Bravo Santa Barbara! Shame on you UC Irvine for your grudging and petty

<p>This whole admissions thing is growing stranger by day.</p>

<p>I heard from UC Irvine on Feb. 20, but some of my friends just heard from Irvine yesterday / Mar. 13.</p>

<p>Irvine's rejection message is also short and not very warm. On the other hand, UCSB continually updates its students with lots of nice emails, and their Regents scholarship also comes in the mail with a REALLY nice folder and a congratulatory certificate. UCSB does indeed treat its applicants with a whole lot more respect than UCI does.</p>

<p>HOWEVER, we should not just a school by its undergraduate admissions office. That's like judging a book by its cover. Even though I like UCSB's admissions process a whole lot better than Irvine's, I'd choose Irvine over SB because of academics and location.</p>

<p>I'd choose Irvine over SB because of academics and location. </p>

<p>I don't think any school can have a better location than SB...</p>

<p>That's just my personal opinion though. =)</p>

<p>^^ Does this mean "imgoing2college prefers Irvine to SB and both over San Diego?</p>

<p>Andyy: good for you for hearing from Irvine early. But you have to admit their decision announcement process stinks. There is an undignified element to releasing results in installments. At the very least they should explain their LOGIC. All it takes is a simple para on their website explaining why they are choosing to prolong decision season throughout March. This appears to be true MARCH MADNESS.</p>

<p>After Davis and San Diego today, many of my friends who have been left twisting in the wind, no longer CARE what Irvine does. And while many, many other do, Irvine is LOSING GOODWILL and not making any friends. Ultimately, students will and should make pragmatic decisions about where they attend, so many will overlook this but nevertheless if my friends and their parents comments are any indication, Irvine seems to have gone out of its way NOT to make friends.</p>

<p>Good luck to all who get accepted and choose to attend.</p>

<p>^^ Does this mean "imgoing2college prefers Irvine to SB and both over San Diego?</p>

<p>No, I took that as a quote from someone else.</p>

<p>I prefer SB over all of them. =)</p>

<p>Santa Barbara's not that bad. Its kind of out of the LA smog area. I grew up there and it was kind of nice, a really small town. UCSB isnt really in Santa Barbara, its like 20 miles away from downtown. It also doesnt offer a medical or law school which is part of why it has a reputation for being academically weak.</p>

<p>UCSB isnt really in Santa Barbara, its like 20 miles away from downtown.</p>

<p>It's like a 10 minute drive away. My HS in in SB so I would know. But it's literally right on the beach-and the engineering buildings are on the ocean side (and I'm interested in the Computer Science major).</p>

<p>@ Curtain Call: I do entirely agree that I don't like Irvine's admission process that much. Many of my friends have been waiting so long for Irvine, and therefore some of them feel like they've already been rejected. Why accept some people in mid-February and reject others in late March? That makes the other applicants feel really bad.</p>

<p>However, the school itself is really nice. The classes, majors, facilities, location, all the wonderful professors and students there. Hopefully you guys won't try to dislike all of UC Irvine simply because of their decision announcement process.</p>

<p>Good luck to all of you who are still waiting for Irvine!</p>

<p>if UCI chose to notify people of their admission decision via snail mail (like many privates), it would just be the wait killing you, not the waiting of the internet to be released. </p>

<p>side note: i cant remember personally, but i believe the SIR decisions are due to the various colleges by June 1. If UCI does tell everyone their admission decision by the end of march, it means you have 2 whole months to figure out what school you want to go to. stop being so impatient.</p>

<p>I'm applying to transfer to a couple of smaller private schools- if i get in, i often have to respond within 2 weeks. if you were in a similar scenario, i would understand why ur complaining- but you arent.</p>

<p>Just to clear up the above post. SIR decisions are May 1st for UCI.</p>

<p>thanks for clearing that up mom2jej</p>

<p>heres a side-note:
(im not 100% sure on this)
if, for whatever reason, you really need more time to decide, just sign multiple SIR. particularly with the UCs, because they are online and not via paper, you can cancel them later if you need to. However, please don't hold onto multiple SIRs for an extended period of time as someone on a waitlist may get you spot. You will, however, lose your deposit.</p>

<p>if you tihnk this is wrong, remember you have over a month to sign the SIR for the UCs. and students who do get in via waitlist often change the SIR for their original institutions (which can make school B then have to go further into their waitlist....). ive heard kids getting off waitlists mid-late summer</p>

<p>The UCs don't have a waitlist. You are in for Fall or in for a delayed entrance one term later, or you are out. </p>

<p>You might just get all your admissions cancelled if you are found to be submitting SIRs to more than one campus - beware.</p>