Binge watched tv shows

We loved it too… though definitely some tear jerkers. I really think we should go back and rewatch the Amsterdam episode (or maybe all of Season3? or maybe all seasons, as we did for Marvelous Ms Maisel before starting final season). We saw the Amsterdam episode before our recent river cruise, with 2 nights stay in Amsterdam prior. It might be fun to watch it again now that we’ve visited some of the sights… seen those crazy cyclists in person (hubby steered me from danger more than once)

WOW–the Annika season finale left us with some crazy cliffhangers!!!

1 Like

And when you think about it, there have been many hints, cleverly woven into various episode scenes, at what that cliffhanger suggested.

H and I started watching Case Histories. It’s set in Edinburgh and based on the Jackson Brodie (private investigator) series by Kate Atkinson. We’ve finished the first season–so far, so good.

1 Like

World on Fire (Masterpiece) ended this week and I have to say I don’t think the storylines progressed much this year. Mostly the same people but lets move through the war already!

I read that they haven’t started filming a new season yet so it is going to be a long wait - and the war could end before they get moving. It is easy enough to replace babies, but the children (especially Jan) age too rapidly IRL if the episodes only advance 4 months in a season.

3 Likes

I’m late to the game, but I’ve been watching Suits. Love it, but it wouldn’t be that great without Louis Litt and Donna.

2 Likes

Early seasons of Downton Abbey had the opposite problem—many months would pass between episodes. Season 1, for example, covered 2 years, from 1912 (sinking of the Titanic) to 1914 (start of WWI). Seasons near the end of the run slowed down–in fact my beef is that the movies haven’t advanced the story line quick enough, they’re still in the late 1920’s I believe.

Since I brought up Downton Abbey:

Many fans want a movie set in WWII, so that the kids are now adults and their parents are older. My preference is for a prequel, seeing how Cora and Robert met–plus, a middle-aged Violet Crawley would be a force of nature!!! Seeing Mrs. Hughes, Mr. Carson, Mrs Patmore, etc., played by younger actors would be fun as well.

7 Likes

Any thoughts about The Crown? I finished the four episodes. It just made me sad. It seems kind of voyeuristic. And why do they change details such as having Margaret attend Camilla’s 50th birthday party when she really didn’t? And William didn’t go missing. I guess it’s hard to consider this “entertainment” for me.

1 Like

That really could have been condensed down to one of 2 episodes. 4 episodes of Diana’s death was too much.

Artistic license. It’s not a documentary. And there have been many creative interpretations of the truth in seasons 1-5.

Yes, I agree it could have been condensed.

You’re right, there’s been a lot of artistic license. I don’t know why it bothers me more this season.

In general I don’t like artistic license that veers from known facts. Sure, speculate on plot and conversation that was behind closed doors. But I prefer TV to be more like historic fiction on the true stuff, big and small.

2 Likes

Haven’t watched any of the new episodes yet, but D texted me this morning about her disappointment in the current season episodes.

The Crown made me very sad, too. I’m a Diana fan from when she first appeared and have read so much about her. I was almost a bit disappointed to have 4 episodes as I know the story back and forth, so found it a bit tedious . What kept my interest was the actress that portrayed her; I think she did a bang up job! Her body movements, eyes, she really studied her. I’ve read some articles about Diana’s appearance after her death, and I actually liked those scenes. I’m sure some of that dialogue went on inside the survivors, in some form or another. Just very sad.

2 Likes

I am really looking forward to watching this:

I recently read Suleika Jaouad’s memoir (thank you, Amazon Kindle deal-of-the-day email) of her cancer journey as a very young adult. I figured out who her ultimate partner was but didn’t realize they had married.

4 Likes

I really “enjoyed” The Crown but mostly, as someone else said, because of the actress. She did such a great job, IMO. But it was sad seeing it all played out. I liked the way they did it, with the guy walking his dog and hearing the crash and then the repeat of it. Very stark.
Otherwise, of course we have absolutely no idea the personal stuff. Pure speculation about the ring and proposal, etc.

1 Like

The Crown has released the first 4 episodes dealing with the death of Diana, if I understand correctly. I will watch those, but will be more interested in the rest of the series which presumably will deal with events after her death.

I have enjoyed this series immensely (who knew about Aberfan in the US?), but not the melodramatic Diana soap opera they have produced.

2 Likes

I broke down and subscribed to Paramount+ to watch the revival of Frasier. 8 of the planned 10 first season shows are available.

For those who have not seen it, Frasier has returned to Boston where his son Freddie has always lived. Niles and Daphne’s son David is a freshman at Harvard.

David is afraid that his father will send him to trade school unless he gets an A in his psychology class. His cousin Freddie says that he is being silly, Niles would never send him to trade school. David replies that his father was referring to UPenn!

2 Likes

I watched this morning and laughed out loud. Typical Niles

I’m sure anyone involved in academia was cringing at the main plot of the episode - a first-year visiting adjunct lecturer being considered for a full professorship.

2 Likes

Little Bird on PBS. Beautiful. Haunting. Riveting.

Brilliantly acted by the main character.

I can’t get it out of my mind.

1 Like

Fargo season 5 is starting off really well. Great cast, including Juno Temple (Keely from Ted Lasso), Jon Hamm and Jennifer Jason Leigh. I’ve watched the first 2 episodes and can’t wait to see where it’s going.

2 Likes