Binge watched tv shows

Thanks to those who recommended Stranger Things. I never would have thought to look at it otherwise, and I have really been enjoying it. Where does the endless supply of amazing child actors come from?

@PrimeMeridian Lucky you! It’s like discovering a great series of books after the author has already written 5 or 6 of them, and you don’t have to experience the agonizing wait between volumes. :slight_smile: Think George RR Martin: I finished reading all of the previous volumes shortly before the last one came out, and before GOT appeared on TV. Now I, like the rest of his fans, am waiting and waiting and waiting for the next book.

I started watching TGW in spring of 2015, and was all the way through in time for the last year. It was great.

If you like TGW, I suggest you try Madam Secretary, if you haven’t already. (Although given the revelation at the end of last season, I am not persuaded that they are going in a good direction
)

I just started Luther last night. Looks like a good one.

I don’t think I could binge-watch The Good Wife. At its best, it was wonderful, but over time I got really tired of the stunt casting, the soap opera dramatics with the limited cast of characters, and the show’s very wobbly line between realism and utter fantasy. Plus losing Archie Panjabi. I barely watched it the last few seasons, and didn’t miss it at all.

Maybe it helps if one is not a lawyer. B-)

Lawyers had to suspend all reality when watching the Good Wife, not only for courtroom stuff but the way law firms are run. Not even close.

If the definition of binge watching is simply watching them all in order and relatively quickly

True Detective (season one), Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Friday Night Lights, Stranger Things, How to Get Away with Murder, Grey’s Anatomy, Mr. Robot, Sherlock, Shameless, Bloodline, The Sopranos and The Blacklist.

But of these, the 4 best - those I deem Binge-Worthy-Plus, are the ones that I have actually binge watched twice:

In order of preference:

1. True Detective (season one only)
  2. Stranger Things
  3. Game of Thrones
  4. Friday Night Lights

Happy Watching

Anyone here watch Scandal? D said I should try it - so just started to watch.

It took me a couple of episodes to get into Scandal, but then I was hooked. Like a lot of these shows, the quality of writing can shift, season to season. But I stuck with it.

I watch Scandal. Kerry Washington is a great actress and may be the ultimate reason I haven’t given it up. The story is more preposterous than most of my favorite shows (The West Wing, Friday Night Lights, Parenthood), but I can’t quite give it up. I have vowed to quit it a few times when they go to extremes, but have only demoted it to delayed DVR status to be watched while doing my ironing.

At times, I wanted to slap Fitz.

I cannot stand Fitz. But I like the show enough to stay with it.

I gave up on Scandal during the torture season. I heard it got better.

Just finished season 1 of Scandal. Somewhat predictable, but some good episodes. Doesn’t hold a candle to my favorites - especially West Wing. This one is more of a soap drama rather than a political drama, But I do need to watch something else - cannot keep watching West Wing over and over again :slight_smile:

I still watch Scandal, even though it is frequently preposterous. :slight_smile:

Even as a non-lawyer, I realized that TGW was unrealistic in many ways. But I enjoyed it anyway. Now if there was a show where the protagonists were involved in one of MY areas of expertise, it might make me foam at the mouth. :smiley:

DH had this issue with movies that weren’t accurate in his arena. Refused to watch some tv that misrepresented. He eventually gave in and taught a course on inaccuracies and perceptions based on them. I do feel sorry for some young kids who get career ideas from shows.

Loving Madam Secretary!

I tried binging The Good Wife. Too many episodes!

All lawyer TV shows involve heaps of fantasy elements about the practice of law. It always interferes with my enjoyment of them a little, but basically you learn to live with it – and it’s not that hard – because it serves the narrative and helps focus the viewer on the most interesting points.

To some extent, what I found annoying about The Good Wife is that much of the time it was meaningfully more sophisticated about the business and practice of law than any previous show – lots of concern with conflicts of interest, cash flow, lines of credit, associate compensation, partner pecking order, office leases, withdrawing partner buyouts, firm vs. individual partner reputation, etc. But then each of those areas got its own burden of ridiculous fantasy. So, instead of just being bemused by how frequently major litigation got resolved in the course of an hour, or how concise and substantive witness testimony could be, I also had to be bemused by three or four other things per episode. The high sophistication level of the show wound up making it more annoying, as the sophisticated topics got dealt with in an unsophisticated manner.

I had to stop watching How to Get Away with Murder. The law students never went to class, took and exam, or opened a book. The original premise was that they were first years. I don’t believe law firm members are out murdering people on a regular basis and covering it up, and if they are I don’t want to know about it.

LOL, @twoinanddone . I still watched it, although frankly it was incredibly hard to follow.

I watched the first two episodes of Designated Survivor, and so far I’m hooked.