Boarding School Chance Me: 11th grade, 6+ schools

old post made around july this year, is an update!

Hi everyone, I’m applying for boarding (11th grade) for 2023. Im a sophomore!

Race (apparently its important?): Black
Note: Previously applied last year for boarding 10th grade. Marked with “*”

Schools:
Choate*
Deerfield*
Hotchkiss
Thacher
Loomis
Concord
Webb (Cali)
Putney
Exeter
Suffield
Kent
St. Pauls

Grades:
8th grade: A’s,B’s, C’s and 1 D in biology. That D is stressing me out so bad that I feel like it might be a factor in rejecting me. I might lose some points because of it, my fault.

9th grade: First Sem (school district does letter grades)
English Honors - A
Spanish 1 - A
Applied Engineering Technology - B
Alegbra 2 Honors - B
Global Studies - A
PE - A
Forensic Science - A

9th grade: Second Sem (transfered to new school)
Spanish 1 - 99
Theater - 100
PE - 97
English Honors - 98
Alegbra 2 Honors - 92
Forensic Science - 99
Geography - 97

Sophomore Year: (shortened) 2 Ap’s, 4 honors, 1 regular (Spanish). For Term 1, got All A’s 1 B, will make the B an A for the semester!

ECs:

1. Track and Field
  2. Intern (Basically introduced clients to the company and what the mission and goal was)
  3. Writer (Write Articles about social injustice to around 1.4k people on Instagram and on organization website)
  4. Intern (First Gen Support HR intern, did Interview notes and wrote emails for outreach, big stuff I guess?)

Note: I have a cousin at Deerfield, and will send either PSAT or SAT

I’m not sure about what else is going to happen later. Mostly worried about that D in middle school. Repeat sophomore is out the window by the way, hate that idea ngl

1 Like

You have an eclectic list of schools there. Putney and Exeter?! Did multiple people make this list?

What are you looking for in a school? Why are each of these school on your list? Focus on winnowing your list of schools to ones that really match your academic style - whether that be big school or small school, pressure cooker or just rigorous. So much about successfully applying is about “fit”.

The D was relevant when you applied last year.

Your more recent grades will be more relevant when you apply this year.

3 Likes

I was going to say the same thing - it’s not clear what you’re are looking for in a school. You have big, traditional pressure-cooker schools and small progressive less amped up ones. Conservative and liberal.

Can you describe what would be ideal beyond coed?

11th grade is often a tough entry point because you have to hit the ground running. Often, students who will be recruited athletes for college move at this point - because they need to up their academic game and because often, a falter in the transition will be overlooked because of a coach’s desire for the student. They aren’t the only ones, of course, but you’ll want to be sure you have thought through where you will thrive.

1 Like

Good luck! Write thoughtful authentic essays and have great interviews and you should find a spot
My current boarding school junior applied to 8 schools for her jr yr (not an athletic recruit and not a repeat)
She applied to 8 schools with 2 rejections and 2 WLs
The elite boarding schools are really only open to 11th grade athletes or some amazing Diamond in the rough discoveries

2 Likes

I will say it really depends on the school you are moving from (rigor and teaching standards) and the classes you take at boarding school (regular / accelerated / honors / ap)

Of course. But at most BS, returning students have pretty much figured out how to meet expectations by junior year. And at BS, the boarders have gotten into the daily rhythms that allow them to meet all their obligations. A new student has to work that out as well as how to address any gaps that may exist where the old curriculum doesn’t dovetail with the new one. In the year that gets the most scrutiny by college admitted, no less! It’s a tough year to change schools period - even if you are well-prepared.

With that said, the 11th graders who are admitted are the ones the schools think can make the transition successfully. Most do well, and to be fair, the schools also have has more information about the applicant’s ability to “do high school” at this point than as a freshman applicant. . This is why I advise the OP to careful consider where they would thrive.

One thing that’s frequently overlooked when people are worried about applications is this : The schools want you to succeed as much as you want to. Nobody wins if students don’t bloom in their soil. So to the extent that you can authentically articulate what works best for you, you are setting yourself up to be in a place that will serve you well.

3 Likes

Have you thought about applying as a repeat Sophomore? I agree, Junior year is tough. My kiddo started as a repeat Junior at Deerfield. And since she was a repeat, was able to take a slightly less rigorous load allowing for the social adjustments of BS. Also, most schools admit more Sophomores. Good luck!

3 Likes

what school does she attend?

I’m also applying to Choate right now for junior year, and see that we share some similar ecs! I also do track, article work for a social justice nonprofit, along with communications/marketing leadership for two other youth-led nonprofits. Unfortunately I heard from a junior at Choate that most people who got into that year were football repeats, so it seems that they’re looking to fill their junior class in based on school priorities, but I don’t think that necessarily means we don’t have a chance (especially considering that Choate designates a section on the application for 11/12 grade applicants to explain why they’re applying). I was really hesitant about whether I should apply to repeat tenth grade or not because Choate is more likely to let in sophomores, but ended up not doing that, and somewhat regret it. But I went on a campus visit there last month, and was able to connect to the students really well! They emphasize connection and support over competition, and I felt as if there was a spot for me. Given some of the doubt I’ve been given on CC when asking about my chances though, I honestly think that all I can do is hope for a miracle and continue to refine my application to make it authentic and unique. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

aw hii!! i think we just have to make our applications stand out and have a real reason to come to choate. i wont do repeat sophomore since I’ve worked so hard already and it wouldn’t be fair to redo all my progress just to get into a school. I also heard they let in 30-35 juniors, so letshope we fill in two spots <33

1 Like

Applying for 11th grade at most boarding schools would be tough to get into.

1 Like

i’m also applying for choate!

applying for 11th grade, asian female international, requires FA
would love to connect as I am really new to boarding school stuff!

1 Like

stop i also contacted someone!! ill pm u

same, applying to choate as an 11th grader!!