Binge watched tv shows

We were just talking about this today - I haven’t watched any of the new season yet but figured this would probably be the last season just because they would age out

Playing catch up, just watched season 2 episode 6 of The Bear, just wow! We don’t do the 7 fishes (only my husband is Italian, but I know a lot here who do), but we used to have big holiday meals like that, stopped after my mom died, but my dad had dementia before that, and his Sun downing at them was intense, we’ve had some mental illness issues too, the whole episode was just so real. This show is terrific! I know many families who do the “cuz” thing for long time neighborhood friends.

4 Likes

A lot of people had PTSD after that episode. While a terrific episode I haven’t heard of many wanting to watch it again. Fortunately “Forks” episode 7 saves you.

2 Likes

That episode of The Bear stressed DH and me out so much, we had to stop watching after about 10 minutes! We were watching it at the end of a stressful week and were just not prepared for it mentally. I think we waited about a month before we psyched ourselves up enough to finally get through the whole thing. “Forks” was definitely a relief, and probably one my favorites of the season.

2 Likes

I’m actually really comforted that others had a similar reaction to that episode, I texted my sister to ask if she watched the show (she lived in Chicago for years and lives in a suburb so I figured she did) and she said it almost gave her a heart attack. My husband has a very mellow family and thought it was full of over acting and over the top.

Lucky man!

3 Likes

Yes! My family is pretty normal, but it only takes a couple of jerks and copious amounts of alcohol to make a family gathering go south. My husband, his siblings, his parents, and even our kids are the kindest people I know (I’d be considered the jerk :rofl:), but they’re patient with me).

1 Like

That episode had my heart racing and stress level through the roof. We usually have fairly pleasant family gatherings but when we don’t- yeah.

1 Like

Such great suggestions here!

I came here earlier to recommend Estoy Vivo when I had just started the show and liked its mash up of Heaven Can Wait and a cop show. Now 1/2 way thru the 3rd of 4 seasons and have to say it is now in my top 5 shows of all time. Warm, exciting, scary , creative and a show ultimately about love and friendship with crazy twists that make the show even better than before. If you can handle foreign language shows with captions ( or speak Spanish) do not miss it.

I don’t know if you can call it binge watching, but I finished the 3 episode docuseries Navajo Police: Class 57 on HBO. It isn’t your typical law enforcement documentary. It highlights the massive challenges Native Americans face, to include police officers, on a reservation the size of West Virginia. There are only 180 officers, in total, to cover 27K+ square miles, 24 hours a day. You want to be happy for the recruits, but it’s hard to come away comfortable with anything that happens in the series. What a challenge all of the residents of that reservation face.

I highly recommend it, but it is tough to see the worst of their world.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. We visited Canyon de Chelly in Arizona years ago and had a wonderful Navajo guide for a full day tour. I will definitely watch it when I get home from Texas.

we started All The Light We Cannot See last night – good production values, but even though I am a fan of Mark Ruffalo’s work he may win the Costner Award for worst fake accent !

I was tempted to watch. But so many people have raved about that book that I think I should save the story for reading.

1 Like

I read most of the book, really enjoyed it, but stuff got in the way and never finished (but read a bunch of books after, so I thought I might want to watch).

We’ve been watching Season 2 of Bosch Legacy and have watched all episodes so far–I think two episodes might be released today. So far, this season focuses on Maddie–Bosch’s daughter. (Don’t want to give anything away, so that’s all I’ll say.) I like this series. The only weakness is the actor who plays Maddie–she’s OK, but isn’t as good as the rest of the cast. She’s young and started as a child actor. I think Connelly is involved in the production. I’d recommend it.

1 Like

I tend to agree, I’m really not a fan of Maddie, adequate, but I’ll be happy if future episodes focus on someone else. I’ve gotten to the resolution of the Maddie story and let’s just say, I’m happy we’re done with it! (I will say, I’ve gotten rather fond of Honey.)

2 Likes

I don’t really think that watching Court TV is binge watching, but lately there are so many trials I’ve been following that it seems all I do is binge watch it.

Monday there are closing arguments in two trials I’ve been watching, the Take Care of Maya trial which is a case where children and their remaining parent are suing Johns Hopkins All Children’s hospital for false imprisonment and malpractice.

The second case is a murder trial accusing a guy of hiring his girlfriend’s baby daddy to kill his sister’s ex-husband so his mother could have access to the grandchildren.

While watching those, new trials came up (or at least motions) for the case in Texas where a woman killed a professional bike rider in a lover’s spat, motions for the woman in Utah who is accused of killing her husband with fentanyl and then writing a children’s book about the grief her children suffered.

Who needs hollywood when we have court TV?

1 Like

I really wanted to like this. I loved the book.

Sadly, I cannot recommend this. I got through half of the first episode and turned it off ff.

I thought ‘All the Light’ was okay (for a Friday night at home) but not great.

At the end of episode 4 (the end) they showed footage or Saint Malo after the war. Sadly, it could have been pictures of Gaza today.

3 Likes