Binge watched tv shows

I’m really getting tired of summer TV and with the writers’ strike, I think fall is going to be more of the same. I may be going back through this thread to find something I might have missed.

Or buying some new streaming services to find something new-to-me.

1 Like

You can remove “I think” from the above sentence and it would be accurate. We will get new seasons of British shows in streaming platforms, but network TV will be reality shows

3 Likes

For any fans of Murdoch Mysteries, season 17 will begin airing in Canada in October. Would expect it here in the US sometime in the winter, as usual. Show runners made it very clear that the writers strike has no effect on Canadian shows with Canadian casts and Canadian writers.

1 Like

Watched all of Queen Charlotte. Found it hilarious some people must have been confused&angry enough at Bridgerton that a disclaimer about this being based on facts and real people but an alternate reality not history, had to precede the show. Did someone truly take offense that this was a history-adjacent romance/fantasy rather than a history documentary?
As for the merits, it’s easy to watch, nice for the summer. The young actress playing Queen Charlotte is fantastic.
The plot is good, doesn’t take itself seriously, with enough history in it to anchor but little enough of it to make it light&fun. Not sure why there were so many sex scenes between the young king and queen, it was quite clear from one or three that they liked each other.
So, in the end, a bit like a piece of confection or marzipan -pretty, good when you eat it, but not a meal.

Oh, my. Steer clear of the Reddit forum. Not only do they go on about historical accuracy, but they delve into inconsistencies between the characters as depicted in QC vs Bridgerton. :rofl:

Thanks.
:grimacing::rofl: Oh my.
The Bridgerton universe is historical-adjacent and never pretended otherwise. I can’t believe people think of it as a period drama!
… I suppose there are historically-challenged people out there who think that having a TV show presenting an actual Great Experiment that took place in 1761, erasing racism by the 1810s in the UK, is part and parcel with historians finding that Cheddar man’s skin was black despite having a Western European type or the new focus on formerly “erased” bits of social history. In other words, because history is finding things they didn’t know and wouldn’t accept, they assume it’s all part of a grand plan that Bridgerton fits into… ? :person_shrugging:t4:
I can’t appreciate the music meta/pattern but even I can tell the songs are tongue in cheek, contemporary played on baroque instruments. I doubt the show is trying to pretend I will always love you is a 1760s song.
For people who loved the books, any change would be a problem. OTOH the novels are rather old and reflect the times during which they were written. Some faithful readers may have a conuption if one of the Bridgerton kids turns out to be gay, yet it’d be odd if no one at all was.

We watched the first three episodes of Shelter. It’s pretty good, though can get a little hard to follow–so many different tangents, but watchable.

But for me the most fun is that it is filmed at so many places I know. It’s set in NJ, which is where Harlan Corben (wrote the books it’s based on) grew up, and uses real locations. The high school is a real one at a nearby town. The spooky house at the center of the mystery is near where I live–I have actually been inside it. And it’s nice to see places like Paterson Falls showcased, as I’m sure few people outside of North Jersey even know that a place like that exists, very close to NYC.

5 Likes

Thanks for mentioning Shelter. I also live in NJ and am a sucker for shows based here. My favorite is Jersey Shore as I actually live “down the shore” (but not THAT shore).

5 Likes

I watched Shelter and can’t wait for the next episode. Very cool that you’ve been in that house, Garland.

2 Likes

Ooh, new show to put on list!

1 Like

I grew up down the shore, have lived most of my adult life in the north, but have a second home and eventual full time retirement down the shore in a different area.

I actually never watched Jersey Shore!

It’s a cultural center so lots of events are held there. It’s as beautiful as it looks. It has a gorgeous glass room that hasn’t been used in the show. I hope it will be. The grounds are spectacular.

1 Like

Correctly pronounced “down da shore.” :rofl:

1 Like

Absolutely. I never go down the shore but do go to the beach all the time - usually during the week to avoid the crowds that do.

Sunday of Labor Day weekend, Van der Valk, Professor T, and Unforgotten all have their season premieres on PBS. Particularly interested in Unforgotten—great show that killed off one of its leads at the end of last season, replaced with a new actress.

Hotel Portofino shows up in October.

6 Likes

I enjoyed the most recent season, so I recommend for those who haven’t seen.

3 Likes

Last night we enjoyed the first episode of “Silo.” I read all the books. It’s cool seeing how they depict everything after trying to imagine it while reading!

I didn’t know if DH would like it. At the end, he said, “Gee, thanks, now you’ve hooked me on another series!”

1 Like

I hadn’t heard of it until now, some of those towns are in my backyard.

1 Like

Thanks. Love Professor T.and Unforgotten. Have not watched Van der Valk. Maybe, I should try.

Literally never heard it said that way!

2 Likes