Binge watched tv shows

Doc Martin season 7 is available on Acorn TV. They charge $4.99 a month, but first month is free.

I just started watching The Americans on Amazon Prime. Wow.

I adored the book “Brooklyn” and couldn’t wait to see the film and even made a special pilgrimage across the state line to see it when I couldn’t find a parking space at our local art house cinema. While the film’s not quite as good as the book, it’s better than 99% of the schlock out there.

Saoirse Ronan is brilliant in the lead role, and Emory Cohen reminded me SO MUCH of the actor who played Bob Benson on “Mad Men,” James Wolk, who it just so happens reminds me of Kyle Chandler. And we know how everybody feels about him. :slight_smile:

I wanted to weep through Brooklyn. My grandmother came here by boat from Ireland, and the story was similar - minus the boy drama. But the scenes of just being new and nervous and far from home - how brave of so many who came before us to make a better life. I thought of her throughout the entire movie.

Get the book, @eyemamom!

An excellent current movie is The Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Heart wrenching and hilarious. With Sam Neill and a kid who is unforgettable.

I just discovered The Last Kingdom, and have been bingeing through it on Netflix. I love the books it is based on: Bernard Cornwell’s Saxon stories. Apparently Netflix is co-sponsoring the second season.

We liked it, @Consolation, especially my husband.

Somebody mentioned earlier binge watching movies.

My wife has been gone for a few days. Hiking. Playing in the outdoors.

So this gave me the opportunity to stay up until 2 AM. Oh
and also to binge watch movies. There are movies I wanted to see but never got around to seeing as I raised my kids.

So
I watched some of them. Mississipi Burning, The Usual Suspects, Shawshank Redemption, Schindler’s List, and Chinatown. These movies were all great.

I also watched the first half of Lost In Translation. I found it to be a boring movie about bored people. My question is
is there some kind of payoff by the end of the movie? Should I watch the second half of the movie?

It bored me brainless too. But my husband says it’s one of his all time favorites. I also didn’t like eternal sunshine and he loved that too.

I didn’t get Lost in Translation, either. I fast forwarded through much of it and then gave up.

Shawshank is on my top ten favorite list. Usually Suspects is high on my list, too. How fun that you could watch so many good movies!

I think some people love anything Bill Murray touches. I like him well enough, but don’t adore him. Meh on the movie.

So glad, after all the hype, others didn’t like L in T. Seemed pretty aimless to me. Shawshank is a best ever.
Dstark, only staying up til 2?

I watched the film, Brooklyn, again last night and loved it even more on second viewing. It is one of my all-time favorite books and I think they did a very good job with the film. I read the book probably 7 years ago for the first time and have probably read it twice more in the years since. A quiet, beautifully written book that takes you on a journey and enables you to see things you’d never experience yourself.

@dstark , wow! That list of movies, were you in a dark mood? :wink: I never made it through Lost in Translation either.

I guess I am going to save an hour. I should have asked about Lost in Translation here before I started watching. Could have saved another hour. :slight_smile:

I did watch the Eternal Mind
 I don’t get that either.

I do like Brooklyn.

I like Gene Hackman a lot.

Was I in a dark mood? Maybe. Maybe in my subconscious. :slight_smile:

Shawshank is exceptional. I am glad nobody told me the endings to The Usual Suspects, Chinatown and Shawshank.

Next year, my wife goes on vacation with her friends for a couple of weeks. That is potentially 28 movies. I am thinking Saving Private Ryan. Godfather 2. The Conversation. I may watch them before next year. I will try to find some uplifting movies. :slight_smile:

Tom Hanks, The Terminal.

Ok. I like Tom Hanks. Thanks.

@dstark, if you haven’t seen it, I strongly recommend Local Hero, a Bill Forsyth movie. I think it would really appeal to your sense of humor. And H and I both love it. :smiley:

ETA: sign me up as another underwhelmed by Lost in Translation after all the hype. But I’m not fond of Scarlet J, and I have an allergic reaction to young woman/older man stories.

@Consolation,

You are right about my liking Local Hero.
I saw it a long time ago and I liked it a lot. It’s been so long

I want to rewatch that. :slight_smile:

I am rewatching Brooklyn right now. Which guy should have been chosen? I like both guys.