Binge watched tv shows

I’ve now gotten through three episodes of The Diplomat and have to agree with a comment I saw on my tv boards:

This show is preposterous! And I am here for it!

4 Likes

Speaking of preposterous- I am all-in on Mrs Davis on Peacock. It’s gonzo and just so out there, and I’m absolutely loving it.

The Diplomat, Keri Russell, is great, husband agrees it was so good, quick binge for both of us, and many friends now,

1 Like

Seema aunty is back!

4 Likes

I love Indian Matchmaking! Such a fun feel good show.

We also started watching Jury Duty on Prime with our kids last night. We all thought it was pretty funny.

“It follows the workings of an American jury trial through the eyes of Ronald Gladden, a juror who is unaware the entire case is fake. Everyone except him is an actor, and everything that happens is carefully planned”.

2 Likes

Thank you for the recommendation, we watch a lot of nature documentaries, I LOVED meerkat manor, and until last night has no idea that chimpanzees were Italian Americans from the NYC tristate area! Loving it.

I’m not getting your joke. Is it because of their alliances they make?

Currently in the middle of “The Americans”. I must be in the minority – LOVE the show, but NOT Keri Russell. Her performance feels lukewarm, typically with little emotion. Perhaps that may be part of her character. Is the Diplomat any better?

I’m also driving DH crazy because I’m forever pointing out each scene (about 99% of them) in which her hair is perfectly brushed to the front of her left side only – as if she were posing for a model shoot. It is always exactly the same.

I am not a huge Keri Russell fan either, but the Americans is one of my favorite shows ever. I do think the lack of emotion in her role in that show is a driving force of her character. She has a job to do, and takes it extremely seriously.

I did binge the Diplomat. It’s nothing close to the Americans, but I still liked it. Her hair is almost always a mess in this show, to the point of being distracting (to those in her orbit on the show and the viewer). As mainelonghorn mentioned above, I also thought it must have taken them some effort to make her hair look messy, lol. With that said, she does have some emotional outbursts in the Diplomat, but still wouldn’t say her character is infused with overwhelming amounts of emotion.

2 Likes

It was based on the first episode, with the alpha male who plans a manly quest because he feels like he needs to maintain his leadership position, and the females getting a break from “wifely duties” when the males leave. Gave me a sopranos vibe.

1 Like

I think that is the nature of her character, the ice cold instrument of the Soviet KBG to contrast with the Phillip character who clearly has doubts about aspects of the Soviet Union. Part of the greatness of the show is those conflicting dynamics between them, both as husband/wife and partners in espionage.

6 Likes

Agree completely. In one of The Americans podcasts they had on the guy who Philip was VERY loosely based on. His cover job was working for IBM. The thing was he absolutely loved that job. Loved the challenge. Loved the camaraderie of his co workers. Loved the cafeteria and the nice offices. In short, it made him fall in love with the USA and out of love with the USSR.

4 Likes

Her hair on the side drove me crazy, too.

1 Like

I’m assuming he defected?

Won’t give spoilers but IMO The Americans had one of the best (and most poignant) series finales I’ve seen.

6 Likes

Watching Seema Aunty (Indian Matchmaker) and also The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

I also watched a Korean series, Crash Landing on You- which I really enjoyed.

1 Like

we just finished Beef last night (we watched 2 eps a night, except last night we watched 4) - I still need to process it to decide if I “liked” it or not. Ali Wong is an incredible actress, something I wasn’t aware of.

2 Likes

I don’t know if anyone is watching From, but we watched season 1 on Amazon prime video, and now it says free one week trial? Is there yet another streaming service I need to subscribe to (because it’s getting a bit ridiculous here).

1 Like

It’s on MGM+ in real time. It’s part of our Comcast line-up, but otherwise I think you have to pay for it.

1 Like

Yes. His neighbor before he defected was an FBI agent. They would golf together!