Biology/Genetics Major Looking for Feedback on Schools

Congrats to your daughter. She sounds remarkable! Totally agree with ColdWombat’s comments and others. I work in this field. If she is interested in genetic counseling or research, she should try to get as much experience in these areas as possible to determine if either is a solid fit. Some genetic counselors allow shadowing opportunities to college students. Honors programs may allow direct entry into undergraduate research opportunities. Other students can also do research, of course, but she may have to seek it out. If she is at a school with a genetic counseling grad program, she could certainly reach out to the program director to see about research/work/guidance. Besides genetic counseling or a PhD researcher a a career, she could also consider a MD/PhD program that would allow her to be a physician (geneticist if she’s willing to complete all the training AND do research). Best of luck! It is a great field!!

3 Likes

I love hearing from people in the field- thank you!

If your daughter decides to go to grad school for genetic counseling, keep in mind that she will need specific prerequisites that might not be required for a biology major. That is something to consider when choosing classes.

1 Like

One thought in considering majors is to look at several related majors at a school and see how readily you can switch between them. Years ago, I was a biochem major at Clemson. I figured out that genetics and molecular biology was more my thing, so I filled my science electives, and even some of my free electives, with classes with names like like Genetics, Recombinant DNA Technology, Microbiology, and Cell Biology. When a relative recently asked about bio-related majors at Clemson, I looked and saw that there was now a Genetics and Molecular Biology program. I joked that they took my transcript and turned it into a major. The point is, there is a lot of overlap between those (and a lot of differences in the amount of chemistry!), so if she’s unsure, she can switch. A roommate was majoring in biology, and at the time that major required a completly different set of courses - things like Vertebrate Biology and a choice between things involving plants. After our first year, the only overlap was the Genetics elective. So, look at the specifics of the course requirements for related programs at the same college, and between colleges. Not all Biology or Genetics programs are set up the exact same way.

Genetic Counselor is a specific masters program. Students in either Genetics or Biology could be a good fit for it, depending on what courses they choose, but she will need to be intentional about it. When I was a grad student at UGA, 1 or 2 of the undergrad Genetics majors who worked in our lab wound up going on to become genetic counselors.

2 Likes

Great perspective. Thank you for sharing!

Genetics and biology are good majors for GC, I agree. So is biochemistry! That being said, you can be any major as long as you take the prerequisites and do well.

What I want to point out is that while science is a very big part of the application process, potential students also have to enjoy (strongly) the counseling/advocacy and teaching aspects of GC. It can take a long time to build up the advocacy/counseling/teaching experiences that are necessary in order to be a strong applicant. Having research experience is also very helpful.

I would choose a school where these experiences are not too difficult to obtain.

2 Likes

Have you looked into Lehigh or University of Alabama Birmingham (wasn’t sure if that’s the “Alabama” you meant since there are two)? They’re both smaller schools (roughly 5-10K students) and have great Bio programs with lots of customizable/elective options to tailor the concentration to your interests.

Lehigh’s COA is too high absent merit aid (which I have heard is tough to come by).

Already applied and got accepted to Alabama (Tuscaloosa) with $28K merit and Honors College acceptance. I know UAB has greater exposure to medical/research opportunities in metro Birmingham, but not sure it’s a better overall experience relative to the Tuscaloosa campus.

1 Like

How do people feel about going to Alabama for free (full tuition scholarship for 4 years including potential graduate level studies plus 1st year of housing paid for) vs. other alternatives?

Alabama would include Honors College and potential combined BS/MS program alternatives (STEM to MBA program…BS/MBA, BS/MS in Biological Sciences). Also possible McCollugh Scholars (Pre-Med program) alternative.

Likely OOS waiver and perhaps additional merit at FSU is also attractive. Tuition would only be $6500 in-state. Likely Honors College, but perhaps a long shot for Presidential Scholarship, but can’t rule it out.

South Carolina might be somewhat higher than FSU, but there is potential for additional merit here as well.

Should Alabama now be at the top of the list relative to the others?

FSU
South Carolina
UGA
Clemson
Purdue
Indiana
Wisconsin
Miami (OH)
Delaware
Rutgers
TCNJ
Binghamton
UMass
Lafayette

Thoughts?

1 Like

It should be at the top of the list if it meets your needs. We can’t answer that for you.

If you are looking for low cost, sizable Jewish life and a cohort program such as MCCullough Medical then great.

Is your outcome going to be appreciably different than any other large school on your list? - no. Your Jewish life experience will differ - for example it will be much less at Clemson and I suspect Purdue.

Will outcomes be different for most kids at Bama vs UGA vs FSU vs U of SC. - no.

Lafayette is a different animal so the experience will be.

Bama is best if it meets what you want, desire.

As an fyi my son in engineering is interviewing with 14 companies and has a solid offer.

I think trying to rate one flagship over another is a bit silly short of maybe a few. It’s up to the kid moreso than the school. Bama is not inferior nor is it superior. The kid is or isn’t.

I don’t think - especially for pre med - you can rank this list to the point of any meaningfulness. Now MCCullough seems a great program. Do others have similar ? Or LLCs etc.

I don’t control your bank account but based on past messages it does seem a driving factor for you.

I’d personally remove Clemson, give pause to Purdue and know Jewish life exists at U of SC but as the Hillel is managed through the federation so Jewish life is likely less robust on campus.

Good luck.

2 Likes

She will get a fantastic education in her fields of interest at any those schools.

I would give an edge to those with genetics counseling programs. Alabama Birmingham does have one, but Bama would certainly be able to guide her appropriately for her preprofessional studies.

That said, at any of those schools she will be able to prepare appropriately for graduate studies. She just needs to be aware of the requirements and recommendations and communicate those clearly and often with her pre-professional advisor.

She has some excellent options! Other than the (small) edge for having a grad program at the campus, you should choose the school based on finances and overall fit.

1 Like

Excellent feedback. Thank you!

I don’t know anything about Jewish campus life at Clemson except that they rotate through the campus ministers for the pre-football game invocations and whenver the Jewish group leader does it, he prays in English and then again in Hebrew. :slight_smile:

As for academics, I agree that most of the big schools will do a reasonable job with a program in the biological sciences. The specifics of a given course of study might be more appealing at a particular school, and the student might like the culture better at one compared to another, but those seem like personal preferences. I know a couple of TN kids who have gone to Alabama or UAH for the scholarships and they seem to be doing fine.

1 Like

UAH another great financial school - but no Jews.

Anyone can say I know a Jewish student at Clemson - and they did great. But you don’t know 500 or 100…you might know of 25 or 50 and that’s the issue (if you’re Jewish). My kids, unfortunately, grew up in this environment. It’s not fun. Not everyone is religious - but it’s hard to be that “token” person -if you’re of any minority. Not to say a Jewish person can’t have a good experience there but they cannot have a full Jewish life and they won’t have many like students.

What it’s like being Jewish at Clemson | News | thetigercu.com

1 Like

Has she considered UMD college park? It has very strong sciences and engineering schools. UMD CP is also close to Baltimore, so lots of hospitals and even JH APL - very competitive but has internships for college students and many from UMD CP get selected since local. My daughter is a senior and has an internship at APL and loves it, will continue hopefully as a college student.

1 Like

Maryland’s COA is $50k OSS with no merit aid.

Hard to swallow compared to full tuition scholarship at Alabama plus first year free housing, FSU OSS waiver that brings tuition down to $6,500, and some other choices that are $20-30k less per year.

I have 2 daughters with almost identical stats (33/34 act) who applied to a lot of the same schools. I don’t see honors at Rutgers or merit, I don’t see merit at TCNJ, I do see merit at UMASS but not honors, I’m guessing $15,000 at UD and honors, $8000 at Clemson (I think $12,000 is now the top), my daughter is there and applied to honors freshman year with a 4.0. We are also in NJ. So far I have a Rutgers, UD and TCNJ graduate, and students at Clemson and Montclair state (started at Rutgers). My UD student got $18,000, but it was based on her 34 ACT, after Covid I think gpa came more into play (both had a 3.9, one B, 7/9 AP’s). UD and Clemson took all of their AP/DE credits. SUNY BING was cheaper than TCNJ and Rutgers after merit.

4 Likes

I would suggest to your daughter that she make a list of pros and cons for each school. The visual might make it easier for her to decide which one should move to the top of her list. These are all good choices where she can receive a great education.

UMD will be expensive. My D received $14,000 in merit over 5 years ago and it was still costly. She had higher stats (not suggesting at all that your D’s stats are low- just providing some context).

Both of my kids attended schools where the Jewish population was 5% (we are Jewish). Their schools were vastly different from one another in terms of vibe, student body, student experiences etc. They were both happy, but they both had different needs, interests, personalities, and career goals.

Your daughter is interested in science, possibly health care etc. For this reason, I recommend choosing a school where she will be provided with many opportunities to volunteer, gain exposure, etc.

I will definitely need to do a visit to the schools down South (Alabama, Georgia, FSU, and South Carolina) in January, and then probably again in March.

I have been doing some deep-dive research on what Alabama has to offer and admit I am more than a little impressed. The STEM to MBA program looks phenomenal and very practical for a biology major that isn’t quite sure about her exact career path. The added business classes on top of her science curriculum, professor-led mentoring, small team-oriented projects, visits to businesses and research facilities (NASA, Daimler, Lockheed, etc.), guest speakers from all over the country, and great opportunities for networking are compelling for a young college student. A lot of career options open up vs. the typical “lab rat” positions biology majors are offered before lengthy graduate studies (and tough to get into medical/graduate programs). The ROIC on a free education (and even free housing for a year) including this program is very high. Alabama’s Honors College and related programs seem like a real diamond in the rough. 2/3 of students are from out of state (vs. only 10-20% at FSU and UGA), which I’m sure adds to a “national” university feel.

She also got into UGA (found out yesterday)…from what I hear a difficult accomplishment OOS in the EA round of decisions by the school. Would love to hear perspectives from anyone that has gone there or have kids there now (or with kids that have graduated from there). How does the experience compare, how do the academic programs and career opportunities compare, etc.? I know UGA has an Honors College as well along with a number of Double Dawgs programs that combine STEM and MBA classes. Not sure about the merit aid at UGA yet, but from what I hear it may include a full or half out-of-state tuition waiver, or perhaps nothing. Athens is supposed to be a very cool small city (with more going on vs. Tuscaloosa), but I heard that the UGA campus is massive and maybe not as manageable vs. Alabama. Will know only after we visit. Atlanta is a lot easier to get to by flight from Newark or Philly than Birmingham. Then there is a 1 hour drive from the airport to both schools.

FSU ($6,500 tuition with OSS waiver) and UofSC (likely $10K tuition) are other considerations for schools in the South. Both are in more urban locations (state capitals). Will need to visit there to see what the campus vibe is like.

3 Likes

You are probably spot on with your merit awards from each school.

Rutgers/TCNJ won’t give much, if anything, and their Honors Colleges are tough to get into. UMass I expect $16k, but not Honors College. UDel will be similar to UMass, but with Honors College acceptance. Binghamton will likely be $10-15K in merit.

Schools in the South are looking more attractive frankly. Will need to visit to see if they are a fit.

1 Like

It sounds like Alabama has a lot to offer! I want to add that students with a degree in biology do not have to work in a lab following graduation.

It’s important to develop a strong resume during undergrad, as that is important when it is time to look for a job. It sounds as though Alabama has many, many opportunities. Congrats to your daughter!

2 Likes