Bryn Mawr vs. Wellesley

Its now onto the decision making process.
Any inputs about by the foll.
Bryn Mawr vs. Lafayette vs. Wellesley

Based on academics, professors, job placement , alumni. network.
TIA !

Well - one is coed :slight_smile:

Two in PA - one not.

Tell us about the student - likes, dislikes, major.

Is home location a factor? Weather? Cost?, etc.

All three seem like fine schools.

The 2 single sex schools will have a more similar vibe and culture than the co-ed one. Bryn Mawr and Wellesley are each located in an affluent suburb about 30+ minutes outside a major city with good public transportation into that city and easy access to walk into the local town. Lafayette is located in a less affluent area outside Allentown, which is a very small city. I don’t know how difficult it is to get into Allentown and IIRC there isn’t much of a town near the campus.

As far as travel to the schools both Wellesley and Bryn Mawr are about 40+ minutes from a major international airport. Allentown has a smaller airport (Lehigh Valley International Airport) 15-20 min from the school, but I believe most Lafayette students fly into Philadelphia, Newark or Kennedy so that’s between 2-3 hours from the airport to the school depending on which one is chosen.

Bryn Mawr participates in a consortium with Haverford (15 minutes away) and Swarthmore (35minutes away).

Wellesley operates programs for cross-registration with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Babson College, Brandeis University, and the Olin College of Engineering.

4 Likes

I would think Wellesley would be the most intellectual/hard working. Bryn Mawr is also intellectual and perhaps more fun than Wellesley. Both are women’s colleges though BM is close to Haverford and has more male presence on campus, both are very progressive. I don’t know much about Lafayette but odd to include it in a comparison with Wellesley and Bryn Mawr - what did your d like about Lafayette?

3 Likes

Lafayette is in Easton and the Lehigh Valley (Allentown, Bethlehem , Easton area) is the third largest population area in Pa. Behind Philly and Pittsburgh. Newark airport and Philly airport is not 2-3 hours away more like 1.5 to 2 hours away. But no doubt the other 2 are closer to airport.

The entire area of the Lehigh Valley has been a growing area in a great location. Close to NYC and Philly which is good for jobs, internships etc. Also close to Poconos and Jersey shore not that far.

College Hill were Lafayette is location is a nice little area.

Of course I am a Lafayette graduate so I am biased.

6 Likes

It was an overall range depending on the airport …apologies that I wasn’t more clear. And regardless significantly more travel time than Wellesley or Bryn Mawr.

Kennedy is 3 on a good day
Philadelphia is 1.5-2 depending on traffic
Newark is ~1.5 depending on traffic

It maybe the 3rd largest area but it doesn’t feel that way when you’re there. My S19 attended Lehigh and I went to school in Philly. The overall vibe between the 2 areas are very different IMO. And definitely different than the towns of Bryn Mawr and Wellesley.

We still don’t know anything about OP. That would help - to know what matters to them.

4 Likes

What majors are you considering?
Bryn Mawr will have a more intellectual vibe, Wellesley is competitive (hence the 1st semester with “hidden” grades), Lafayette is most different but balanced across majors.
What’s your net cost* at each?
*Net cost = (tuition, fees, room, board) - (scholarship, grants)

2 Likes

In touring LACs with my D we really felt that each school had its own particular “vibe.” Some LACs she gravitated towards and others she dismissed after the visit. If all these schools are equally affordable I’d let your D choose. If possible I’d re-visit the top choices on accepted students day - those visits really helped my S to make his final choice.

FWIW my D graduated from Lafayette and had a great experience there. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the school that a parent can answer.

4 Likes

Look I get it Bryn Mar and Wellesley are closer to Philly or Boston. In my view if she does not only want single sex school or near (30 minutes from a big city) a huge city…. Lafayette can be in the discussion regardless of not being in Philly or Boston suburbs.

1 Like

Yes. We don’t know what moves her and she hasn’t been back.

Throwing up 3 schools with no context doesn’t really give anyone anything to work with.

2 Likes

How about Wellesley vs. Bryn Mawr with regards to academic rigor, faculty, programs, vibe/culture, alumni support.

Thanks.

Wellesley rates highly for classroom experience in this survey-based result:

Wellesley has more competitive overachieving types, and Bryn Mawr more intellectual/nerdy types, but there are students from both at both colleges.
My sense, from students who went there, is that Wellesley is more stressful than Bryn Mawr, but many students thrive on intensity.

3 Likes

The alumni network at Wellesley is very strong (according to those relatives we know who have attended).

I will guess that Bryn Mawr has a strong alumni network as well…but someone from there will need to comment.

Both schools are strong academically.

I think this is going to come down to personal preference for this poster.

And @Dms1 it looks like you are still hoping to get off of the waitlist for NYU…so good luck.

Have 2 students that applied for 2027 to a bunch of colleges

What does this mean? Do you have twins?

Yeah

1 Like

Well…back to your question. Both Bryn Mawr and Wellesley are excellent colleges. Your daughter could pick either and they would satisfy the criteria you listed. As I said, our family has first hand knowledge of the strength of Wellesley.

Good luck.

(Adding…I’m sort of hoping the other twin is waiting to hear about NYU…because it’s a VERY different college experience than Wellesley and Bryn Mawr)

1 Like

My D is a BMC grad and the alumni network is strong and helpful. My D is an actor and between gigs she makes money coaching students who are auditioning for MFA programs. Many of her referrals come from two of her professors at BMC.

2 Likes