BS/MD BS/DO Results - FALL 2022 applicants

Yes, it is SLU’s Med Scholars program.

2 Likes

Hello- Are there any family or student who got into Case western PPSP program? Looking for some insight with this program for in- state students have any preference.

Thanks

2 Likes

Please post your question on this thread:

Link to discussion thread:

1 Like

Very competitive Good Luck and thanks for sharing. Just curious why Penn state instead of NJMS with full ride. Are you local to PA ? Did you take SAT is that not important ?

Good luck to everyone who got accepted and committed!!!
My child has committed to PLME. It has been a long journey but ended well.
If anyone has any specific questions, You can DM me.
IMO, for BSMD, everything counts!!! SAT/ACT, class rank(mainly no one or two), AP scores. Also, try to do meaningful research. Doing one - two months over the summer is not putting as much weight as working long term during the school year. Plus, when you work with someone for long time, their recommendations letter counts a lot more. (I do think this helped a lot for both my kids)
Teachers and counselors Rec letters also should be unique. Not just generic. We spoke to each teachers and counselors to let them know how competitive these programs are. They knew my kids well and I believe the Rec letters were excellent!!
Essays- especially why med essay counts. Research each colleges in detail. Especially for PLME, they want to know how you will use their open curriculum, how it connects to your life and what you want to achieve from that. For PLME, each supplement counts a lot. They both had many different people read and give them feedbacks. All the teachers, counselor, friends, families, mentors !! Everyone gives unique perspective. At the end, it’s pure luck!

Applied to following BSMD:
PMM- interviewed, accepted
BU- interviewed, accepted
GW/GW- interviewed, accepted
TCNJ/NJMS- interviewed, accepted
PLME- accepted
Case- alternate list
Union/Albany- interviewed, accepted

Undergraduate programs:
Georgetown-accepted
U mich - waitlisted, withdrew
UNC- waitlisted, withdrew
Rutgers honors college- accepted
U Penn- waitlisted
Columbia- waitlisted
Princeton- waitlisted
Harvard- waitlisted
Duke- waitlisted

Both my kids had multiple offers and I let them pick what they want. It has to be the right fit for them. They don’t chase the rank of the college/program or the status. My older one did not even apply to many Ivy as she knew what she wanted. They wanted to pick what makes sense for them. It is a long process so they have to be happy where they are. Medicine is a long process so it’s better they don’t get burned out. Our high school is a low tier ranking wise but the environment is very cooperative. Not cut throat.I was always concerned that colleges will look at the high school’s status but obviously they did not. Both the kids are happy with their high school experiences compared to what I hear from some of my other friends whose kids went to specialized high schools.
Good luck to everyone!!!

9 Likes

GPA: 3.91 (UW); 4.66 (W); public school
Class rank: School does not rank; class size: 450
SAT: 1530 (1560 super score)
No Subject tests
APs: 11 Ap Classes in 9th, 10th and 11th - (Scores in 1 AP = 4 (Bio); 2 APs = 3 (Calc and CS))
Advanced courses: AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP CS Principles, AP Calc AB, AP Calc BC, AP Psychology, AP Physics, AP English 11, AP English 12, AP CS, AP Environmental Science

LORs: Strong letter from Counselor, 2 teachers gave strong letters, Chief Resident Surgeon at Walter Reed, Research mentor

Ethnicity: ORM
Hooks: None

Awards:

Presidential Service Award
AP Scholar with Honors
National Merit Finalist
HOSA State level Medical Ethics winner twice
Biology Olympiad Semifinalist
National Honors Society
Science National Honors Society

ECs:

Research: Independent Research at high school (with mentors at Rutgers University and UVA)
10th grade - Environmental impacts on Birth Defects
11th Grade - Raise of Tele-Med in COVID-19 pandemic
CPR certified
Stop The Bleed Certified
Red-Cross - Founder and President at HS
HOSA - Member all 4 years HS, Officer 10th grade
Tutoring - Tutored Refugee kids
Tutoring - Peer tutor part of NHS at high school
Wrestling - JV 9th and 10th, Wrestling cancelled in 11th due to COVID
Martial Arts - Since 1st grade participated in Taekwondo, Black Belt.
Shadowing - Shadowed in General Surgery at Walter Reed Medical Center
Hospital volunteer - Veterans Hospital and Walter Reed Medical Center (9th summer)
Virtual Shadowing - During Covid
Penn Medicine Summer Program - Perelman School of Medicine
Rutgers THED program

BS/MDs:

Sienna/AMC: Did not get forwarded to AMC
Syracuse / Upstate: Did not get forwarded to Upstate
Penn State PMM, VCU, Hofstra, BU, Case, Temple, Brown PLME, Rejected before Interview
TCNJ/ NJMS: Rejected before interview.

Rejected After Interview

Drexel: Interview went extremely well. (Interviewer asked if your both parents are doctors as his answers were very matured).
NJIT-NJMS: Feeder school interview; forwarded to NJMS: rejected post-interview
(NJMS interview went extremely well, discussion about his research)
Rutgers-NJMS: Feeder school interview went extremely well; rejected post-interview at Rutgers (He forgot to send thank you note to lady interviewed at Rutgers, could be the reason. not sure though)

Accepted BS/MD Programs

FAU BS/MD: With some scholarship
UCF BMS: Accepted with full ride
USF Morsani BS/MD: Accepted with full ride

Undergrad:
In-state: accepted with Presidential Scholarship
UPitt: Accepted into Honors with 10k scholarship
Accepted all undergrad programs of BS/MD schools with good scholarship

Decision: FAU BS/MD

Reflection:

Colleges applied:

We applied to most BS/MD programs and only to our state undergrad program and 3 Ivy league schools. Our main focus was to get into any BS/MD regardless of the name / prestige of the school. Each year medical school admissions are getting harder and we want to avoid the stress of getting into medical school by going to top undergrad program.

ECs:

COVID impacted our ability to do research and our state also has age restrictions for becoming an EMT (need to be 18+).

My son’s high school offers independent research courses in 10th and 11th grade for strong students. He did research with a mentor from Rutgers university in sophomore year, he could have gotten into real wet lab research in 11th grade by continuing the independent research but everything got cancelled due to COVID.

He had video call with his primary care doctor for his acne issues, and took it as a research topic for 11th grade independent research. Though he could not reach out to hospitals for his Tele-Med research he focused on how to reach underserved communities using Tele-Med.
This became the primary topic of discussion in all interviews, including Dartmouth alumni interview.

My son also wrote to 50+ professors for independent research mentoring, no one responded but mostly women professors were most receptive to the requests and both his mentors were women for his research. (Tip for students reaching out to researchers, choose women for better chances of getting positive response)

We also applied to a 15 OOS summer research programs (11th grade) but most of them were handed to previous year students who could not do research as it was cancelled the previous year.

He could get into Penn Medicine Summer Program - Perelman School of Medicine. (This was is paid program 6k normally, but due to virtual setting last summer the fee was only 2k)

As a Red Cross president my son raised funds online during COVID, did not stop tutoring his refugee students, he was very attached to them and wanted to help them virtually. He still continues to tutor these kids; this was very impressive for FAU. FAU mentioned this year was unusual as 70 National Merit students applied to FAU BS MD and it was very hard for them to choose 32 students for interview. (FAU only selects NMS for interview).

Counseling:

Took help form a well-known firm, but CC forums helped us understand the significance of essays and application process.

I have been following CC since he was in 8th grade. Lots of input I took from CC was very helpful. Tips like start writing essays as early as possible in summer helped my son stay focused on this process.

College visits:

We visited Drexel, VCU and later visited UCF and FAU last Fall. We put lot of focus on Florida schools once he got his National Merit Semifinalist status.

Re: Interviews:

He got 3 med school interviews.

Virtual interviews at most colleges were well organized.
Interviews with Drexel and NJMS went extremely well but did not get acceptance, FAU interview was ok but he got selected at FAU.

Forums:

I spent most of my time on forums like CC and filtered information to my son. My son doesn’t know the source of my information was focused only on academics.

Decision:

FAU BS / MD as it offers 7-year program and flexible to extend to 8 years or even apply outside. Since the cohort size is very small, I heard they take very good care of the students.

They have Max Plank and Scripts research. My son chose Boca Rotan campus due to easy access to medical school and he can also start research from first year at Maxplank Scholars Program. GPA and MCAT requirements are quite manageable (3.7 and 510).

UCF BMS and USF offered full ride as National Merit scholar. This year state of Florida could not sponsor COA for OOS National Merit Scholars. Though UCF and USF sponsored out of their own budget, FAU could not do that. They only provided 15K scholarship. It is still very affordable as FAU tuition is low.

Reflection: This admission cycle was very hard for kids due to COVID, it was hard to get any research or shadowing. As parents we are from IT profession and do not know anyone
from medical profession. We could not get any help when trying to reach out for shadowing. One thing that saved us was we started on volunteering and shadowing in 9th grade. (pre-Covid)

Walter Reed had a special summer program for high school students interested in medicine. This program only accepts students of the employers and I have no idea why they accepted my son into their program. (I guess his Martial arts teach gave a strong recommendation and also his refugee kids tutoring was impressive). Since he was already into Walter Reed in 9th grade, he could get into their shadowing program in 11th summer , last summer they just started opening some activities post COVID.

My son could not perform well in AP exams taken in 11th grade as we were mourning the death of his grandfather and 4 other close family members from COVID in INDIA. Also school shifted to semester system in fully digital learning. No labs for important science classes like AP Chem.

He got his first B in 11th grade and it affected his confidence level and finally impacted his performance in AP exams. AP exam scores and lack of real research could be the reason for not receiving more interview calls. I think the same effected the final results from Drexel and NJMS after interview. Overall, in the end we are happy but I really wanted my son to stay closer to home which did not happen. Not getting interview from VCU GMED affected us the most as we are from Maryland, we had lot of hopes.

Apart from visiting VCU and Drexel the college visits to UCF and FAU might have helped us get into these programs. So, College visits are very important.

Don’t take your backup colleges too easily, I made sure we gave the best application for UCF BMS as it was our backup early assurance program.

Kids need to take AP exams very seriously. If you cannot accomplish good score on all subjects, give preference to Chemistry / Biology and Math.

Thank you to all admins and parents of the past forums as my son got most of the counseling from CC. Wish all the very best to the future applicants.

8 Likes

EDIT: Got some queries as to why PMM.

I’m OOS for all programs. I ruled out REMS since it was more expensive as compared to PMM (7 yrs). Ruled out Stony Brook & Cincinnati after factoring in the opportunity cost (8 yrs) and in the case of Cincinnati, I preferred staying on the east coast over Ohio. Boston was the most expensive & provided lesser flexibility in summer. And while Boston provides great opportunities, I wanted a less stressful UG experience.

A traditional college experience at Penn followed by Jefferson in Philly felt like the right fit for me. Despite Jefferson being mid-tier, it has stellar match lists and several specialty hospitals affiliated to it. Also, since I have substantial AP credits, I can finish PMM early in 2.5 or even 2 yrs. That would give me time to pursue research or travel. I did visit NJIT-NJMS and it was definitely hard to let go of it because of the price breaks it offered. It may have been my second choice had I not felt so strongly about PMM.

6 Likes

Hi there,
My son would be applying for next year. Can you please send me your info so I can call you,
Thanks,

I sent you my contact info

1 Like

Wrong site posting in other thread

Congratulations
What counselling company did you select

Sharing for my nephew.
(Side note: My son was also applying this cycle for CS. He committed to Georgia Tech and is keeping hope that he gets accepted from CMU’s waitlist).

GPA: 4.578 W (school does not offer UW)
Rank 1/400+
ACT: 36
SAT 1550
SAT Subject tests: Math, Bio, Chem - all 800

AP: 9 taken - all scored 5

LORs: Very strong; one teacher showed the LOR - it was very strong; Counselor also knew him

Awards

Science Olympiad: Nation and State Medalist - multiple times
National Merit Scholar
AP Scholar with Distinction
National Spelling Bee
Book Club Recipient

ECs

Research: at a local university (cut short by COVID)
Volunteering: Local hospital; local free clinic; Food pantries
Shadowing: ER doctor
Student Council: VP - very actively involved
Diversity Council: President - very actively involved
Local community council: Executive Leader - very actively involved
Debate Club: President
Tennis: Varsity Team Captain
Tennis: Coach for JV team

BS/MDs:

Case PPSP: interviewed - accepted
Stony Brook: interviewed - accepted
VCU: interviewed - accepted
RPI/AMC: interviewed - accepted
Hofstra: interviewed - accepted
FAU: interviewed - accepted

Syracuse/Upstate: interviewed - rejected
BU: interviewed - rejected
TCNJ/NJMS: interviewed - rejected
CUNY: interviewed - rejected
Downstate: interviewed - rejected

PMM, GW, Drexel, Pitt: rejected pre-interview
Brown: PLME rejected (Accepted undergrad)

Undergrad:
In-state: accepted
UPenn, Harvard, Dartmouth, Columbia - waitlisted

Decision: Case or Stony Brook

Reflection - what he shared with me:

"I applied broadly, based on the guidance of my external counselor. When he shared the odds of getting in, I decided to apply to more colleges than what I had in mind. In total, I applied to 22 schools - 17 BS/MDs and 5 regular undergrads.
I am fortunate that in my school I have a good rapport with my counselor and teachers and they really gave me very good LORs. As you can see, my ECs were not as extensive mainly due to COVID. Again, thanks to my uncle for referring me to my external counselor. I think their guidance made a huge difference. Four years ago, my sibling had applied to BS/MDs and got only 2 interviews - same school, same teachers, similar GPA/ Scores, more ECs than me, and frankly more qualities than me. But I was lucky to get 11 interviews. A big part was my essays and the role this external counselor played in helping them shape up.

Going in I was confident about my success but early rejection by PMM shook my confidence. I am still clueless about what happened there. But the interview call from BU helped me regain my confidence. Weekly touchpoints with my external counselor kept me focused on deadlines and tasks at hand. It is not fun to maintain my school work, and activities while writing essays and doing iterations on them to get to the right state. There were times I wanted to give up - writing essays was draining. Note to schools: What is that you cannot gauge from 2-3 essays that you want us to write 5-8 essays and that too of 500-750 words?

I did not spend any time on any forums. My external counselor’s guidance was valuable and pertinent that I did not feel the need to go on forums. My uncle, on the other hand, lived on these forums and occasionally brought things to my attention.

I had mixed results with my interviews - 6 resulted in acceptances and 5 in rejections. Interestingly, my best interviews were with BU and NJMS and both rejected me. Getting a rejection from BU hurt a lot. Another one was not being invited for the Pitt GAP interview. But I am very fortunate to have Case and Stony Brook offers. I like both colleges and that is what I am debating about. My uncle has shared some feedback he has obtained.

Advice to future students:

• Essays make a huge difference. Get someone - whether it is your teachers or external counselor - to not just read them and correct your grammatical mistakes but also challenge you on your thought process. For me, that was the biggest value my external counselor brought.
  • Make the best of your situation: If COVID shuts down doors, see what best you can make of it.
  • ECs: whatever I did, I was actively involved. None of my activities were meant to check any boxes. I genuinely liked doing them.
  • Rejections: They can unnerve you and make you lose your confidence. It happened to me after PMM. Fortunately, I had folks (sibling, parents, my external counselorto speak to. If you feel lost any time during the process
18 Likes

Sorry - looks like the last part of the copy-paste did not happen properly.

"If you feel lost any time during the process, make sure you speak to someone.

• Lastly: All the best."
2 Likes

Disregard

GPA: 4.0 (UW), 4.667 (W)

Class Rank: 1/341

SAT: 1550 (1570 Superscored)

AP’s (at time of application)
APUSH, AP Gov, AP Macroecon, AP Calc BC - 5s
AP Comp Sci A, AP Bio, AP Physics C: Mechanics - 4s
Taking AP Physics C: E & M, AP Stats, AP Chem, AP Lit this year

Teacher / Counselor Recs: Didn’t see, but I really had good relationships with teachers. Not sure if the recs stood out though.

Demographics:

• State: OOS for all BS/MDs
  • Ethnicity: ORM

Awards/Honors:

• National Merit Finalist
  • AP Scholar
  • Some school-wide awards

Major ECs:

• Founder and President of Tutoring/SAT Prep Club
  • President of an international community service organization at school
  • Heavily involved in Honor Societies at school - Vice President of couple honor societies throughout sophmore-senior year.
  • High School Basketball

Community service:

• Tutor for math and reading programs for students with learning disabilities
  • Heavily involved in temple - youth leader and charity initiatives

Medical ECs:

• Volunteer for medical relief program and volunteer in the world’s first-ever pacemaker reconditioning program.
  • Two volunteer research assistant positions at a university nearby dealing with traumatic brain injury.
  • Volunteer at multiple hospitals
  • In-person and virtual shadowing over summer

Applied to following BS/MD Programs:

UMKC Six-Year BS/MD Program - ACCEPTED

NJIT/NJMS - ACCEPTED
TCNJ/NJMS - ACCEPTED
Stevens/NJMS - ACCEPTED

FAU BS/MD - ACCEPTED
Hofstra BS/MD - Interviewed - Waitlisted - ACCEPTED
UCF BMS - ACCEPTED
UToledo Bacc2MD - ACCEPTED

SBU/GW BS/MD - Interviewed at SBU - Forwarded to GW - Offered to interview by GW Med School but declined due to conflict of dates.

RPI/AMC - Interviewed - Waitlisted
BU - Interviewed - Rejected
Other BS/MDs: PMM, Drexel, Case, UPitt, REMS, temple, VCU, UCincy, Brown PLME, SUNY Albany - Rejected.

Undergrad:
University of Michigan: ACCEPTED

Decision: NJIT/NJMS (full ride UG)

Reflection:

Wooh! I remember reading the result threads for previous years and always wondering when it would be my turn… well here we are. It’s a long process, so BE READY. A lot of essay prompts stay the same over the years like why med/why school, so start writing those right at the beginning of the summer before the application cycle. It can feel really long and arduous, but if you start ahead of time, you won’t have to worry about becoming overwhelmed.
With this process, you need to apply as broadly as possible, because like everyone says, the chances of an acceptance are extremely slim. All you need is one… so don’t sell yourself short by starting later, and as a result, applying to less schools.
For many students who are high achievers, they will have never faced this kind of ultra-competition or rejection before in their life. So just as it is important to be physically prepared, you need to also be mentally prepared.
Rejections are normal in this process, and that’s why, you can never go wrong with trying to get as involved as possible in extracurriculars. However, make sure you are not forcing yourself to do things, but rather genuinely love the ECs you partake in. Be passionate about this whole process, and it will feel like a pursuit of an opportunity rather than a burden. This will make things a lot easier.
HAVE A PLAN IN MIND. For this whole process, if you plan everything out, you will be much better off. Make a timeline for yourself, make sure you are organized, make sure you have all of the supplemental material sent in time (transcripts, essays, ap scores, etc…).
For interviews, know your application forward and backward. Stay well-versed in medical ethics. Be very natural and have fun with it. I know it sounds like really generic advice, but if you do that, you will have a great shot at being accepted.
Lastly, don’t dwell on any rejections. This process is so competitive that they could have rejected you just to narrow down their pool. There may be nothing wrong with your application. If you have put in the work over the last four years to make your application as good as it can be, you have nothing to worry about.

I really enjoyed the entire process but am so glad it is over. I feel like NJIT/NJMS is the perfect fit for me. My decision was solidified after visiting it. There are a lot of opportunities offered for the BS/MD students to do research but also explore things beyond medicine. The student life seems very vibrant and it is in super close proximity to NYC… the cherry on top is the full ride undergrad!

Please feel free to DM me with any questions!

15 Likes

GPA: 3.990 (UW), 4.388 (W) at time of application (one A- in Calc)
Class Rank: NA/420
SAT: 1580
APs: Chem (5), Calc BC (5/5), Lang (5), Spanish Lang (4), CSP (4), Micro (4), APUSH (4), Bio (current), Stats (current), Physics C Mechanics (current); 10 TOTAL

Coursework: Heavy on science classes from freshman to senior year, more biology/anatomy focused classes in senior year. Took a relatively high number of AP courses (almost every AP science class offered at my school) compared to other students at my school
School Type: Large public, average/below average for academics

State: Prefer not to say
Income: >150k

Essays: I think all of them were decent to strong, nothing out of the box or masterfully crafted (although I really liked one of my Penn State Essays)

LORs:

• AP Lang Teacher: not seen, assumed to be strong
  • AP Chem/9th and 10th grade science teacher: generic, summarized my resume and was not very personal
  • Counselor: Poor, obviously generic and used for all of his students
  • Mental Health Service Group Adult Coordinator: average, included nice personal remarks but also summarized my resume
  • Religious Group Adult Coordinator: excellent, included specifics about my character, work ethic, etc. Even included a sentence about how my persona would fit in well in the medical field

ECs:

1. Mental Health Service Group; President; 6 yrs; many hours
  2. Pediatric Clinic Volunteer; 1 yr; 200+ hrs
  3. Religious Group Volunteering for Underprivileged; Secretary; 4 yrs; decent hours
  4. National Honors Society; Secretary; 2 yrs; decent hours
  5. Varisty Tennis Team; 4 yrs
  6. HOSA; 4 yrs; few hours
  7. Part-time job at cafe; Shift Leader; 3 yrs; many hours
  8. Science Olympiad; 4 yrs; few hours
  9. “Research” w/ large in-state researrch university (ROLE WAS MINIMAL, I DID NOT OVERPLAY MY ROLE IN APPS); 2 months; 30 hrs
  10. Shadowing; 2 months; 30 hrs
  11. Science NHS, Math NHS, Spanish NHS; 2 yrs; few hours

Awards:

• Local Volunteer Recognition Award; won in 9th grade
  • National Merit Semifinalist
  • AP Scholar w/ Distinction
  • School Scholar of Highest Distinction
  • HOSA State Qualifier (11/12th grade)

Direct Med Programs:

1. Baylor - Rejected ← Accepted UG ← Invited to B2B Case Study Event
  2. Brown - Rejected UG
  3. Case - Rejected ← Waitlisted UG
  4. GW - Rejected ← Waitlisted UG
  5. Penn State - ACCEPTED ← Interviewed
  6. Rice - Rejected UG
  7. Union- Rejected ← Supplement ← Accepted UG
  8. UMKC - Rejected ← Accepted UG
  9. UPitt - Rejected ← Accepted UG
  10. Rochester - Rejected ← Accepted UG
  11. VCU - ACCEPTED ← Interviewed
  12. Drew - Rejected
  13. NJIT - Rejected ← Forwarded to NJMS ← Interviewed ← Accepted UG
  14. Rutgers - Rejected ← Accepted UG
  15. TCNJ - Rejected ← Supplement ← Accepted UG
  16. *Stony Brook - Rejected ← Supplement
  17. *UToledo - ACCEPTED
  18. *MSU BS/DO - ACCEPTED

Interviews:

• NJIT: First interview, was quite underprepared, left a good impression on interviewer however and was forwarded to NJMS
  • Penn State: Great conversation w/ student, got along well (Student interview was only used to see if applicants were “normal people”, as later revealed during accepted student info sessions). Left great impression on faculty interviewer who was already impressed by my resume and Lang teacher’s LOR
  • VCU: MMI Format, most stations went quite well, there was one station where I did not answer a few parts of the prompt and faltered quite a bit

DECISION: Penn State

Reflection:

• I had a BS/MD specific mentor in this process who mainly heavily edited essays and provided interview prep
  • My shadowing was well below average and my researcch barely counted as research but my volunteering at the pediatric clinic was stellar and provided for lots of patient interaction, which I highlighted in my essays
  • I stressed my mental health volunteering in my apps due to the large time commitment, leadership position, and connection to health
  • Essays are by far the most time-consuming part, start on those as early as you can
  • I saw programs that did not require MCAT to be the most desirable (Brown, Case, Rochester, Pitt) and spent extra time on those
  • Essay writing on top of schoolwork on top of tennis season was awful
  • Did not even receive a supplement from Pitt which was really confusing
  • Results started out quite positive (except Pitt) when I received lots of supplements and an NJIT interview but from December-Jan I received rejection after rejection
  • This prompted me and my parents (mostly my parents) to panic and make me “panic apply” to a few more programs, those programs are indicated with stars in my list
  • Prepared extremely thoroughly for my PSU and VCU interviews, including finding lists of interview Qs online, drafting out responses, practicing w/ mentor and mock interviews with my older brother (no med background) and some BS/MD students that mentor had worked with
  • The Direct Med application process is not the same as the normal process. Including interview prep, I worked on apps from July-Feb
  • Make sure to apply broadly but not too broad where you apply to programs of low quality. Do not “panic apply” as I did. Even though I was accepted to UToledo, the program is barely a guarantee and not worth the effort or consideration
  • You do not need amazing LORs, extensive researcch, or national awards to get into these programs. There is no doubt that these will help your application, but I feel that the most necessary parts of your application are coursework, patient interaction, and versatility. You also do not need to be set on medicine from an early age/grade. I was pretty set on STEM and only switched to medicine during 11th grade
  • Pace yourself throughout this process, push through burnout. The extra effort is definitely worth if you are accepted and get to skip the med school application process, and even if you do not receive any acceptances this is an amazing learning experience
10 Likes

deleted

1 Like

SAT: 1470 GPA: 4.0/4.0 uw
ORM/F/OOS

ECs: Science Olympiad President, Piano, Vocal music, Math Honor Society President, Science Honor Society officer, Student council, medical non-profit with worldwide impact, tutor (volunteer), part-time job

Medical ECs: virtual physician shadowing, covid vaccine clinic volunteering, science research internship (with publication), senior year research project on medical topic (paper written), medlife, couple other medical programs and clubs

Awards: PVSA (gold), piano awards, science olympiad state awards etc.

Essays/Recs: 7/10 ish

BS/MD Programs:

Rejected pre-interview: VCU, PSU, SUNY Upstate, UPitt

Interview + WL: UMKC (still on waitlist)

Interview + Accepted: LECOM

Accepted UG: UVA, W&M, Wesleyan, and all UGs for BS/MDs
Waitlist UG: Emory, Duke
Rejected UG: Harvard

Decision: LECOM eap program

Advice: Don’t procrastinate essays, and don’t lose hope if you get many pre-interview rejections. Remember that this is the first way to get in (not the only way to get in), and that there’s lots of future opportunities out there if this isn’t the path you end up choosing.

I really liked the erie campus at lecom, and how quiet and calm the city was (there’s a really nice beach/lake area for walking and rec activities like 5 mins away from housing/school). The admin was nice enough to accommodate me outside of their usual tour dates for an individual tour, which was really comprehensive and they answered all of my questions.

If UMKC accepts me, then I will re-evaluate and repost with an updated decision.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

9 Likes

Lecom is DO? We missed to apply that one.

Yes they have EAP with multiple undergrads: Early Acceptance Program | Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine

1 Like