BSMD/BSDO Applicants Undergrad and Medical School experiences

UTSW has much better reputation than OU and UTSW name recognition may help @GoldenRock’s D to get residency in CA.

@rk2017 That is an interesting point you brought up which we have not even thought about it. But in OU, the SOM (rather health science college) and the rest are isolated in many aspects, including it is 25 miles away. So for all purposes it is starting new at OU SOM but I am sure she can do well there for her residency from academic standing point of view. She has to test the waters at UTSW and small fish in big pond. Time will tell.

But agree with @srk2017 that probably if she wants to do her residency in CA, UTSW may be a better option than OU.
Again I never spent time in understanding residency process. Pretty much she is making her own choices and decisions after started at OU.

my spouse did research at UTSW 20+ yrs back as a FMG and that experience did help with securing residency and fellowship.

@GoldenRock,

That makes sense, especially if OU and med school campuses are spread out that far apart. However the med school reputations are over blown and even counter productive in some cases (just as Ivys are), what matters most is how well they do in the med school, not so much its reputation. Like for example some one attending Columbia and ending up in family medicine whereas someone attending Robert Wood Johnson (a very good med school btw) or UCF landing up in any specialization and place of their liking (like close to half a dozen kids from the recent past that I know in someway). Something to keep in mind. Good luck to your D!

Again, how well you do in school comes first and school reputation comes next. Also, lot of people purposely opt for IM and FM and you can’t purely tell by what speciality they go into. Someone I know did Brown PLME and IM residency at UCSF (20+ years back) and chose to not to do fellowship and working as PCP. It doesn’t mean that guy underperformed.
If you really want to compare, check competitive residencies like Ortho and Dermatology and where they matched. Even that won’t tell full picture since lot of them likes to stay in same region. Since @Goldenrock’s D is from CA I am suggesting UTSW reputation may help in securing residency in CA. We don’t need to keep going back on prestige discussion!

@rk2017 & @srk2017 : Hear both your view points and suggestions and appreciate.

At this point of time, it is too late for my D. She already withdrew acceptance at OU and committed to UTSW.
When she told what she did I was happy but for different reason. That is there is a direct non stop flight from 3 of the bay area airports to Dallas! It is not that I visit often. For OU, I went for orientation and I went last week for graduation. But still whenever I used to book her flights I felt having a place like DAL is much better than OKC.

Even she has not thought any thing about residency. She is a easy goer and takes one step at a time. My reading of her. Still she is clear about medicine career, not interested in pure science / research, but interested in helping people, community & public health and may go for half clinical and half heath care administration like that down the road.
She is not keen on primary care. Things can and will change. Let her do whatever she wants.

People do whatever they want and as we all know it constantly changes depending on what stage in life. Her own Pediatrician of 12+ years did UG at Stanford and MD at UCSD. But works at Kaiser as an employee but she had her own practice which she and her other partners sold to Kaiser 8-10 years back.

Recently we saw a Derm at Kaiser and she got her MD/Residency, from where Harvard. But she has chosen to join Kaiser right away as an employee. It all depends on what any individual wants to do and what matters to their unique personal situation.

@GoldenRock I agree with you. I said several times each person has their own reasons and we need to give construtive advice than keep saying don’t take any risks and just go to any medical school and open your clinic and make money.

BTW, Kaiser is the best place to work for in CA for physicians :wink: in 10 years there won’t be many private practices in m3kst cities and everyone is copying Kaiser model.

@GoldenRock Because of not having a direct flight to Norman/OKC and the medical school being in a different location (OKC, 25 miles apart with virtually no public transportation except driving) , DD did not choose OU MHSP two years ago.

@srk2017 “Kaiser is the best place to work for in CA for physicians ;-”

Why is that? Curious.

@suzyQ7 No need to worry about billing, excellent benfits which includes pension and retirement health benefits.

Hey all,

My kid is about to complete jr year. Should we be even applying for BSMD with below. I think another attempt at SAT might help. Please advise!

Weighted GPA: 4.25
Unweighted GPA: 3.97

SAT: 1500
ACT: 34

Slated to complete IB Diploma with IB Math, IB Bio, IB Chem, IB French and other courses.

Research Internship- 6 months+ in Hospital.
President in Leadership
NASA RockOn project
20+ hrs of job Shadowing exp
100+ hours of Volunteering experince with Tutoring+OFB

@purpledaisies - This thread is for those who already went thru BSMD process and in college now. Please create a new thread under http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/

DD returned from a two week medical mission to Peru. She enjoyed the trip and a chance to practice her Spanish with locals.

@grtd2010 Great, is that school sponsored program? What did she do?

@caballero Is it hard to keep GPA 3.75+ at UPitt?

Update on Step 1 score:
Our son is ok with his score, which is same as UPenn and WashU medical school average. Advise to all: start early with Anki decks in preparing for the test.
Good luck to all.

@upstream - thanks for the update, how “early” to start working with Anki decks?

@Andorvw
You’re welcome.
I would advise to start at least from the beginning of the second year.
You can follow the instructions on:
Shamim’s Guide to Medical School Using Anki (USMLE Step 1 and Class)

To moderators:

Please do not block above information, which is easily accessible to the public without a fee.

MODERATOR’S NOTE:

As presented, the post is fine,but as an FYI, a link would not be allowed