Boarding school COVID discussion 2022

In December the republican, PA legislature successfully defeated the governor in court and had the mask mandate overturned. As of mid December, the mask mandate was no longer in effect since the court agreed that the governors office could not issue such a mandate under a new PA law that was voted on back in May. So from here on, any school in PA that has a mask mandate is making their own decision about it. Although most public and private schools I know of are continuing with masks, at least for the next several weeks.

1 Like

Was just coming here to say this. Our local public school went mask optional as soon as this happened.

No, day students are not allowed at PEA this week.

Exeter made masking indoors optional a few weeks after school started, but then reinstated masks after family weekend in October (so many kids left campus for the weekend).

DDā€™s roommate is positiveā€¦ oh well

Lville has required masks indoors since the pandemic began. I believe all NJ and CT schools are currently required to have them.

@BlueBirdWine it seemed like @G07b10ā€™s reply to me was saying that they were allowed at PEA.

@G07b10 can you confirm please or did I misunderstand your response?

I think that my school will consider going maskless when COVID calms down. Not that it makes my life any different, thatā€™s really the only restriction weā€™ve had the whole year. And I donā€™t mind the masks. They arenā€™t uncomfortable to me and they protect others.

1 Like

Day students have the option to do online classes from a couple locations on campus. Iā€™d assume they are allowed on campus. Socializing outside is not prohibited. They just canā€™t get into buildings or dorms.

Btw swim practice resumes on Saturday. One swimmer per lane.

1 Like

@lilyesh
No, Groton is masked 100% inside. Last year Groton was masked outside too.

thanks for clarifying- very helpful

Thatā€™s going to be a looooong swim practice for the coaches, either that or just very short for each swimmer. Barely enough to get the kids warmed up. Only six kids swimming at a time.

1 Like

They will need to reserve in advance. I think the pool will be open all day and you are right, 8 lanes are not enough for everyone to get a 2 hr practice. But it is better than nothing. I didnā€™t ask DD if pool would be open on Sunday as well.

Sorry, G07b10 is correct. I was going off of the knowledge that common areas are closed and that day students are not allowed in affiliate dorms, plus the fact that itā€™s freezing outside. Both my kids are in the health center with COVID right now, so Iā€™m not getting firsthand details about whatā€™s going on outside of the quarantine zone. :frowning:

So sorry to hear about your kids! Hopefully low/no symptoms and a quick bounce back for both of themā€¦

If anyone wants to see how Covid has been going at a school, Lawrenceville posts its numbers publicly here: https://www.lawrenceville.org/life-at-lawrenceville/leadership/school-operations/reopening/covid-19-dashboard

There have been 2 student cases so far since the return from break.

They too have more faculty and staff cases than students, seems like a trend everywhere. Did they test all the day students already as well?

Hill was also masked outside last year. Not this year though.

scroll down - looks like 2 of only 20 tests so farā€¦

Iā€™m a day student and I was tested on campus yesterday (weā€™re still prohibited from going to campus other than for testing purposes). Results should be out by Sunday or so, provided that the snowstorm hasnā€™t impacted processing.