Binge watched tv shows

Just started Mad Men. 7 seasons on Netflix.

Rewatching The West Wing for the 4th time through the years (although I periodically watch some favorite episodes fairly frequently such as Excelsius Deo at Christmas). It’s a great diversion from watching the political coverage. Today I watched the 2 part 20 Hours in America episode that begins Season 4. So nice to see guest stars like Amy Adams and John Gallagher, who I loved in The Newsroom. I think this could well be the best 2 hours of television ever. It is as if it weren’t written last week for our current national dynamic. I am loving The West Wing Weekly podcast where Josh Malina and a friend hash through each episode, but I wish there were a fast forward button to get them to review these high point episodes. When they get to Season 4 in almost 2 years, I pray we are in a better place as a nation.

Just binge-watched the first six episodes of Animal Kingdom, and I am hooked. I wasn’t sure I could handle it (quite a bit of violence), but it’s so well done, and so well acted. Plus it’s set in San Diego County, where I used to live, which is really fun.

My only criticism is that I realized Finn Cole was not American around episode 3 or 4 because of a scene where he didn’t even remotely try to disguise his native, British accent. No big deal, but funny to me. Very few actors can pull off a Hugh Laurie and remain in character scene in and scene out. :slight_smile:

Speaking of Finn Cole, from Googling him I learned more about Peaky Blinders, which I’d love to see. I don’t have Netflix; does anybody know if BBC America is planning to pick it up in the future?

Still watching Greenleaf, and it’s picked up a bit. I also started watching Unreal and, for all the critical praise, I’m rather underwhelmed.

@2VU0609, this is for you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPey6MWrLlA

@LucieTheLakie - thanks! Love it!

I am watching Billions about a guy who owns a hedge fund and a US attorney.
The US attorney is investigating the hedge fund guy for insider trading.

I have seen two episodes and I think the show has promise but I realized I don’t know any of the character names. My wife doesn’t either.

Plus, the show doesn’t dumb down the show. There is an expectation the audience has some financial industry knowledge.

I wonder what the ratings of the show are. I can’t believe the ratings could be that high.

Ha, I don’t have much specific fin industry knowledge and had to google a few things.

@lookingforward,

Should I keep watching Billions?

I did. Like a lot of these shows, it as some lulls, but some interesting turns, too. I like Damian Lewis in this. Not crazy about Giammati.

Others should give their thoughts.

Yes, keep watching, @dstark. I almost quit after a few episodes, but it really picks up and was quite good, I thought.

@lookingforward, @LucieTheLakie 
thanks. I am going to keep watching.

I might be one of the few people who doesn’t like Damian Lewis’s acting; he tries to get too much mileage from close-miked and “expressive” breathing. Giamatti seems to have been filmed when the director turned his/her back; he overacts horribly. The writing is lazy, coincidences are all over the place, the plot is worth snickering at, but I watch it still. IMO, it’s so bad it’s good.

I don’t disagree with you about Giamatti, @IxnayBob, but I love Damian Lewis. He was fantastic in Wolf Hall.

I stopped after the first episode. Really, after that bondage scene between Giamatti and his wife it lost credibility to me. Look at the writers try so hard to have edgy and twisted characters.

@LucieTheLakie , I know my opinion about Damian Lewis is a minority view, and that’s what makes horse races. Whether or not Damian was fantastic in Wolf Hall, Mark Rylance made it a must-see show.

I loved the first season of Unreal. Constance Zimmer has been so great in supporting roles for years, and it’s fun to see her with a really juicy, nuanced lead role, and Shiri Appleby does a great job playing off her own adorableness. The idea was a really good one (behind-the-camera shenanigans on the set of The Bachelor). I haven’t seen any of the second season yet,

I started watching Marcella. Lots to recommend it, but I have to say I am getting tired of the cop-with-mental-illness idea.

@JHS, I missed the first season, unfortunately, but I did catch that little “recap” show they did before the start of season 2. I want to like it, really, but it’s SO depraved. I have no doubt that many of the people who produce “reality” shows are among the lowest lifeforms, but this is so OTT, it’s hard not to yawn.

I felt similarly about Billions, though, which as @greenwitch points out, had the most ridiculous and gratuitous sex subplots early on. Fortunately, they moved away from most of that and concentrated on the characters. It WAS absurd, but it was fun too.

Animal Kingdom is depraved too, but we’re dealing with professional criminals there, not television producers or US attorneys.

Giammati is sulky and underwritten, agree. Just seems an all around loser to me. I watch it for Lewis and a few of the bit players. I like Condola Rashad, hope they expand her role.

I also liked Unreal
it gave real ethical dilemmas that a person might face.

Started Doc Martin two nights ago and am enjoying it so far. Thanks for the recommendation to those who have mentioned it:)

I have not watch its season 7 as Martin Clunes who plays Doc Martin is getting to old.