Binge watched tv shows

We don’t exactly binge, but we watched The West Wing a year or two ago. (Scary nothing has changed!) And now we are watching The Newsroom another Alan Sorkin show. Not quite as good, but still smart and topical.

4 Likes

My recent college grad son is home for the summer and this morning he told me one of his friends had started watching Ted Lasso and she thought he might like it. So I re-watched the first three episodes with him today. So many connections to the series finale. And fun to watch with him not knowing how the characters evolved.

6 Likes

I cancelled my Apple TV today before it renews next Thursday. I have until next Wednesday to watch my favorite episodes again, though I know I will likely add it back and rewatch some TL again at some future point when The Morning Show becomes available again. I have been listening to Ed Sheeran’s “A Beautiful Game” (video background song that sends them all to tears) and Cat Steven’s “Father & Son” over last night & today after re-watching the finale. I know they are teasing a possible future for the show and I would watch in a heartbeat, but I think it ended so perfectly that anything more will be a stretch.

2 Likes

For those streaming experts, what do you know about starting/cancelling different streaming services? For instance above, cancelling Apple TV. Can you sign back up in 2 months - for a month or two? Can you re-up and cancel as frequently as you like? See other thread for my angst with Netflix right now….

1 Like

I originally got a one year subscription to Apple TV+ when I purchased my laptop. Cancelled after a year and then added back for 2 months when season 2 of TL aired; cancelled upon completion of that and the added again this March. Had Disney+ for pandemic summer to see Hamilton, then cancelled. Added again to see Get Back (Beatles doc), then cancelled.

Skimmed an article somewhere over the last few days about how this practice of people adding/cancelling is the new norm, but is not a good business model for streamers. I know they got me this time when I caved in and added Apple TV back on day the first episode of Ted Lasso became available, but for season 2 I waited until they had aired 8 or 9 episodes and added for just a month or two. Very few shows are as good as Ted Lasso that would merit adding for more than a binge month or two at most.

Got an email from Comcast yesterday that they are going to stop offering Peacock free on 6/26. They will now make it $3.99/month for a year and then charge regular price (whatever that is). I rarely watch Peacock and have no intention of paying for it. I think they are trying to restructure and aim for more profits with Summer Olympics coverage in Paris next July.

2 Likes

Have finished first season of Lasso. I am so, so smitten. The writing is just incredibly good–especially all the asides and random comments conversations. Excellent characters. I have laughed my head off, and cried several times. Can’t wait to start season two.

5 Likes

Ruff, ruff, ruff, ruff, ruff…

1 Like

I never watched West Wing when it was on and my daughter and I binge watched it during the pandemic. Same with Justified–I watched Seasons 1-6 this year. I read there’s a new series with US Marshall Rylan Givens (the main character) that’s called Justified: City Primeval. It takes place 15 years after Rylan leaves Kentucky. He’s still a US Marshall, but based in Miami and raising (part-time) a teenage daughter. It comes out in July.

2 Likes

We have never cashed in any of the Comcast “rewards” we have supposedly earned. Got an email a couple of days ago that stated that as “platinum” reward members (whatever the heck that means!), we will be able to continue to get Peacock for free after June 26th.

2 Likes

My husband and I loved Justified! I’m really looking forward to the new series–I really like Timothy Olyphant.

1 Like

Looked it up. It’s the “International CoC” that’s the worst.

I complained to the campus chaplain but she said since it’s a public campus there was not much she could do.

1 Like

For anyone interested in spy dramas, I’m currently watching Spy/Master on Max, set behind the Iron Curtain during the Cold War. I’m only 2 episodes in (out of 6, but only 5 have dropped) and am really enjoying it.

Fair warning - it’s mostly in Romanian, except for the scenes in Germany which are in English and German.

I just finished Schmicago on Apple, I’m a sucker for musicals and loved it.

2 Likes

Have you seen Crazy Ex-girlfriend? Netflix.

2 Likes

No I haven’t, I’ll check it out.

1 Like

Apple TV - Drops of God, not about religion, unless wine is sacred to you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

On Netflix, a documentary called Dogs. I only saw the first story which is about Butler Blue, the Butler University mascot. OMG, this is the greatest recruiting film of all time. I’d go to Butler just to see the cutest bulldog! Everyone will want one.

He’s no Ralphie the Buffalo (CU) but a very close second. So stinkin’ cute.

4 Likes

I loved that show!

1 Like

I got to tour Butler after my nephew passed away. His professors and friends were so kind. I was really impressed with the school. I also liked the show about dogs!

Just finished Jury Duty on Amazon and Freevee. Light, funny 30 minute episodes. The final episode on how they pulled it off and all the behind the scenes was interesting and shows how the whole concept was close several times to not working.

4 Likes