Biology/Genetics Major Looking for Feedback on Schools

How does your daughter feel about what Alabama has to offer? Is she excited about the STEM to MBA and other opportunities that it may bring?

1 Like

Originally Alabama was not on her radar but now she is getting excited about the offerings.

The personalized programs in the Honors College give her a lot of options. She enjoys studying biology and is good at math
but needs practical applications for her studies. The STEM to MBA program at Alabama allows for that, along with a lot of mentorship and perspectives on career opportunities.

We will need to visit to see if she gels culturally
I would imagine she would.

1 Like

Only thing I’ll caution you on getting an MBA so early
Manderson is a fine school but most ‘top MBAs’ go back after years of work experience and then come out into 6 figure roles.

The STEM to MBA will have higher than normal undergraduate salaries but for a strong student who might decide to get an MBA later, they’ll leave a lot of starting salary on the table by obtaining it without prior work experience.

It’s too early to tell anyway. My son says a lot start but finish. It’s a great opportunity to have.

If your daughter is interested aim Bama and likes the unique programs, have her also look at Randall Research, Blount Scholars, and if any medical desires (even non md) the MCCullough medical scholars.

What if at Alabama you were a biology major in the Honors College and had come in with enough AP credits to qualify for sophomore status. You have a 4 year scholarship that covers both graduate and undergraduate coursework. Why would you not marry your biology major with practical business knowledge that ultimately results in an MBA in 4 years (maybe 4 1/2)? Wouldn’t you come out with far more career path options, a more well rounded knowledge base, and opportunities to enter the workforce right away (without needing to pursue additional graduate studies unless you needed to go for something very specific in the biology field)?

This notion of going back for your MBA is very conditional. Not everyone has time to do it on a part time basis and not everyone would give up a high earning middle level job to go full time. Things like motherhood, etc. can sometimes also get in the way.

So why not come out with a very marketable combined biology BS, business MBA degree in 4-5 years for FREE? Where is the downside in that?

Really appreciate your perspective!

I get it. There’s many variables and I know many people that were making $85k, $90k that it didn’t make sense to leave for two years.

In my case I went back at 28. I didn’t make more money when I graduated although it led to a career switch and better outcome for me.

I just remember when we hired a kid who went straight from Mississippi State to Middle Tennessee State or maybe it was vice versa . We offered him like $2 or $3k more than we would an undergrad.

When I went to ASU, everyone in my class but one Stanford kid had work experience. Most top programs today won’t look at you without work experience.

When you get a summer internship that helps defray the costs.

But today there’s exec MBAs, online MBAs, and so many others.

I guess I’m just a traditionalist or at least wanted to point out the risk. But your scenarios are all valid as well. There’s also, I’m told, many kids who start but don’t finish.

You could always go down the path and decide later if it’s not right. It’s certainly a neat option.

As for AP credits, my son started as a Sophomore. However whether it helps or not is major dependent. He needs to take 9 credits next semester to graduate but is taking 12. The reason - need 12 to keep the scholarship. He signed up for a PE class too. In engineering, there a 4 year path so the APs didn’t make it quicker. For bio, it depends on the course sheets. An advisor can help with that.

Of course life is long and things play out over time. Your daughters adventure will be her own !!

My husband did a combined 5 year BS/MBA program way back in the day, but he was an industrial engineer with very clear career goals and loads of summer work experience. I believe there were only 5 people in his entire MBA class that came straight from undergrad, and they were all engineers. He’s advised our daughter (a chem E) to wait and work for at least 5 years before going back. He believes the MBA coursework and collaboration is much more impactful after working full time.

Is there a reason your D wouldn’t be interested in doing a MS in her field? To me that would make more sense for a student wanting to do bio/genetics.

1 Like

She can definitely still pursue a specialized graduate degree in genetics after completing this BS/MBA program. In fact some biology majors from this program go to medical school (testimonials on the program page indicate that).

But this combined program provides some flexibility in career options in case she didn’t want to pursue the genetics track. I don’t think she would go for her MBA 5 years down the line without having a job in industry first and a BS in biology doesn’t really get you very far (maybe a lab research role, etc). However a BS/MBA in biology and business makes you more marketable day 1. It opens up a lot more networking opportunities and does provide a greater range of internship opportunities.

Biology is a very difficult track to pursue and is often ranked as “most regretted” by students. Many biology majors also lament the fact they never took business courses. I think this program diversifies her skill set and knowledge base somewhat and if she decides biology isn’t for her she has the opportunity to transition to another path of study.

2 Likes

I think part of what leads to post - grad success is internships, etc. Hopefully after her sophomore and junior years, she can attain one. You never know what the future holds.

If she believes that’s the right path for her, it’s great and she can pursue. And if she decides during her studies that it’s not, that’s great too.

I believe - an MBA without work experience - is taking classes - but not having the context of the real world to add to the discussions. And any offers will likely be muted vs. if she went back with work experience -because jobs that require an MBA also require x years of work experience - so opportunities will be less.

But I do see your thought process as well. It’s similar to what I worry about with my International Studies/Poli Sci major - when you say it doesn’t get you far.

Makes you think these kids should change the major up front if they know this. That said, I understand why they won’t and why they don’t.

And to your point -there is risk she may never go back or get that work experience to get her to the point.

3 Likes

I think the first step is choosing a school that she likes. She may choose Alabama and try the business classes- she may love that path, she may not. She will explore her options and figure it out. She may change her mind 5 times, or not at all.

People go to med school, GC school etc from all walks of life, all careers, majors etc. That is not unique to Alabama, but I suspect you know that.

Not all biology majors have regrets. Some do, some do not. I sound like a broken record, but the key to success as a biology major, the way to get a job where you can support yourself after college- is to develop a strong resume. I know biology majors who not only supported themselves, but also saved money. That might not be the norm, but it happens.

It sounds like your daughter will have plenty of opportunities to explore her interests, and that’s a good thing! Obtaining an MBA right away seems to have pros and cons (not my area) - she will do what is right for her. You have been given good advice from people who know way more than I, if she is interested in that path.

2 Likes

Agree with this. I’ve interviewed dozens (maybe hundreds, over the last few decades) of new grads with an undergraduate degree in Business who claim they should be paid on the MBA scale, not the BA/BS scale because “I took the same courses as an MBA”. Which in some cases is actually true- Managerial Accounting, Operations Research, Valuation, Micro/Macro

But it’s generally irrelevant as far as the job market is concerned. Someone with an MBA (who has taken those exact same courses) typically has actual and real life work experience, which means the theory and the “textbook” are interpreted and applied in very different ways. Someone with no work experience is going to learn how to interpret a balance sheet based on “plug and chug”. Input here, output there. Someone who has worked in an actual, physical enterprise understands that every single number has history and nuance and context-- it’s not just the arithmetic of “Do these numbers add up to 100%” which frankly- a fourth grader could do. And nobody is hiring a fourth grader for a financial analyst position, no matter how good they are at addition and subtraction. There’s more to an MBA program than knowing the formula and correcting your math.

I’d leave the entire MBA decision off the table for now. Key consideration- getting as rigorous an undergrad education as possible within the confines of what is affordable and what meets the other needs- social, artistic, whatever.

Kick the MBA can down the road. These accelerated programs are not as valuable as an actual MBA-- post- work experience-- and shouldn’t be viewed as highly additive, especially for a 17 year old who could take many different paths

6 Likes

Fair enough. Appreciate the feedback.

Alabama’s STEM to MBA program includes one 1.5 credit class per semester during the freshman and sophomore years. These classes count toward the Honors College requirements. They are group project focused and include a lot of guest speakers from industry and academia as well as field trips and networking events. Don’t see any harm in at least doing that. It’s a great experience. Junior and senior years include 3 online classes in the summer. Then there is one full year of full-time graduate business study. Students can drop out of the program at any time. So plenty of option value in doing this program.

I understand recommendations calling for doing a full-time MBA after 5 years or more of full-time work. Have to get the entry-level job first! Employers value students with STEM backgrounds that also understand business dynamics. Again, my daughter may not like the business curriculum and career paths and may stick to biology. Or she may decide to forgo graduate study in biology and enter the workforce in some related or unrelated field after graduation. Just love the optionality and exposure to other career paths and networking that this program provides.

1 Like

I think it’s two plus years most top schools require - of work experience. That may be a Starbucks barista or typical corporate or non-profit job, etc.

I will say - when I was an MBA, the STEM, especially engineers, were the most sought out kids by employers. I managed to wrangle 6 or 8 offers as a liberal art guy, but it was hard work and lower paying
as it was non-tech industries I was able to obtain and tech paid better.

It’s good you’re thinking all this through - and it’s great your daughter can nibble and see if it’s for her and make the right decision for her later.

I would also, from the school, seek career outcomes. They show mixed on the website but I would ask specific to the STEM to MBA vs. full time MBA, etc. And I would compare those with top 40 US News schools.

Lots to think about - but you have lots of time til you really need to dig in much deeper.

Bottom line - if your daughter chooses Bama after the visits, the stress in @njparent72 house will be low as you’ll have mostly dodged the financial bullet that comes with college - whether she gets a BS or more!!!

1 Like

Thanks so much for your help!

This was not the case when I was in b-school- admittedly, during the Middle Ages, but still.

B school is the reset button, which is why I caution young people to make it count. Life sometimes gets in the way, but going to the “best” program you get admitted to; maximizing the value of the degree, etc. all of these are important.

I’ve noted before that my employer wanted me to do a part-time program (which they would pay for) so I could keep my job. I got into a top 5 program which did not have a part-time option- you were either a fulltime student or not. I help my breath and jumped- financed everything with loans-- and it paid out. Even as a Classics major, I tripled my salary pre-MBA vs. post.

YMMV. But the lack of STEM as an undergrad didn’t hurt me (now or then). The world still needs humanities majors, even if that is not the impression one gets after hanging out on CC.

The best CEO I ever worked for (a Fortune 100 company) was a Renaissance Studies major (undergrad, then military service, then MBA). You won’t be surprised how much he loved hiring folks who had studied history, art, literature, ancient languages, etc

3 Likes

Perhaps it’s person by person. I guess what I’m saying is -

HP and Intel weren’t interested in interviewing the History and broadcast journalism undergrad but they loved the engineers. My better half ended up in optics with Corning - something the history major still doesn’t understand.

I ended up with an auto, but had offers from pepsi and some others, that were all lower paid then the tech people.

Of course, I was a marketing focus and there’s perhaps that - most the tech people were in finance and supply chain (which my school, ASU was known for). COme to think of it, with one elective, I got an offer in Supply Chain from Fed Ex
but also low paid relative to others.

Anyway, in general, my belief (right or wrong) is the tech is superior for outcomes (speaking generally, there’s always exceptions) and that likely won’t change for a very long time.

Either way, OP’s daughter is just starting - and her world will probably change several times over the next few years!!!.

1 Like

OP I think you need to slow down. A few weeks ago you were talking about genetic counseling, and now you are talking about an MBA. Your daughter is still a senior in HS.

She needs to pick a major/double major. Many go in undecided. She may change her mind 5 times. She can stay at Alabama (if that’s the school) and get a masters in biology. From there she can go into the pharmaceutical industry etc
but she has time for this. Maybe one day she will want an MBA, who knows.

My D has a BS in biology. She had multiple job offers before graduating - not a top salary at 22, but a decent salary- high enough to live with a roommate in an expensive city and save money (fyi she’s not a spender).

She’s planning to go back to school very soon, but right now (with her BS in biology) she has a good job in a highly regarded institution. They will pay for a masters if she chooses to stay- not a bad deal. My point is that you don’t have to figure it all out right now, as a senior in HS.

Your daughter is 17-18 years old. I would take a step back and find a school that she loves and that is affordable for you. Everything else will fall into place.

9 Likes

I don’t think the program at Alabama is incongruous with everything you are saying. It’s certainly affordable for me, would allow her to pursue a major in biology in an Honors College setting, while “gently” leaning into practical/commercial oriented business coursework (1 class per semester
1.5 credits). She can still go to medical school or get her masters in genetics if she wanted to. A lot of graduates of this program do so. Or she might change her mind and pursue something in business or other disciplines. This gives her flexibility. In 4 years she can graduate with a BS in biology (or some other major) AND an MBA. All depends on what she decides she is interested in. And it would be a free education. What’s wrong with that?!

Yes, we will wait and see what other schools might offer, but this seems like a pretty good deal on the table for now.

I think people are just saying - it’s really too early to know anyone’s life. And the best plans change.

But as parents, it’s never too early (in our minds anyway) to figure out our kid’s future.

It’s human nature.

And as you note - she might change - but she has flexibility - so even you are prepared for the inevitable.

Hopefully all 17 year-olds realize they have flexibility.

And as parents, we have to love having our biggest issue with college being - but what do I do with all the money I saved in the 529 plan :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just deleted a long post.

I would visit the schools before jumping ahead with degrees, careers etc.

She needs to visit the schools that are affordable and decide which are the best fit for her.

4 Likes

I get where @njparent72 is coming from about the MBA in that - if you do the STEM to MBA option or you even start it, it starts first year.

But as my son said to me, many start but then stop.

So I get why there is early planning.

I’m glad OP has brought such good discussion - and OP does have other schools.

But some of us parents salivate at the Bama offers - like - did I just win the lottery? :slight_smile:

Not sure how they do it - but they do it!!

1 Like