Binge watched tv shows

Did anyone watch The Upshaws on Netflix? I watched an episode out of boredom (and I like Kim Fields and Wanda Sykes) and ended up watching the entire series - while some of the series was not of interest to me, overall I found myself liking the family, and I actually look forward to the next season as (like all good shows) there was a cliffhanger ending…

H and I watched two seasons of Suits and then grew tired of it. (We are not lawyers LOL)

1 Like

Watched the last Ted Lasso tonight. So long, farewell…. :wink:

4 Likes

I just started The Sex Lives of College Girls. Aside from the fact that the four of them are skinny, I see some truth there, even as someone who started college in 1966. And lots and lots of episodes, yay!

2 Likes

Oh… that was the one had some scenes filmed at Vassar, in my hometown.

3 Likes

My daughter is getting married in Poughkeepsie in November!

4 Likes

Season 2 was filmed at the University of Washington campus - good stand in for the Vasser look :wink: with some of the areas on the campus.

1 Like

The Lincoln Lawyer does not disappoint. Now I have to wait until August for Part 2. By the way, I have an uneasy feeling about his “girl friend/defendant”.

Thank you @skieurope for letting us know that it’s back.

8 Likes

I know I’m always a step behind, but I watched Daisy Jones and the Six last weekend and really liked it. I usually don’t like that type of show but I did.

This week season 2 of The Summer I turned Pretty is out. Prime is doing another free night at the movies like they did for Mrs. Maisel (showed the last episode at a movie theater for free; this time it is the first episode) but the closest one to me is in Boulder and that’s too far, even for free. I’ll just wait for it to be released on Prime on Friday.

3 Likes

We are more like two or three steps behind. We just watched the first episode of Death in Paradise because a friend of ours just wrote a book about the show and we figured we should at least know what the book is about as we are invited to a book launch for it. It sounds like a very academic book! (Do we have to buy a copy if we go to the party?!) Investigating Death in Paradise - McFarland

1 Like

We are up to date on watching Death in Paradise. There is a spin-off on Britbox called Beyond Paradise. DI Humphrey goes back to England and takes a job in southwest England (Devon, maybe?), gets engaged to the woman he left the Caribbean for, and is as goofy as ever.

In some ways we like it a little better than the original series, a little bit lighter. I believe a second season is in the works.

What IS interesting about Death in Paradise is that the DI character changes every 3 seasons or so. The series is filmed on Guadeloupe and it is tough on British actors who have children in school, families, etc.

1 Like

Book is $55, 246 pages, maybe a discount at the book launch??

There will be a discount, she didn’t say for how much, but yeah academic books are ridiculously expensive!

1 Like

We are watching The Leftovers. We’re almost done with the first season, but I’m not loving it yet. I do have an aversion to anything like Lost though. lol We might alternate with seasons of CB Strike.

Oh my goodness, we are halfway through “Shiny Happy People” about the Duggar family and the Gotherd cult. It is fascinating and disturbing. How can SO MANY people fall under this spell? I feel for all of those children who never had a chance to develop normally - the abuse on all levels (physical, emotional, psychological) is unforgivable.

4 Likes

I have to say the series was way more disturbing than I imagined before watching it.

Cult to the extreme. And still likely exists.

3 Likes

My in-laws, with 5 kids, joined this cult before their 1st child was born and raised all their kids in it–wisdom books, ATI, training centers, ALERT–the whole 9 yards. I realized they were in this cult when the middle child was about 6 and I started googling phrases SIL and BIL repeated frequently enough that I became suspicious.

It was very hard to love on those kids without causing family chaos about the way they were being raised. But we did it. We spent a lot of time with them with the hope of giving them a glimpse of “normal”.

ETA: To tie it back to the TV series (I did a lot of research about this cult including participating in the Recovering Grace discussion board back in the day), there was nothing in it that was new or surprising–meaning I think the Duggars’ experience and the seris (the 19 kids aside) represented the typical experience of Gothard’s followers.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I’m sure you shook your heads many times but good for you for also showing some normalcy for those kids.

7 Likes

Just finished The Diplomat. It was good, but I just didn’t think she had to look so disheveled. It almost is a disservice to women. Women can be pretty, well dressed and be a diplomat!

I am now starting the newest season of The Beauty Queen of Jerusalem.

3 Likes

I wonder if this was a bit of an inside joke for fans of Keri Russell in The Americans where her hair was always perfect, even as she was kicking someone’s butt.

3 Likes