Boarding school recruiting

Does anyone know the deadline to send videos for sport recruitment ? I have had conversations with the boarding school soccer coaches about my interest. I will be sending in the videos by Tuesday, but i’m wondering during which time periods you can keep in contact with coaches. I’m scared, I might be too late.

Doesn’t really matter what an ideal timeframe would be.

Speaking to coaches and having your club coach speak to coaches is more important than videos. Videos are just you at your best (I can take a terrible game and make a highlight video that looks good).

It’s kind of hard to say without knowing your sport. If it’s tennis or soccer or basketball those sports are so different in the way they are organized which changes what you need to do.

I doubt you are too late. Videos can only help!

Back when our student applied there was a section on the application and/or online interest form where you could write down your coach’s contact information. Videos were sent - also an updated video in early February from a tournament because that was “season” for one of the sports. Along with that, expressed major interest in the school/coach.

I think if you are coming from another part of the country/world, it does help to have video. The coach at a NE boarding school may not be familiar with your school.

From what I understand, coaches are unable to initiate contact with students after Feb 1st, but students may initiate contact with coaches after that date. Either way, I’d submit as much material as you have by the end of today.

1 Like

It isn’t too late, but time is definitely ticking. From what I can gather, schools generally know who they are going to admit around mid-February–coaches have been known to let slip to applicants that their “application is reading well” around that time. :joy:

I wasn’t aware of this rule. Does this apply to other disciplines such as music, theater, etc. or just athletics? Let’s say you have a first chair violin and sent in multimedia links. Does any potential communication happen before Feb 1.?

Only for athletics, and it may vary by league. Here is information I have directly from one ISL school:

“Our school competes in the Independent School League (ISL). The ISL rules that coaches cannot initiate contact with players from February 10th - March 10th. If a player reaches out to the coach during this time, the coach can respond.”

My initial post was incorrect…the quiet period begins Feb 10th. But again, I would check with each school on this, as each league likely has their own rules.

1 Like

Very interesting! I had never heard of this, thank you.

Interesting, I had never heard of this either.

My kid was in contact with a collection of coaches from New England/Mid Atlantic boarding schools from September through May for two different sports (although neither was soccer), and we weren’t made aware of, and didn’t come across any communication restrictions.

My kid contacted the coaches as an early first step, before talking to admissions or even applying to the schools. There was varying interest from coaches but once my kid made and sent a highlight video for one sport, the interest definitely jumped up a few notches.

My son applied to boarding school and contacted all of the coaches. He submitted videos with his applications in the fall. He was able to meet with most of the coaches during his interviews (this was pre-covid, so in-person).

During the visit at Andover, we asked the coach if he reviewed the video. He was honest and said no. The interview was in December. On March 10, he received an acceptance from Andover, and on the admissions letter was a handwritten note. The note basically said that the coach really liked him and wanted him to attend.

So this is a long winded way of saying that the coaches are stretched for time. They probably don’t review the videos until right before the deliberations start (probably mid to late February). So you still have time.