Brown Admissions Regular Decision Fall 2022

WL is the most common decision I’ve heard from people. When D18 applied, I don’t remember this many waitlists. It just prolongs things for everyone. I guess once the Ivies come out everything else just filters down. My D has 3 admits, 3 WLs, a denial and deferral from Brown ED. Still hoping for a Brown admit, but I think a denial would be preferable to a WL at this point.

2 Likes

Agree completely. I hate the waitlists, was actually happier with rejections.

The only thing colleges have control over when it comes to numbers are the ED’s and Waitlists so, I’m curious to see how much they dialed in their acceptances vs. last year. I’m sure they are all racing to maintain their positions within the 'lowest acceptance rate’ pecking order. Yields may suffer but who cares when ‘acceptance rate’ is the only stat that really matters when it comes to public perception.

1 Like

I think Brown’s well-publicized new FA initiative brought in some extra apps - including my son’s. We visited Brown and he liked campus but it only became a contender when they announced the higher FA limits.

Of course, then he took them at their word that the video was “optional” so ultra confident he is getting a rejection next Thursday. D’oh!

1 Like

Does everyone have this message in banner self service, under Requestloan or accept loan offers?
All students must accept or decline their offered loans online. Select the Accept Award Offer tab to make loan borrowing decisions.
The availability to accept or decline student loans occurs after May 1st. You will be contacted by the Loan Office and given instructions to complete this process

Current award information is not available. Please review requirements to determine if any items remain outstanding. If you recently submitted a loan request, award information will be unavailable until that request is processed. This request may take two to three business days to be completed.

3 Likes

Just checked and yes, son has same message.

1 Like

I have a first year at Brown. I think the WL is being highly leveraged this year, similar to last year. Test optional contributes to part of the increase in number of apps per unique user/applicant so the WL allows colleges to avoid over enrollment. Somehow, Brown was very on-point with their acceptances last year because yield was fairly solid, so I don’t believe they made any dent with the WL last year.

2 Likes

According to their CDS, they enrolled 195 off the waitlist last year. And of the 2,822 accepted applicants, 1,751 enrolled, which is better than what most highly selective schools did last year.

By the numbers…

Brown’s yield has steadily increased to around 66%. The school has increased its financial aid offering this year to decrease the “donut hole” and consequently anticipates an even higher yield.

In addition early decision applications this year increased 11% with a slightly higher number of students taking spots in the class of 2026.

This years RD applicant pool increased by 9%.

Last years RD acceptance rate was 3.5%.

“Regular decision applicants were admitted at a rate of 3.5 percent, breaking the previous record low of 4.8 percent, also set by the class of 2023. ”

I provide all of this not to depress anyone but provide context and the reality of what will likely be an approximately 3% regular decision acceptance rate.

Simply put that means a lot of tremendous and qualified kids won’t be accepted. It will be disappointing for most, feel personal for many and be Brown’s loss in many if not most cases.

There simply aren’t as many spots as there are great kids. Good luck!!

9 Likes

I agree. Our D22 has experienced quite a few disappointing and unexpected results this year. Her grades, EC’s and test scores are above average for the Ivys but she is getting rejects from many reaches and safeties. It appears many schools are managing yield and utilizing waitlists to a great degree. Also agree the test optional status has increased the number of applications and impacting acceptances. Brutal process this year. Wish everyone success as the Ivy results come in next week!

7 Likes

Last year’s numbers are not good indicators. Too many schools had to absorb deferred acceptances from the year before. At Williams, for example, about 20% of ‘20s deferred to last year.

2 Likes

Yeah, I realize that…and that in fact, there could be a wild swing in the opposite direction in response to whatever happened in AO back rooms last year. Prob best to just have some scotch!

5 Likes

Always an appropriate and effective plan😀

8 Likes

Are there official dates for ADOCH?

I’m part of the Oban cult, but yeah, I’ll drink that!

1 Like

Why are lot of the seats given to international students when we don’t have enough for US students.

Not sure if that is indeed the case. Where are you getting your information from? I think you are wrong.

Having internationals enriches the experience. Besides, most likely the majority pays full price.

I would hate having a university with only US people. Boring.

7 Likes

Not sure why this is directed at me but I can try and provide context.

Brown’s international student population typically constitutes about 13% of the total population. This provides a sense of being a part of a global community, diversity of opinion and personal experience. Additionally these students tend to be exceptional academically and beyond such that they significantly contribute to the Brown community.

Conversely it further reinforces Brown’s reputation outside of the US and extends the alumni network throughout the world (along with Browns extensive Fulbright scholarship representation).

Additionally I am sure there are some students that fit institutional needs such as being full pay, famous family (ex 2 of 4 Beatles kids) or just simply worthy like Emma Watson.

Hope this helps explain.

Lastly as a parent I wouldn’t want my kid to attend a school that actively sought to eliminate a global perspective by exclusively “filling seats” with American students. In my view kids benefit from being around people who have life experiences that are different from theirs.

7 Likes

Schools with international flavor and diversity are in higher demand. Personally, we had a cutoff percentage for racial diversity. If less than 25% of students were international/minority, the school was nixed from our list. The world is a much smaller place than it was 20 years ago. If an American student wants to be competitive ‘out there’ in the real world, especially in the future, it’s in their best interest to be worldly or ‘citizens of the world.’

8 Likes

The ADOCH dates that were announced to the ED kids are: April 8, April 13, and April 22. It is a full day (8 AM - 5:30) of activities but no overnight stay.

1 Like

I think you’ll find that international is still a minority number of students. A good percentage probably don’t get financial aid, so I see it as helping to keep costs down for the US kids. Brown is a private school and isn’t public so I think the stance of minimizing international students can’t be reapplied like apples for apples vs public schools. S21 has met international friends and I honestly think it’s helped him culturally. May be a minority kid in the US but his life is nothing like an international kid of the same ethnicity.

5 Likes