amanda Redman. Sheā€™s gorgeous!

2 Likes

My husband and I intended to watch one episode of Beef today on Netflix- I wanted to give it a shot because Iā€™m a huge A24 fan. He was just along for the ride. We ended up watching all ten episodes in between items on our to-do list. It is just so good!

4 Likes

Iā€™ll have to try Beef - I love Ali Wong!

2 Likes

I think that was my recommendationā€“glad youā€™re enjoying it! We have completed the first two seasons. The cast starts changing over (ala MAS*H) after about 5 seasons or soā€“hope the newbies are as good as the originals. And we like that there are 12 seasons, 100+ episodes.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation! I was looking at the episode thumbnails, and Iā€™m glad to see that my girl crush hangs in there til the end!

If you try Mrs Maisel, you may need more than one episode to decide. We stuck it out based on rave review from friendsā€¦. glad we did.

1 Like

It took all of one episode to get me hooked. I was a late convert, and only started watching because of this thread. But yes, if a viewer doesnā€™t get it after the first episode, stick it out. It really is a brilliant show

4 Likes

And Mrs. Maiselā€™s clothes are to die for.

6 Likes

And the apartment!

3 Likes