Binghamton Scholars Program Class of 2019

RD Applicant here.

Just heard I was accepted through an email to visit their “Engineering Community Day”.

Haven’t received a formal acceptance letter or honors/scholars acceptance yet.

@Patty29‌ same thing happened to me today.

I’m confused by those accepted to the scholars program saying your stats are low when the numbers you post show that they are obviously very strong and would place you high among the distribution who attend. Don’t underestimate yourself!

How long did it take you all to find out you got into the Scholars program after you got your acceptance letters? I found out about my acceptance to Binghamton by email about a week ago, and I just got my acceptance letter today. I applied RD. If I do get in, how long do you think it’ll take for me to receive my letter of acceptance to the Scholars program?

I think RD applicants probably won’t know until after the EA Scholars are supposed to commit to Bing on March 13th. This way Binghamton doesn’t have to send out any more acceptances if all of the spots are full (they want approx. 100 scholars).

@Strive4success‌ Thanks for your help. So EA people who got into the Scholars program have to commit earlier? And RD Scholars have to commit by the normal time (May 1st)?

@lavalamp97 well I know EA people have to commit earlier, buy I can only assume that the early commit date is so that admissions can see how many invitations need to be sent to the RD kids.

@lavalamp97 How did you know you were accepted if you haven’t gotten the letter? Did you see it online? I’m still waiting to hear back and my status still says “complete ready for review”.

@Hoodie299: I think @lavalamp97 explained it pretty thoroughly…

My daughter got accepted into both the scholars program and the special science program. The 3/13/2015 date that you must answer seems unfair since these kids that are being accepted are obviously applying to other schools that do not give decisions until mid to late march. My daughter didn’t apply ED to any schools because she wanted “all the cards on the table”. Binghamton is not allowing her the option of knowing all her choices - not particularly fair of them.

@jamesjunkers @lavalamp97 sorry I was looking at the previous page, I’m still kinda new to this website

@2girls2015‌ what is the special science program your daughter was accepted into?

@2girls2015‌ Did your daughter apply early action or regular decision?

She applied EA. The special program is the Freshman Research Immersion (FRI) program. Offers research experience - 3 course sequence (doing research through presenting research). Supposedly offered to 120 students. I

Does anyone know if registering for the program binds you to enrolling in the fall?

@Chaminade2015‌ It doesn’t. I had the same issue and talked to admissions earlier this week. The rep told me that the only reason they ask for such an early response is to hopefully offer the spot to others that weren’t initially asked, which makes sense. But it in no way binds you for actual admission.

@jaredstone4‌ thanks so much

@Chaminade2015‌ no problem. They definitely haven’t given out very clear information haha. My guidance counselor was confused too at the unclear communications they sent…but I digress.

Do they send out ~80 invitation letters to all EA applicants first, and then the spots that aren’t taken are offered to RD applicants?

That’s kind of scary to me, haha. If I had known that EA applicants are chosen first, I probably would’ve applied EA. I don’t mean to complain though.